Southwest Airlines offer to convert travel funds to Rapid Rewards points

I received an email from Southwest Airlines yesterday, as I'm sure many of us did. I'm wondering what your opinions are and are you going to convert your credits to Rapid Rewards?

Wanna turn your qualifying travel funds into Rapid Rewards® points?
2122032-4913033-m-rreu-eHero1-RTF-to-poi

Any qualified travel fund that expires September 7, 2022 can now be turned into Rapid Rewards points. Since Rapid Rewards points never expire, you can use your new points whenever you want. Check if you have qualified funds soon—you can only convert your qualified funds through December 15, 2020.

Terms and Conditions:

To qualify, your travel fund a) must expire 
September 7, 2022, b) name must match the name on your Rapid Rewards account, and c) must have originated from a ticket purchased on Southwest.com®, booked by a Southwest Airlines® Customer Representative, or approved by your employer. You must request to convert your travel fund by December 15, 2020. Conversion is non-reversible. Rapid Rewards points cannot be used to pay taxes or fees.

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

I converted mine.  Hubby had $144 worth of travel funds.  They gave him 11,262 points.  If I were to USE points to book a $144 flight, it would only cost 10,262 so by converting we gained 1200 points.  

That's a good bonus! But of course, the number of points needed to travel could increase once normal travel traffic returns. I've noticed the number of points needed for my more frequently flown routes has increased over the years.

Southwest also has a shopping portal where you can purchase items and a variety of gift cards using your Rapid Reward points. So it's almost, sort of, a little bit like cash, so you're not stuck with just flight credits. I used all my points loading up on Starbucks and Target gift cards so it's like free shopping and coffee trips for me! ?

Yes I have noticed an uptick in points needed for flights.  My $99 each way trips to MCO used to cost right around 5500 points.  That is slowly edging closer to 6000.  But I use my SWA card for everything and pay it off each month.  For August & Sept, they are giving me 5 points per dollar instead of the usually 1 or 2 on grocery & gas purchases so I am loading my freezer and pantry!  Additionally, Walmart is listed in Chase's system as a grocery store so anything I buy there also gets the 5 points per.  I average 1500 points per month so it adds up fast.  Coupled with $600 in LUV vouchers issued because of a flight issue, I have booked 9 RT flights between last Feb and this coming March on points.  Gotta love free flights!!

Yes @twangster Just a you were commenting, I was reading about that perk/bonus/benefit that anyone who had A-List this year were automatically extended to the end of 2021 on the SWA website. Just converted our three travel funds, and it put us on the A-List through the end of 2021! Was totally pi$$ed with SWA initially, and now I must say I really appreciate this olive branch. Now, of course, the Rapid Rewards probably won't buy as much come next spring, but am much happier with the company's treatment of passengers.

Edit: Now if United would do the same!

16 hours ago, Pooch said:

Yes I have noticed an uptick in points needed for flights.  My $99 each way trips to MCO used to cost right around 5500 points.  That is slowly edging closer to 6000.  But I use my SWA card for everything and pay it off each month.  For August & Sept, they are giving me 5 points per dollar instead of the usually 1 or 2 on grocery & gas purchases so I am loading my freezer and pantry!  Additionally, Walmart is listed in Chase's system as a grocery store so anything I buy there also gets the 5 points per.  I average 1500 points per month so it adds up fast.  Coupled with $600 in LUV vouchers issued because of a flight issue, I have booked 9 RT flights between last Feb and this coming March on points.  Gotta love free flights!!

Another SW hack is to create some sort of Side Business where you can run business purchases through your card.  If you can get the coveted companion pass your doors really open up to travel.