The Demise of the Souvenir Cup?

FManke

I'm sorry if this was addressed in previous posts.

What will happen to the refillable cups given with the beverage packages? I can't see people using the cups over and over at the freestyle machines or having them filled at bars as they have discouraged people from using their own mugs and water bottles in the past.

It's a good question. I don't partake in the soda package, but I liked the souvenir cups from the "reusable" standpoint. Clearly we're going to pivot away from that.

I'm sure that to start with, the freestyle machines will be off limits, and you'll only get the fizzy stuff from the bars. Inconvenient, but not a big deal in the long run.

What comes next will be interesting, and it's probably predicated on what advances Coke puts into the freestyle machines. I'm reading that they're trying to add bluetooth/mobile app  support for the next gen machines, so that might work. 

But from a cruiser's standpoint - and I realize that this is easier said than done - it might be best to transfer the freestyle activation chip to a card (or maybe even the Seapass card) and the scanning location to the front of the machine. Again, easier said than done, since I'm sure that on the inside there are circuits and wires running everywhere to make a simple drink dispensing operation work. 

I think the Freestyle machines could probably be modified to limit an individual's contact with it, and I think I'm correct in saying that it doesn't survive on surfaces as long as initially thought. I'm not sure that there are insurmountable obstacles to keeping the machines as they are. OTOH, requiring every beverage transaction to involve a human at a bar is surely less than ideal. 

Specialty drink souvenir cups are the worst of both worlds: human contact required and something that has been trekked all over the ship/port/wherever. I'd imagine those go by the wayside for the time being.

2 hours ago, LizzyBee23 said:

and I think I'm correct in saying that it doesn't survive on surfaces as long as initially thought.

I believe you're correct. It didn't click until now but (at least in NY) we are all touching surfaces that others have touched and not sanitized, including ordering systems. Example: I just used a touch screen to order my lunch at QuickChek.

2 hours ago, LizzyBee23 said:

I think the Freestyle machines could probably be modified to limit an individual's contact with it, and I think I'm correct in saying that it doesn't survive on surfaces as long as initially thought

6 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

I believe you're correct. It didn't click until now but (at least in NY) we are all touching surfaces that others have touched and not sanitized, including ordering systems. Example: I just used a touch screen to order my lunch at QuickChek.

I think the greater concern would be that the cup that might have come into contact with someone's mouth comes into contact with the dispensing nozzle. I'll admit, looking at the Freestyle system this is less likely than a traditional lever type soda fountain, but not out of the realm of possibility.

2 minutes ago, FManke said:

I think the greater concern would be that the cup that might have come into contact with someone's mouth comes into contact with the dispensing nozzle. I'll admit, looking at the Freestyle system this is less likely than a traditional lever type soda fountain, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Yep, I agree it's more about the reusable cup, but surface touching might be a concern of the panel, CDC, etc. Probably more from a passengers prospective than a scientific one.

3 hours ago, LizzyBee23 said:

I think the Freestyle machines could probably be modified to limit an individual's contact with it, and I think I'm correct in saying that it doesn't survive on surfaces as long as initially thought. I'm not sure that there are insurmountable obstacles to keeping the machines as they are. OTOH, requiring every beverage transaction to involve a human at a bar is surely less than ideal. 

I remember on a recent(ish) cruise on Enchantment of the Seas (2018) that the ice machines and IIRC the Freestyle machines were staffed and you handed them your container. I can't for the life of me remember for sure if this was the case on my last cruise on Majesty December 2019. I remember the Freestyle machines in 2018 being staffed as that's the best place to get water and ice refills for your own containers. It's filtered to Coca-Cola's specifications. That's actually a big deal.

This staffing might be a possibility, but the cup would have to be cleaned in some fashion to transfer back and for between the parties. Not sure if that would be useful, but much better than 5000 of your closest personal friends and minions attacking the machine independently without supervision.

In 2018, It could have been that because we had no drink package, they wanted to dispense the water and ice as a loss prevention. Because people will do that.? Just like having every occupant of the room has to have a drink package. Because people.

5 hours ago, FManke said:

I'm sorry if this was addressed in previous posts.

What will happen to the refillable cups given with the beverage packages? I can't see people using the cups over and over at the freestyle machines or having them filled at bars as they have discouraged people from using their own mugs and water bottles in the past.

Might still get the cup, but won't use it until you get home.   Guessing disposable paper cups become the norm for awhile..

As far as the Freestyle machines I guess they could have a crew member wipe down the Freestyle touch screen and cup base between guests much like a big box retailer that does at the self check out registers.

The cups themselves are somewhat contact-less in that you just sit the cup in the machine, only the bottom touches anything.   The points of contact are the touch screen and the place where you sit the cup. 

Think of this like a self checkout machine at Walmart or a grocery store.  If staff wipe down the scanner area and touchpad it seems to work at home so this approach should work at a Freestyle machine.

17 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

The last 3 cruises that I was on did not allow self service at the ice cream stands - they were all staffed.

Makes sense especially now.   Sailed Liberty in Mar '20, and they were still operating next to the pool, and doing a really good job keeping clean and operational.

13 hours ago, twangster said:

As far as the Freestyle machines I guess they could have a crew member wipe down the Freestyle touch screen and cup base between guests much like a big box retailer that does at the self check out registers.

The cups themselves are somewhat contact-less in that you just sit the cup in the machine, only the bottom touches anything.   The points of contact are the touch screen and the place where you sit the cup. 

Think of this like a self checkout machine at Walmart or a grocery store.  If staff wipe down the scanner area and touchpad it seems to work at home so this approach should work at a Freestyle machine.

With the cup I think the concern is more about the splash when you're filling it up. 

6 minutes ago, KWong said:

With the cup I think the concern is more about the splash when you're filling it up. 

I don't recall large volumes of splash liquid occuring at the machines up to this point.  There is some I suppose but with clean liquid going in would need to be mixed with a lot of virus in a cup to reach the point of concern.  In the interim they could simply close the machines and only use bar glasses/cups to dispense beverages at bars.  Bring your souvenir cup home unused - it's a souvenir.  Honestly I'm more worried about elevator buttons and railings in the stairwells.  

When cruising first restarts I might even ask my cabin attendant to just drop off towels and skip the daily room refresh.  A cabin attendant moving from cabin to cabin to cabin is more likely to spread a virus than splash from a cup IMO. 

When I have been on ships without the Freestyle machines I just showed my card at the bar to show I had the drink package. And this also works if you've forgotten your cup in the room, or if you're in an area where there is no Freestyle machine. I would imagine this is a low priority for them but so many people use the machines they'll have to address it.

9 hours ago, twangster said:

I don't recall large volumes of splash liquid occuring at the machines up to this point.  There is some I suppose but with clean liquid going in would need to be mixed with a lot of virus in a cup to reach the point of concern.  In the interim they could simply close the machines and only use bar glasses/cups to dispense beverages at bars.  Bring your souvenir cup home unused - it's a souvenir.  Honestly I'm more worried about elevator buttons and railings in the stairwells.  

When cruising first restarts I might even ask my cabin attendant to just drop off towels and skip the daily room refresh.  A cabin attendant moving from cabin to cabin to cabin is more likely to spread a virus than splash from a cup IMO. 

Yeah I don't think it's a huge amount of splash from the dispenser. But all the same, you could have respiratory droplets on your cup and not know it, so probably an easy ask (although perhaps not an easy task) to switch from the chipped cups to a paper or plastic cup. Even if it makes zero effective difference from a health standpoint, it might be a good psychological move.

18 hours ago, KWong said:

Yeah I don't think it's a huge amount of splash from the dispenser. But all the same, you could have respiratory droplets on your cup and not know it, so probably an easy ask (although perhaps not an easy task) to switch from the chipped cups to a paper or plastic cup. Even if it makes zero effective difference from a health standpoint, it might be a good psychological move.

Or ban breathing on the ship...

I know it's not the same situation in some respects, but Five Guys in the UK are allowing customers to use Freestyle machines and reuse their paper cups in them. They say on their website they are sanitizing the touchscreens,  more often but I didn't witness this ( I wasn't watching for this though).

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 2:44 PM, Jolly Ogre said:

This is a non concern. 

The Covid-19 has a very low surface contact viability rate. I have not read or heard of any surface sample being able to be cultured at all.

Do not worry about this. 

This is not the same as a Noro virus.

Which is EXACTLY the reason all the protocols requiring surface sanitization of tables, chairs, door handles, shopping carts, etc. are a complete waste of time. I am VERY much against mask requirements based on verifiable evidence about their (lack of) effectiveness, but masks are more useful than surface sanitization (including frequent application of hand sanitizer).

5 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Which is EXACTLY the reason all the protocols requiring surface sanitization of tables, chairs, door handles, shopping carts, etc. are a complete waste of time. I am VERY much against mask requirements based on verifiable evidence about their (lack of) effectiveness, but masks are more useful than surface sanitization (including frequent application of hand sanitizer).

Well I would not say they are a waste of time. There are other contaminants that need to be cleaned off surfaces that have been prevalent for much longer than Covid-19. Noro, E.Coli, Salmonella and other bacteria have been around for a lot longer and the crews have done a wonderful job of keeping those at bay for years due to the cleaning  that goes on all the time that i see while on board.

Just make sure to do your due diligence  clean your surfaces, don't cough on folks, and please please wash your hands. It's just that simple.

6 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

Well I would not say they are a waste of time. There are other contaminants that cleaned off surfaces that have been prevalent for much longer than Covid-19. Novo, E.Coli, Salmonella and other bacteria have been around for a lot longer and the crews have done a wonderful job of keeping those at bay for years due to the cleaning  that goes on all the time that i see while on board.

Just make sure to do your due diligence  clean your surfaces, don't cough on folks, and please please wash your hands. It's just that simple.

As mentioned by @Jolly Ogre, I'd be more afraid of catching those things mentioned above from touch contact more than Covid-19. Covid-19 like the others do have one thing in common, passed from one person to another from poor personal hygiene practices. Come on people. Let's all do our parts!

20 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

Agreed with this. Everyone does their part, and the cumulative efforts will help minimize the chances of getting sick from COVID or other viruses.

On 9/4/2020 at 1:44 PM, Jolly Ogre said:

This is a non concern. 

The Covid-19 has a very low surface contact viability rate. I have not read or heard of any surface sample being able to be cultured at all.

Do not worry about this. 

This is not the same as a Noro virus.

If I remember my biology, Virus' need to be grown in/on a living thing, as they're really just partial RNA strands that require life to replicate.  When I read/hear culture,  I believe that pertains bacteria grown in petrie dish medium.  I recall fertilized chicken eggs being used to grow live virus for vaccine.  Virus can remain dormant on a surface for a period of time, but once its sequence is interrupted by chemicals or radiation (UV etc) of some sort, it won't be able to replicate.   Effectively dead - but they really aren't alive to begin with.  

2 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

If I remember my biology, Virus' need to be grown in/on a living thing, as they're really just partial RNA strands that require life to replicate.  When I read/hear culture,  I believe that pertains bacteria grown in petrie dish medium.  I recall fertilized chicken eggs being used to grow live virus for vaccine.  

Yes that is correct but for laymans terms it is easier to explain it that way. A virus is not really "alive" and needs a living cell to to replicate in. That being said my statement still stands, as surface swabs of known covid-19 samples have not shown to be be viable to be able to replicate in cells....better? 

1 hour ago, PG Cruiser said:

The more I read on topics like this, the more I am discouraged from cruising in the near future.  I'm imagining the tension, maybe even fights, over sanitation and hygiene measures.  That would be a very stressful vacation for me.

My wife and I talked about this, but I work in a supermarket and haven't seen this.  If anything, most people are basically behaving like they did pre-pandemic.....no social distancing, taking masks off to talk or make a phone call, touching everything on the shelf/case/bin to find the one they want, etc.....and no one else is getting upset.

Sure, there is the occasional person who comes to an employee to report someone going the wrong way in an aisle or not wearing their mask correctly, but that person is extremely rare.

7 minutes ago, teddy said:

My wife and I talked about this, but I work in a supermarket and haven't seen this.  If anything, most people are basically behaving like they did pre-pandemic.....no social distancing, taking masks off to talk or make a phone call, touching everything on the shelf/case/bin to find the one they want, etc.....and no one else is getting upset.

Sure, there is the occasional person who comes to an employee to report someone going the wrong way in an aisle or not wearing their mask correctly, but that person is extremely rare.

and this is why we are where we are

• 2 weeks later...