Time it takes to get crew on ships...

Does anyone know how long it takes for the cruise lines to get all of their staff back on the ships to begin sailing again?  It seems that they are all saying all staff have now been returned home; but it seems that it would take at least a few months to staff cruise ships in the US to begin sailing, right? 

We have a scheduled cruise December 27, 2020 but looks like if it does sail, it will be changed itinerary and very restrictive rules.  Not sure I want to spend so much money and be limited to options and ports. Any one else have a scheduled sailing on the Oasis of the Seas holiday trip to the Caribbean?

1 hour ago, Wende said:

Does anyone know how long it takes for the cruise lines to get all of their staff back on the ships to begin sailing again?  It seems that they are all saying all staff have now been returned home; but it seems that it would take at least a few months to staff cruise ships in the US to begin sailing, right? 

We have a scheduled cruise December 27, 2020 but looks like if it does sail, it will be changed itinerary and very restrictive rules.  Not sure I want to spend so much money and be limited to options and ports. Any one else have a scheduled sailing on the Oasis of the Seas holiday trip to the Caribbean?

I strongly suggest you Lift and Shift to next year.. The chances of your cruise happening at all is so small.. I was in the same situation as you. I had a family cruise booked on Allure for Dec 27 and then I lifted and shifted it to next year on Odyssey of the sea Dec 26.. I got a fab deal because I got to move to a brand new ship still during the holidays and they locked in the lower price so I can now go on Odyssey for the price of Allure 

No one knows how long it would take to get the staff back because there has never been a total shut down like this before.  Unless international travel restrictions get lifted well before cruising restarts, I would expect problems similar to getting the staff home.  Some staff will probably be stuck at home even if they want to come back.

Normally only a small percentage of a ship's staff changes at any one time.  This will be closer to staffing up a brand new ship but even that comparison isn't perfect.  A new ship usually gets filled by experienced staff from several existing ships.  Now, everyone will be new or out of practice and in need of training.

I think this is a large part of the statement that they will gradually restart cruises, a few ships at a time ... either way its hard but i think its easier to pull together 2-4 crews in a few weeks than it is to try and staff up 20 or more ships in a hurry ... the crew may not have all worked together before but you can get 4 ships worth of experienced people assembled  with plenty of backups to account for failed tests in transit, etc.

It will be interesting to see how many of the former cruise ship employees return to their previous jobs. It's good money for them, but, I think this damn Covid-19 has probably scared a good number of them away. I hope I am wrong. And. how long of a training program is it for waitstaff, room attendants, engine room workers, etc??

9 hours ago, Wende said:

We did. We lifted and shifted for one year later to Dec 26, 2021. 

On 8/13/2020 at 3:59 PM, Yo2slick said:

We decided to move our 2021 cruise to 2022.  With all of the uncertainty in the air, I would hope by 2022 all of this is behind us.  I hate having to wait that long to get back onboard but I would rather wait than have to change plans again.  I would be very surprised if a cruise ship leaves out of the US this year. 

Totally understandable.   By then some kind of vaccine and more therapeutics "should" be available so the hyper sensitivity should be reduced.