Storylines ... AMAZING !! My Retirement Dream !!

princevaliantus

This is basically a sea-going timeshare. You could be a permanent 12-month per year resident, but their calculators on the site default to 3 months per year. 

I see little or no incentive for the operators to keep up high levels of service once the entire boat is purchased. Yes, they do have all-inclusive monthly fees, but the incentives would be at best to keep it barely better than acceptable. A regular cruise line has to earn every cruiser's trust and $$$ every time a ship embarks. Not so here. They got you, because you already bought into this. Literally.

Could it work? Sure. But you would be taking a huge financial and life-altering risk. Oh, and BTW, you better be very healthy.

Hmmmm in my personal opinion this is not a really good value for the average person. 12 years at almost $300,000 is almost 5x the outward purchase price....not including a monthly assessment. It might actually be worst than a timeshare because cruising isn't for everyone...unlike land vacations that have a higher percentage of potentials. Then you really have to work to make it worth it because you could literally cruise Star class on Royal or Regent and get about the same deal. It is beautiful but not even a dream in my opinion.

3 hours ago, MrB said:

I see little or no incentive for the operators to keep up high levels of service once the entire boat is purchased. Yes, they do have all-inclusive monthly fees, but the incentives would be at best to keep it barely better than acceptable. A regular cruise line has to earn every cruiser's trust and $$$ every time a ship embarks. Not so here. They got you, because you already bought into this. Literally.

Thanks for bringing up this point. I hadn’t even thought about it.  It’s an excellent thought point.

One of the things that I thought about is the very fast depreciation that with this type of investment.  These vessels have a definite life span and the value of your “property” will begin to depreciate on day 1.  Unlike real property, the value of the investment will go down as the ship ages.  For someone who doesn’t care about their investment (for whom money means nothing), it would be an interesting possibility but if you don’t like seeing your investment depreciate rapidly, probably not a good investment.