Percent allowed to sail on first cruises?

When cruising starts back up do you think it will be at 50% capacity? maybe 40%?   So let's say a cruise is going with 40% and they are currently 80% sold. when do you think the 40% getting left on shore will be notified? 

•  
Edited by AshleyDillo
Removed random link at the end of the post.

I share the interest on that one.  Especially when travel may have been booked.  If you book through the cruise line, you're probably protected.   Guessing its going to be a 50% loading and they'll keep guests who book balcony rooms and above like suites (higher revenue).  So they can enable people to be exposed to increased air circulation and get at or above break even on the profit side.

Its the same general conversation as "once we do launch it wont be all the ships on day one, it will be a phased return to sailing" ... which means a lot of people are going to get a call with "hey we know that we announced we are cruising effective XX date ... but unfortunately your ship isnt sailing until 6 months later so we need to cancel your cruise".

I get why they aren't proactively shutting down itineraries but theres going to be a big round of backlash when we get to that point.

I think the concerns of limited capacity will be partially resolved with rooms not being released again after people take advantage of FCC or lift and shift. No matter when sailing resumes there will be many who won't want to sail due to the restrictions or health concerns.

All this being said, we took advantage of the sales to upgrade our June 2021 cruise to an oceanview from an interior hoping maybe that will give us a better chance of sailing!

1 hour ago, jticarruthers said:

Its the same general conversation as "once we do launch it wont be all the ships on day one, it will be a phased return to sailing" ... which means a lot of people are going to get a call with "hey we know that we announced we are cruising effective XX date ... but unfortunately your ship isnt sailing until 6 months later so we need to cancel your cruise".

I get why they aren't proactively shutting down itineraries but theres going to be a big round of backlash when we get to that point.

This is the main reason I see no point in booking anything for the foreseeable future.

On 8/12/2020 at 8:26 AM, Matt said:

The number I see mentioned is around 60-70% or so. 

I know the number varies by ship, but do these numbers have any correlation with the number of suites and balcony rooms? That seems to be the current logic for various reasons that they will restrict inside cabins.

I was reading Matt's excellent article on the front page about health protocols and came across 

the distancing part.  I mean, it's obvious that we are all going to have to adhere to that as much 

as possible, even on a cruise ship.

However - I'd like to see security enforce that policy when they put all those racks of discounted t-shirts out on the promenade!

Of Black Friday Crowd Sticker GIF | Gfycat

?

5 hours ago, Floski said:

I was reading Matt's excellent article on the front page about health protocols and came across 

the distancing part.  I mean, it's obvious that we are all going to have to adhere to that as much 

as possible, even on a cruise ship.

However - I'd like to see security enforce that policy when they put all those racks of discounted t-shirts out on the promenade!

?

That's one of the best parts of the cruise. Watching everyone go nuts for those $10 shirts and "Cruise Club" merchandise. The last 2 Voyager class cruises we were on we stayed in promenade view rooms and were enjoying the show with a birds eye view from the window? 

In fact if memory serves me correctly, on the Adventure cruise last year the shirts were $5.00. I actually went down on the promenade and saw one guest literally just grab as much shirts as she could going down the tables and then went over in front of a store, put them on the floor and size them, then bought what she wanted and left the rest. I had wanted to film it with my camcorder because it was so hilarious, but she had people with her that were watching out for her. 

On 8/12/2020 at 9:26 AM, Matt said:

The number I see mentioned is around 60-70% or so. That could be totally wrong, but it seems to be the figure mentioned, and I think it's what some lines in Europe are doing.

I personally would be extremely comfortable with this number, as I have stated in another thread I would gladly sail the first day that they allow the ships to sail.  I am perfectly happy just not having to worry about what to cook, or cleaning my room!  I would be happy relaxing, ordering room service, and sitting on the balcony watching the waves roll by!  I know that RCCL does a better job of cleaning than my local grocery store, or department store both of which I have had to frequent since this has started.  

MOO (my opinion only)...I think that if they are allowed to sail, and the ship is at a higher capacity than whatever limit is set, we may first see offers like airlines make when they have overbooked a flight...incentives for people to take a different sailing. 
For example...maybe onboard credits, flight credits, cabin upgrades, etc. 
Just a thought...

2 hours ago, cruisellama said:

Since you brought up the T-shirt entertainment, do you see them adding boxes of sanitizer wipes and little bottles of sanitizer to all the store inventories?  Maybe even some cruise logo masks?   Something to look forward to.

Wouldn't surprise me. Slap a Royal Caribbean sticker onto a bottle or package and double the price.