Not your usual "they cancelled my cruise" post...?

I was originally booked for September 27-October 4 on Oasis from Bayonne, and as a first time cruiser I LOVE the itinerary.  So instead of wallowing in despair of my cruise being cancelled, I'm thinking about going on Anthem with the same itinerary in February/March.

Has anyone done the Anthem 7 night Bahamas cruise from Cape Liberty cruise before?  What do you think of Anthem?

8 minutes ago, Thecatlady said:

I was originally booked for September 27-October 4 on Oasis from Bayonne, and as a first time cruiser I LOVE the itinerary.  So instead of wallowing in despair of my cruise being cancelled, I'm thinking about going on Anthem with the same itinerary in February/March.

Has anyone done the Anthem 7 night Bahamas cruise from Cape Liberty cruise before?  What do you think of Anthem?

Nope not yet, but if you choose the 6th Feb 8 day sailing you may well see us on board! ?

35 minutes ago, Thecatlady said:

I did it a few years ago in March.  Here is my blog on it.  Lots of thoughts...

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5780-anthem-of-the-seas-march-9-17-2018/

Not yet. Had that exact cruise booked this past March but it was in the first group that got cancelled. Rebooked for Dec bit recently lifted and sifted to next Dec. We even have it booked a second time as an additional backup in 2022. I'm almost obsessed with trying Anthem and this itinerary (CoCo Cay, Kennedy Space Center). Don't even mind that it won't be hot weather. Ship looks really neat and different . So no personal thoughts to share but agree it looks like a great cruise 

15 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I realize I've been and continue to be a negative nellie about this, but think hard about Feb 2021 and how realistically cruises can be expecting to sail again. Especially to the Bahamas, when they just closed their borders to all US citizens today with no stated expiration.

I get what you're saying.  I'm also usually a negative Nancy myself.  But this isn't a usual run-of-the-mill vacation for me, my original cruise was booked to celebrate me being cancer free.  I'm young, I could have easily been a statistic, and I know I'm being too positive and almost naive about The Bahamas reopening, but I have so much hope for 2021.  2019 was such a horrible year for me, 2020 took my celebration away, so now I'm keeping my fingers crossed 2021 will be absolutely epic for all of us ❤️

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I did it a few years ago in March.  Here is my blog on it.  Lots of thoughts...

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5780-anthem-of-the-seas-march-9-17-2018/

So pretty much stay away from the WJ ?. I loved your review!  Thank you!!

For what it's worth, I stay away from buffets for the most part too.  

33 minutes ago, MelKaps said:

I haven’t done Anthem out of Bayonne, but I did Explorer out of Bayonne in 2013. My advice is to dress warm in the beginning and end of the cruise since it is cold in February. It takes a day or two to hit warmer weather. You also hit the cold by the last day, too. 

I'm an upstate New Yorker, that frigid air is every day life for a good two or three months.  

16 minutes ago, Thecatlady said:

I'm an upstate New Yorker, that frigid air is every day life for a good two or three months.  

We have been on this itinerary in February and thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact we have it booked twice more. I highly recommend it. 

Also being from upstate NY I find Bayonne in February balmy ?. There was plenty of room at the sky bar on embarkation day ... while I relaxed with a cocktail wearing my shorts enjoying the ambiance ???

2 minutes ago, Ogilthorpe said:

We have been on this itinerary in February and thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact we have it booked twice more. I highly recommend it. 

Also being from upstate NY I find Bayonne in February balmy ?. There was plenty of room at the sky bar on embarkation day ... while I relaxed with a cocktail wearing my shorts enjoying the ambiance ???

You would get along great with my better half, I swear sometimes I think he was born in Sineria instead of New York State.

Also upstate NY resident. I've sailed NYC in January nearly froze my wife out of the room (had to be on balcony for sail away and left door open).

We have sailed out of Bayonne in late March to Caribbean on Explorer, wasn't too bad especially by the second day.

We have sailed on Anthem to Bermuda 3 times. Don't have a blog or any public pictures, but she's a great ship with tons to offer. I'm obsessed with the solarium! You will not be disappointed.

Edited by sk8erguy1978
Removed repeating

First part of this B2B was a 7 night to the Bahamas:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5068-anthem-112517-712-b2b

I love Anthem.  Sailed her four times, the last in January of this year.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5387-anthem-11918-9-night-bahamas/

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/17677-anthem-jan-5-2020-11-nights-southern-caribbean-recap/

I was supposed to sail her to Southampton in April but the pandemic happened.  I will sail her again, lots of good memories.  I turned Diamond and Pinnacle on her so she'll always have a special place in my heart.  

17 hours ago, Thecatlady said:

2019 was such a horrible year for me, 2020 took my celebration away, so now I'm keeping my fingers crossed 2021 will be absolutely epic for all of us ❤️

I am so very happy for you being cancer free!  You keep that positive attitude! Things will go your way for sure.  You deserve it!! Such wonderful news for you!

16 hours ago, Thecatlady said:

I get what you're saying.  I'm also usually a negative Nancy myself.  But this isn't a usual run-of-the-mill vacation for me, my original cruise was booked to celebrate me being cancer free.  I'm young, I could have easily been a statistic, and I know I'm being too positive and almost naive about The Bahamas reopening, but I have so much hope for 2021.  2019 was such a horrible year for me, 2020 took my celebration away, so now I'm keeping my fingers crossed 2021 will be absolutely epic for all of us ❤️

I can totally relate! My canceled May cruise was to celebrate 3 1/2 years NED from Stage 4b endometrial cancer. We rebooked for October to celebrate 4 years NED. If that gets canceled (which it most likely will), then we’ll look at next May to use our FCC’s. That’ll be 4 1/2 years NED. 

But by golly my October 2021 Odyssey Italy/Greece had better sail because I’m hoping and praying to be 5 years NED and officially into Remission. 

I was given a 15% chance of making it 5 years and we’ve been taking cruises to celebrate each milestone towards Remission. So bummed about no cruise(s). 

Congrats to you though! ❤️

19 hours ago, Thecatlady said:

I was supposed to be on this same cruise with my husband and in-laws ?! Personally, if I am going on a cruise, I would prefer to leave from somewhere warm. I'm from Western NY, and the weather is very unpredictable. You could leave in the middle of a snow storm with temps in the teens or you could luck out and leave with temps in the upper 30s low 40 (depending on when you would be leaving in March). I don't think you could go wrong with staying in the Oasis class. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you can sail then!

56 minutes ago, Jill said:

But by golly my October 2021 Odyssey Italy/Greece had better sail because I’m hoping and praying to be 5 years NED and officially into Remission. 

You will make it to the 5 years! Odyssey or not, you'll find another place/cruise to celebrate this fabulous milestone!

5 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

You will make it to the 5 years! Odyssey or not, you'll find another place/cruise to celebrate this fabulous milestone!

I sure hope so! I have a hereditary cancer gene (Lynch Syndrome) that has about a dozen cancers in the syndrome. Since I’ve had one, I have an 80% chance of developing another. We’ve lived on a small horse farm for 20 years and rarely traveled. Now we can and we can’t. ?

I've seen a lot of folks here mention motion sickness when sailing out of Bayonne. We are booked on Anthem out of Bayonne in March 2022 and my friend warned me that her sail from there was the roughest she's ever experienced. I'm getting a litle nervous, though there's not much I can do about it. I tend toward motion sickness and always wear a patch on a cruise, but i did get a bit sick on our last Disney Cruise out of Port Canaveral in March 2019. Is it really, really rough? How long does that tend to last? Thanks for sharing your experiences, especially if you have a queasy tummy like me! We're trying star class, so maybe I'll just ask my genie to take my nausea away for me, lol.

3 minutes ago, cruisinnewbie said:

I've seen a lot of folks here mention motion sickness when sailing out of Bayonne. We are booked on Anthem out of Bayonne in March 2022 and my friend warned me that her sail from there was the roughest she's ever experienced. I'm getting a litle nervous, though there's not much I can do about it. I tend toward motion sickness and always wear a patch on a cruise, but i did get a bit sick on our last Disney Cruise out of Port Canaveral in March 2019. Is it really, really rough? How long does that tend to last? Thanks for sharing your experiences, especially if you have a queasy tummy like me! We're trying star class, so maybe I'll just ask my genie to take my nausea away for me, lol.

It honestly depends. We sailed Explorer to Caribbean in March and don't recall anything major. We sailed NCL Gem out of NYC on 1/11/2011 and a blizzard was coming in, WOW that ship was rocking, but we survived. Anthem is a big ship I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

When did your friend sail? Was it one of the times the captain took her through a major storm that hit all the news stations? Because that's rare. Now with James Van Fleet monitoring all weather all the time, you'll be fine.

I also have never gotten sea sick, and been in some rough seas ... although I keep trying to pass that one time I drank too much rum punch off as sea sickness to my wife... she isn't buying it . ?

3 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

When did your friend sail? Was it one of the times the captain took her through a major storm that hit all the news stations? Because that's rare. Now with James Van Fleet monitoring all weather all the time, you'll be fine.

I'm honestly not sure when she sailed, but she didn't mention a storm so I think she just felt like it was super choppy compared to other ports she's sailed from. I will definitely avoid any rum punch until we are well on our way south! ?

9 minutes ago, cruisinnewbie said:

Is it really, really rough? How long does that tend to last? Thanks for sharing your experiences, especially if you have a queasy tummy like me!

As @twangster always says, and he can word it better than me, but motion varies depending on so many factors that it is hard to predict based on someone else's experience.  That being said, my daughter and I are both really sensitive to motion.  We sailed Anthem out of Bayonne twice.  Once was in March, the other time in July.  Both times we had a JS that was mid ship. There was considerably more motion in March than there was in July.  March sailing we had to take our meds for motion.  July we did not.  I also feel like Anthem is not as steady as Oasis class.  But I do not know enough about the way ships are built to back that up lol.

6 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

As @twangster always says, and he can word it better than me, but motion varies depending on so many factors that it is hard to predict based on someone else's experience.  That being said, my daughter and I are both really sensitive to motion.  We sailed Anthem out of Bayonne twice.  Once was in March, the other time in July.  Both times we had a JS that was mid ship. There was considerably more motion in March than there was in July.  March sailing we had to take our meds for motion.  July we did not.  I also feel like Anthem is not as steady as Oasis class.  But I do not know enough about the way ships are built to back that up lol.

I was reading your live blog from the March trip and getting queasy just thinking about it, lol. I will be medicated up the wazoo for the first couple of days. We're in the GLS all the way aft, so I'm worried about that as well. Mind over matter - there's no barfing in star class! ?

7 minutes ago, cruisinnewbie said:

I was reading your live blog from the March trip and getting queasy just thinking about it, lol. I will be medicated up the wazoo for the first couple of days. We're in the GLS all the way aft, so I'm worried about that as well. Mind over matter - there's no barfing in star class! ?

Actually I someone told me before that when they sailed Star on Oasis, they got sick (motion) and their genie found out and she went out of her way to help her feel better, ginger, apples, meds, all sorts of remedies lol. So it’s not too far fetched to call the genie ?

So exciting for trying Star. It is wonderful. And the lofts at the back of Anthem have fantastic views.

8 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Actually I someone told me before that when they sailed Star on Oasis, they got sick (motion) and their genie found out and she went out of her way to help her feel better, ginger, apples, meds, all sorts of remedies lol. So it’s not too far fetched to call the genie ?

So exciting for trying Star. It is wonderful. And the lofts at the back of Anthem have fantastic views.

We are so psyched! This is our third attempt at our first RC cruise. We've gone from junior suite on Anthem to Aqua Theatre 1 bedroom on Oasis up to Anthem GLS in the process, lol. I keep saying, "well we're already in this much... and we have so many months to pay it off..." All out of Bayonne, though, to avoid having to fly as well. I will put something in my genie survey about having seasickness remedies ready to go. I read something about the spa doing motion sickness acupuncture, which sounds cool. 

Trying to predict or estimate motion conditions is like asking if it will be sunny on the cruise.  There is a lot of luck involved, sometimes good and sometimes bad luck.  Any ship can be impacted by ocean swell.  Waves and swell are very different and have a different impact to a ship.   Even the largest cruise ship in the world can have motion from swell if the conditions are right.

My step daughter has a hard time riding in the backseat of a car on the interstate sometimes but has yet to have any problems on any ship.  Be prepared, talk to your doctor, try some motion medicine before sailing so you can see how it impacts you (sleepy vs non-drowsy, etc).  Sometimes just being prepared can increase confidence and reduce worry or stress.

This just popped into my head...I know sometimes it's difficult to leave the bed when your stomach feels upside down, but what helps my wife (she is known to get sick day one as she adjusts) is to get to mid-ship & lower deck. One example was the Schooner Bar on Explorer, it was a great place for her to have a ginger ale and relax a bit and she started to feel better; mind you that was after being in bed for a few hours having taken the meds, ate toast, etc, etc.

24 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

This just popped into my head...I know sometimes it's difficult to leave the bed when your stomach feels upside down, but what helps my wife (she is known to get sick day one as she adjusts) is to get to mid-ship & lower deck. One example was the Schooner Bar on Explorer, it was a great place for her to have a ginger ale and relax a bit and she started to feel better; mind you that was after being in bed for a few hours having taken the meds, ate toast, etc, etc.

This is great advice - thank you so much!

9 hours ago, twangster said:

First part of this B2B was a 7 night to the Bahamas:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5068-anthem-112517-712-b2b

I love Anthem.  Sailed her four times, the last in January of this year.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5387-anthem-11918-9-night-bahamas/

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/17677-anthem-jan-5-2020-11-nights-southern-caribbean-recap/

I was supposed to sail her to Southampton in April but the pandemic happened.  I will sail her again, lots of good memories.  I turned Diamond and Pinnacle on her so she'll always have a special place in my heart.  

Thank you!!! I feel like I'm all set to go cruising after reading this!

8 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

I am so very happy for you being cancer free!  You keep that positive attitude! Things will go your way for sure.  You deserve it!! Such wonderful news for you!

Thank you!  I got official news I was cancer free two weeks before Christmas, it was the best Christmas gift ever. So far all my follow up tests are negative, and every time I celebrate with a glass of champagne ?

8 hours ago, Jill said:

I can totally relate! My canceled May cruise was to celebrate 3 1/2 years NED from Stage 4b endometrial cancer. We rebooked for October to celebrate 4 years NED. If that gets canceled (which it most likely will), then we’ll look at next May to use our FCC’s. That’ll be 4 1/2 years NED. 

I was given a 15% chance of making it 5 years and we’ve been taking cruises to celebrate each milestone towards Remission. So bummed about no cruise(s). 

Congrats to you though! ❤️

You will definitely make it to five years ❤️

Congratulations ????

Anthem has plenty of indoor areas, so you can be out of the cold while up north.  We sailed Anthem Thanksgiving 2018 and it was fantastic.  We loved it so much we have her booked for Thanksgiving next year.  I will say we were one of the unlucky sailings that hit a storm on the way back.  You could hear metal clanking in the 270 lounge, there were  bags hung all around the ship to grab just in case, and the captain kept coming on saying "if you haven't taken anything yet and you don't feel good, this isn't going to get any better.  Take the meds!"  I had wrist bands on and it helped (I take no chances since getting sea sick while leaving NYC on Norwegian once in calm waters.  The poor waiter was trying so hard not to laugh at me "ma'am the seas are completely calm!"  But he was amazing and found me green apples, ginger ale, and crackers and wrapped it all up to take back to the room).

Be sure to keep an eye on the cruise planner and get iFly booked before getting on the ship.  My family didn't listen to me about booking in advance and were royally ticked off that they didn't get to do it.  Also, if you can, get a slot on the first sea day.  That way if they can't open due to rough seas, there MAY be a chance they can reschedule you for another sea day.  A lot of people didn't get to do it on our sailing because of the rough seas.