Disembarkation TImes?

I have taken three cruises in the past and I know that embarkation times have been merely suggestions. No matter what time I had chosen/been assigned I just showed up at about 10:30 and waited in line. 

My question is about disembarkation times. They always seemed to much more of a requirement than a suggestion. If assigned 9:30 am, I was waiting for them to call the time and I would get off, just like a good boy should. Were disembarkation times really just as fluid as embarkation times?

I know it really didn't matter because there wasn't much to do onboard anyway, but I was just wondering.

Of course, from what we have heard, embarkation times are likely to be strictly followed in the future to help with social distancing.

TIA

Steven

Disembarkation times are much more set in stone due to them needing to get people's luggage off of the ship and into the terminal before people were released from the ship - so they stick to the times.  If you choose self-disembarkation or self assist), where you don't put your luggage out the night before and instead carry it all of yourself, you can disembark on your own schedule, more or less.

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Disembarkation times are much more set in stone due to them needing to get people's luggage off of the ship and into the terminal before people were released from the ship - so they stick to the times.  If you choose self-disembarkation or self assist), where you don't put your luggage out the night before and instead carry it all of yourself, you can disembark on your own schedule, more or less.

This is what we almost always do. When we first started cruising 20 years ago, like so many people, we waaaay overpacked which necessitated using the luggage service (our hands had to be free for the duty free alcohol ? )....now, we pretty much have our packing down to a science and even for a 7 night cruise my husband and I have 1 suitcase and 1 backpack so we can walk off whenever we want. Much easier (in my opinion).

21 hours ago, stevendom57 said:

I have taken three cruises in the past and I know that embarkation times have been merely suggestions. No matter what time I had chosen/been assigned I just showed up at about 10:30 and waited in line. 

My question is about disembarkation times. They always seemed to much more of a requirement than a suggestion. If assigned 9:30 am, I was waiting for them to call the time and I would get off, just like a good boy should. Were disembarkation times really just as fluid as embarkation times?

I know it really didn't matter because there wasn't much to do onboard anyway, but I was just wondering.

Of course, from what we have heard, embarkation times are likely to be strictly followed in the future to help with social distancing.

TIA

Steven

We do self-assist, as others described, since Royal lost my wife's suitcase once on disembarkation.  The advantage is that we are one of the first off the ship, which helps us on our long drive home.  The disadvantage is that we miss a leisurely breakfast.

When we fly, we try to get the air valet service, which eases the stress on disembarkation.  We find that Oasis class ships have two lines leaving the ship, and we move fairly quickly.

The disembarkation times are about what time your luggage will be ready to pick up in the terminal.

You could walk off the ship anytime you want, but the luggage you left outside the room is estimated to be ready for pickup in the terminal around the time you are assigned.

23 hours ago, krhardy said:

This is what we almost always do. When we first started cruising 20 years ago, like so many people, we waaaay overpacked which necessitated using the luggage service (our hands had to be free for the duty free alcohol ? )....now, we pretty much have our packing down to a science and even for a 7 night cruise my husband and I have 1 suitcase and 1 backpack so we can walk off whenever we want. Much easier (in my opinion).

Wish I could do that, but can't yet with the kids (too much stuff for me to carry). But soon, soon.

We've always done the self carry off, and left when we felt like it, except this last time, we decided to put the luggage out and go on our time schedule. I must say - this was a MUCH easier option than I realized. I figured it would be royal pain, but honestly, no line, no waiting to get off, and bags were right there. Only glitch was my mother in law packed ALL her pants ? and we had a panicked search for acceptable pants the morning of departure (she worry my super stretchy pajama pants off the ship ?). Pretty sure, unless we're in a BIG hurry (and we never will be, because we sail from Galveston and live about 35 minutes from port) - we will mostly likely use the time slot departure in the future. 

1 hour ago, KWong said:

Wish I could do that, but can't yet with the kids (too much stuff for me to carry). But soon, soon.

I remember reading your blog and you have two kids right? 

When we travel with our two girls (now 12 and 14), but even when they first started cruising at 4 and 6, our first rule was no one is allowed to pack more than they can carry or wheel or their own.  We always do self-disembark and the kids are allowed one backpack on their back and one small  21 inch luggage that wheels.  Whatever they need to back must fit into that.  If it doesn't fit, it doesn't come.  It's worked so far and hubby is not like my poor dad who used to carry all the luggage for his 3 girls way back when lol.

We have to do RC depart times, although we have been able to change early times to later ones (necessary with our family -- early rising not our forte, AND 2 mobility impaired people, 1 in a wheelchair,  so that's 2 people who can't carry anything (yes, you can hang some stuff off the chair, but can't wheel anything. I'm a notorious overpacker, but in my defense, the wheelchair user has significant medical issues, so I tend to overdo on the "just in case" stuff. Never really had a problem getting off and out -- we grab a porter & gladly pay the gratuity for help.  When Bayonne still had the outside lot several years ago, 1 guy really earned his tip -- he went all the way with DH to the car & helped him pack it!