For a clue into US cruise timing, watch the college football season.

MrB

One of the ten Division I college football conferences (MAC) just cancelled their fall schedule. If the other Division I conferences follow suit, which is certainly a possibility if not completely likely, then you can probably forget about US cruising until 2021. If they cancel college football, cruise lines don't have a chance to petition to start up any time soon.

The other major conferences have been dancing around this decision, most are expected to make a "final" call in the next few days.

In the US, cancelling Division I Football is akin to the apocalypse.

4 minutes ago, CruisinForABruisin said:

In their press release they said they were doing that because it wasn't profitable, it's not about the kids health, they don't care about them, just money 

Yup. The MAC schools and some of the other lesser conferences only make money when they play the larger powerhouse schools. That wasn't going to happen this year, so they threw in the towel.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 3:36 PM, MrB said:

One of the ten Division I college football conferences (MAC) just cancelled their fall schedule.

Correction - that's one of ten Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) conferences that cancelled.

To date 11 of the 23 Division I conferences have cancelled - Big Sky, Colonial, Ivy, Mid-east Athletic, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Patriot, Pioneer, and Southwestern Athletic  of the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) - the highest level of college football with an NCAA Championship all cancelled before the MAC.

based on what we have already seen with some schools going back and already having problems with infection, additionally the problems that Major League baseball is having (that not even a full contact sport).  I am surprised the NCAA just doesn't step in and cancel.  Based on science, that would be the smart thing to do

On 8/8/2020 at 2:36 PM, MrB said:

In the US, cancelling Division I Football is akin to the apocalypse.

Big Ten Conference cancelled the fall football season.  They may play a conference schedule in the Spring.  What is this world coming to???  Looking forward to basketball season now ...  Go Hawkeyes!

I work in higher ed at an SEC school...I can tell you that the paranoia over having students on campus much less contact sports is incredible. The staff at the Athletic department are saying that even IF they start playing, they don't think they will get past game 2.

Compare that with Hurtigruten, and then look at Aida and MSC. I understand MSC committed to paying medical bills for people who contract it on one of their ships. That's bold. At some point, everyone will just have to get on with it.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

The fact that Royal has secured credit to get through 2021 without cruising revenue should tell you all you need to know.  It's going to be a while.

Shall I go ahead and lift and shift my Jan 3, 2021 cruise to 2022 now or wait awhile until closer to the final payment date? 

After the January cruise there is a trans Atlantic cruise in April 2021 which was supposed to have happened April 2020.  I cancelled the April 2020 cruise and received a large FCC.  Assuming that England will let me get off the ship in Southampton I would like to go.  Unfortunately, there are stops in Canada, The Azores, Spain and France too.  I suppose I can lift and shift that cruise just as soon as the schedule for the rest of 2022 comes out.  

Then there is my August 2021 Alaskan cruise which I think might still happen --- I promise not to get off the ship in Canada.

I just don't need anymore large FCCs.  Am I correct that CWC involves no cancellation/change fees and only my deposit amount becomes a FCC??

23 hours ago, DunkelBierJay said:

I work in higher ed at an SEC school...I can tell you that the paranoia over having students on campus much less contact sports is incredible. The staff at the Athletic department are saying that even IF they start playing, they don't think they will get past game 2.

Compare that with Hurtigruten, and then look at Aida and MSC. I understand MSC committed to paying medical bills for people who contract it on one of their ships. That's bold. At some point, everyone will just have to get on with it.

Are you at Vandy? ??

Go Dawgs ?

On 8/13/2020 at 4:15 PM, Dad2Cue said:

Shall I go ahead and lift and shift my Jan 3, 2021 cruise to 2022 now or wait awhile until closer to the final payment date? 

To each their own.  I'm holding out until the last minute hoping cruises will sail, yet preparing myself for disappointment if they don't.  I have a reminder set at 95 days out to make a decision.  I don't think anyone has a crystal ball clear enough to predict very much right now.