Hmmm...looks like reduced capacity is happening

Jill

So we are booked on Odyssey out of Rome October 2021. Friends wanted to join our group and literally no cabins available. It says interior staterooms not available. Ocean view not available. The only balcony rooms available are handicap accessible. 

Ive never seen this before. Either the whole ship is booked or they’ve already sold a certain percentage for reduced capacity. 

Now for my May Symphony in 2021, lots of interior cabins available. ?‍♀️

Since some of the Odyssey sailings were cancelled, it could be that RCG is holding the rooms back or a ton of L&S have occurred. My Oct 2021 Allure had almost all the rooms opened before the Liberty fiasco. Now when I do a mock booking, there aren't as many rooms available. I don't think they have started reducing capacities just yet, I think some itineraries are booked up.

7 hours ago, Jill said:

So we are booked on Odyssey out of Rome October 2021. Friends wanted to join our group and literally no cabins available. It says interior staterooms not available. Ocean view not available. The only balcony rooms available are handicap accessible. 

Ive never seen this before. Either the whole ship is booked or they’ve already sold a certain percentage for reduced capacity. 

I think it depends.. I am on the Odyssey Dec 26th 2021 sailing and I just checked and you can still book inside cabins. So I guess it just depends on the sailing. 

3 hours ago, USFFrank said:

If it's that one particular cruise, perhaps maybe a partial charter?

2 hours ago, Jill said:

Oh joy. 

I understand completely. The first cruise I ever went on had a partial charter of cruisers I was not particularly thrilled to be around, but they didn't give me much trouble. I just politely said no thank you the 2 times someone from them approached and started to speak to me. I know there was a thread about this earlier this year. I wish the cruise lines would let let potential guests know if there's a partial charter on any given cruise and who's doing it. I guess they don't do that because regular guests may cancel, or not book a cruise if they knew the one they're interested in is partially chartered. 

9 hours ago, USFFrank said:

I understand completely. The first cruise I ever went on had a partial charter of cruisers I was not particularly thrilled to be around, but they didn't give me much trouble. I just politely said no thank you the 2 times someone from them approached and started to speak to me. I know there was a thread about this earlier this year. I wish the cruise lines would let let potential guests know if there's a partial charter on any given cruise and who's doing it. I guess they don't do that because regular guests may cancel, or not book a cruise if they knew the one they're interested in is partially chartered. 

Several years ago our Oasis Cruise was partially chartered by LulaRoe. They make obnoxious leggings for women but men were wearing them too. It’s a MLM scheme and those people kept trying to sell to passengers. They were quite annoying. Men in leggings ?

There are many groups that are lifting and shifting to 2021 so it could be they are holding back some inventory while these groups and charters get settled.  They have about 30 days to work on this and contract it where they hold inventory - so this might be adding to the inventory issues.

2 hours ago, AnnetteJackson said:

There are many groups that are lifting and shifting to 2021 so it could be they are holding back some inventory while these groups and charters get settled.  They have about 30 days to work on this and contract it where they hold inventory - so this might be adding to the inventory issues.

Hopefully it’s just agency groups. We’re currently booked in a MEI group rate 

On 8/6/2020 at 12:22 PM, Ampurp85 said:

Since some of the Odyssey sailings were cancelled, it could be that RCG is holding the rooms back or a ton of L&S have occurred. My Oct 2021 Allure had almost all the rooms opened before the Liberty fiasco. Now when I do a mock booking, there aren't as many rooms available. I don't think they have started reducing capacities just yet, I think some itineraries are booked up.

What Liberty fiasco are you referring to?  Being in Texas, always interested in references to the Liberty.

@B&S Liberty was supposed to be amped, Galveston terminal expanded, and Allure was moving there. Since COVID 19 happened all that was scrapped. RCG also had a snafu where those on the oasis class Allure, were moved to Liberty with no regard to their initial bookings. There are a couple of threads that deal with the whole thing.

On 8/6/2020 at 9:57 AM, Jill said:

Betting the higher revenue cabins are what is retained.    With the goal to use all the rooms with  balconies to maximize available fresh airflow.

19 hours ago, CynBeth said:

Did you just go online?  I ask because when we booked our June 2021 cruise in May of this year everything we looked at said it was not available but when we called the rep got us what we wanted.  

I've had that happen to me once while looking at a cruise. For whatever reason, sometimes on line you may not see too many rooms (or the one you really want) available for a particular cruise. But the Royal cruise reps (and perhaps travel agents) are able to see what's actually available.