Coastal Kitchen and Suite Lounge Beverages

jagnew

You can walk over and get drinks.

Most of the time, if you are dining in CK, the waitstaff will actually go and get you the drink from the suite lounge bar. One of my favourite things to do when dining in CK is to swing by the bar and grab a lemon drop martini or cosmo and carry it over to dinner. Often, the bartender will even bring the drink over for me. ?

Now I really miss CK and the suite lounge after typing this. 

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

Can you explain “deck 17”?  Our suite is on deck 10.  Is there a secret handshake to access deck 17???

Deck 17 is the suites' deck.  Anyone can get up there but sometimes they have the doors to the suites themselves locked.  Most of the time they don't though.  Of course, there are suites on other decks besides 17 but that's where the big suite are plus the suites lounge and the Coastal Kitchen.

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

Can you explain “deck 17”?  Our suite is on deck 10.  Is there a secret handshake to access deck 17???

Deck 17 on Oasis class can be accessed either by the aft set of elevators or by the aft set of stairs. Once there, access to the suite lounge/CK area is by seapass card. At times, the glass doorway leading into the loft hallway is closed. If that is the case, access is also by seapass card. 

I have done a GS on deck 7 and a CLS on deck 17.  I am in the minority that prefers being on the lower deck.  When I was on 17, I felt isolated from the rest of the ship.  When my suite was closer to the rest of the ship, I felt more a part of things and experienced a lot more of what the ship offers.  It is easy to just stay on 17, and you miss a lot that way.  

1 hour ago, Fairlynew said:

I felt isolated from the rest of the ship.

That's the whole point for the Deck 17 suite snobs! lol  kidding

I've done a GS on Deck 12 before so I know exactly what you mean.  However, depending on the type of cruiser you are, isolation might not be a bad thing.  All I can say is that the wide hallways of Deck 17 are hard to beat, and I have not once (on Deck 17) heard kids running down the hall or been a victim of "ding dong ditch" as my own kids call it. ? Cannot say the same for suites on the lower decks.

1 hour ago, Fairlynew said:

I have done a GS on deck 7 and a CLS on deck 17.  I am in the minority that prefers being on the lower deck.  When I was on 17, I felt isolated from the rest of the ship.  When my suite was closer to the rest of the ship, I felt more a part of things and experienced a lot more of what the ship offers.  It is easy to just stay on 17, and you miss a lot that way.  

I did a GS on Harmony on deck 6.  I loved the easy access to the ship.  It's such a convenient deck to reach everything except the pool deck.  

The downside was that a grand suite is nowhere as impressive as a loft suite.

We had the beverage package so the Schooner Bar was our closest point to obtain beverages so from that perspective the trip to deck 17 was only required for CK. 

I had the opportunity to upgrade to an L1 but it was another $1,200.  I opted for the beverage package for two and used the surplus to pay for a few excursions. 

I missed being in a loft suite but really liked the location of the GS on deck 6.  A loft suite that used decks 6 & 7 would be the ultimate and best of both worlds.    

Agree that some will love deck 17 and others may not.  Our Star Loft Suite is scheduled for December so hoping that cruise happens but I know that we like the isolation.  We have done some other lines in a similar isolated environment and it is fine for us, we are mostly there to relax and decompress so we don’t need much of the other “stuff”.  Contrasting what we expect on the December cruise with our past experience with a GLS on Ovation, there was too much out and about for relaxing, the lounge and CK (And other things) on the Quantum class are just too spread out.  We loved the cruise and experience and had expected more activity anyway.

I think this is where the demarcation is made for those who "would never pay for a suite b/c I only sleep and shower there" and those who love the suite b/c they WANT to be able to enjoy their room.  I love deck 17.  It is so convenient and quiet and exclusive (sorry if this word offends some.  Not my intention).  I also enjoy being midships and being closer to the "action".  It all comes down to what you enjoy and what you want to do.  We eat, sleep, gamble, go to a few shows and hang out in our room.  We do NOT go to the pool, lounge around in the sun, play trivia, play putt-putt, use Adventure Ocean, go on the flowrider or water slides or hang out at the bar (much...).   we're kinda boring.  ...but we love our suites.  We spend a lot of time in there.  We like having parties there, if the occasion presents itself.

I just booked a Loft suite on the Symphony for next August.  I wanted a suite in order to get the Sky Class benefits,  Not to isolate but  in today's world, having access to areas that aren't as crowded is a good thing to me.  And if they got too crowded for comfort, whether for covid reasons or just too many people, we'd at least have a bigger room/balcony to hang out in.  We are boring cruisers too and hang out on the pool deck doing a lot of reading.

I originally looked at a Grand Suite but by the time I got with the TA, the last one was gone so I went to the crown loft.  My logic was that my FCC was already a sunk cost so the additional price was the cost for this cruise.  It's our first time in a "real" suite so I am really looking forward to it.  

1 minute ago, twangster said:

I think you'll love the loft suite, they are very unique and truly impressive.  

Thanks  I'll still price check but I don't think I'll drop to a GS if one comes open, I'll stick with the Loft.  My only concern is any increased motion as my wife can be susceptible to motion sickness but she wanted to try the suite too.

1 minute ago, mbk999 said:

Thanks  I'll still price check but I don't think I'll drop to a GS if one comes open, I'll stick with the Loft.  My only concern is any increased motion as my wife can be susceptible to motion sickness but she wanted to try the suite too.

Step daughter has a hard time riding in back seats of cars on a highway but didn't have a smidgen of an issue on deck 17.  

1 minute ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

When next August?  @WAAAYTOOO and I are both on the 08/21/21 sailing...Deck 17 of course ?

07 August sailing.  I liked the Labadee/San Juan/St Thomas/Perfect Day itinerary.    

Hopefully the family wedding next summer won't be then and MD doesn't go crazy and start schools in early August....

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

Step daughter has a hard time riding in back seats of cars on a highway but didn't have a smidgen of an issue on deck 17. 

6 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

My daughter and I both are prone to motion.  We don't feel much up there.  I find Oasis class to be quite steady.

Good to hear that it's not a huge issue for folks.   It would have been interesting this week if the industry hadn't been shut down, we'd have been sailing down the east coast through the storm.  

On Quantum class ships where the lounge is seperate, can you take a drink out during happy hour to dinner?  We are doing a Mar 2022 Symphony to Odyssey side to side and don;t want to get the drink package since my liver would need a break after a week.

9 minutes ago, MLH said:

On Quantum class ships where the lounge is seperate, can you take a drink out during happy hour to dinner?  We are doing a Mar 2022 Symphony to Odyssey side to side and don;t want to get the drink package since my liver would need a break after a week.

Sure.  You can take drinks out of the SL.  Waaay back in the bad ol', good ol' days they would restrict you, but not these days.

I realize this thread is more about Oasis class but I would like to know what it is like on Quantum in a 1 BR GS.  We will be on an Alaska cruise in August 2021 and we are suite rookies.  We are on deck 12 near the aft elevators which that is important to me.  The concierge club is on the same deck which seems convenient but I'm not sure what happens in there.  Coastal Kitchen is just up 2 decks on deck 14.  I'm not sure what else we need to check out.

6 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Deck 17 on Oasis class can be accessed either by the aft set of elevators or by the aft set of stairs. Once there, access to the suite lounge/CK area is by seapass card. At times, the glass doorway leading into the loft hallway is closed. If that is the case, access is also by seapass card. 

Oh hubby will love that!  He’s such a snob, loves flashing that gold sea pass card around! ?

8 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

I realize this thread is more about Oasis class but I would like to know what it is like on Quantum in a 1 BR GS.  We will be on an Alaska cruise in August 2021 and we are suite rookies.  We are on deck 12 near the aft elevators which that is important to me.  The concierge club is on the same deck which seems convenient but I not sure what happens in there.  Coastal Kitchen is just on deck 14.  I'm not sure what else we need to check out.

I love the location.  I think you will be very happy being close to the elevators.

To be completely honest, I was very disappointed in the Quantum class Grand Suite.  We had one in Feb on Anthem right before they shut down cruises.  Most of the GS on other classes are very spacious.  The Quantum class GS has a wall that separates the living room and the bedroom and it causes the room to be extremely small, IMO.  I found it to be about the same size as a JS on the O class ships.  Consequently, I will not book that room again.

The good news is, you will be Sky class so you will enjoy all of the Suite perks.

7 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The good news is, you will be Sky class so you will enjoy all of the Suite perks.

If everything works with 2 cruises before the Alaska cruise, we will be Diamond level by then.  What will that get us??  There is a "golden" room on deck 4 but I don't know what it is for.  I don't think the size of our suite will matter that much ... the larger balcony seems like it will be nice for sightseeing in Alaska.

If you are talking about being Gold level with Crown & Anchor, then no....that C&A level will not get you into any of the lounges.  ....but being in a GS will.

I have never sailed on any of the Asian ships (of which Quantum is one), but I think the "golden" room that you are seeing on the deck plans is probably the Diamond Lounge on all of the other ships.  That lounge will not be available to you if you are not at least Diamond C&A level....but you WILL be able to visit the Concierge Lounge on Deck 12.  I am not overly fond of the location of the Concierge/Suites Lounge on the Q class ships but I will say that there is a beautiful view from that lounge.  Of course, you will be able to eat in the Coastal Kitchen for breakfast, lunch and dinner, if you so choose.

The balcony on the GS is nice but a bit narrow.  It will be awesome for looking at the Alaska views.

47 minutes ago, crisgold52 said:

If anyone on this board is obligated to take their elderly parents on a vacation you'd know as it becomes less about what you want to do but to babysit them and less about doing a zipline since elderly think it's too risky.

Again, you do you, and what applies to you is not one size fits all.

We take cruises with my parents as well, who are both in their 70s.  They are more active than we are.

1 hour ago, crisgold52 said:

I've never been up there then again it depends how important it is to visit. I normally begrudgingly take my elderly parents on a cruise with my partner so it's a bit of the opposite taking kids seeing as I have to babysit them as their elderly on their early 70's and of a different cultural background which tends to be content with what's around them and not look for more since their in that age of not buying much of anything anymore. If anyone on this board is obligated to take their elderly parents on a vacation you'd know as it becomes less about what you want to do but to babysit them and less about doing a zipline since elderly think it's too risky.

My in-laws are 80 and 82 years young and can outpace us! There is definitely no babysitting involved when we travel with them. We celebrated their 50th and 55th anniversary at Disneyland and I hope one day they can enjoy a Star class cruise with us. ?

I can’t speak to the 1 BR GS but we did a grand loft suite on Anthem on deck 10 and found we didn’t use the suite lounge very much due to its location and our star class perks but I think you will love being on the same floor as the lounge. It will be much more accessible to you!

1 hour ago, crisgold52 said:

Why pay more for packages when Tea coffee and Water plus juice at breakfast is included. The same mindset also goes of them preferring an inside over a suite even though I've pitched and offered a suite to fit all of us... they are not cheap by any means but prefer to save every nickel and dime since in their logic...a drink is a drink... a meal is a meal.. a shirt is a shirt... a room is a room. Etc.

I'm of that mindset when I'm the one paying for it.  Fortunately I have some suite snobs in my family, so when they're paying for my vacation I don't tell them how to spend their vacation dollars.  If they want to treat me that's perfectly fine.  I always offer to take a lesser room to save them money, but sometimes it's easier just to accept the treat and reap the benefits.

That being said, there are some great bargains for the suites if you can catch them.  And while I may be happy with the bare bones interior room and no packages, if I can get Star Class for a huge bargain I don't mind the splurge.  

I am ridiculously addicted to the deck 17 L1 lofts on Oasis class ships.  I love being so close to CK & the SL... and it just being a short waltz down the stairs to Windjammer or the pool deck.  I really enjoy reading in the SL when I've had enough of the poolside action and would just like a quiet moment, and the food in CK (at least by my experience) has been great.

That said, I'm solo in the Oasis Ultimate Panoramic Suite in 2022.  I'm rolling the dice to see if the genuinely unique cabin, view and Star Class make up for the lack of a balcony.  I like my balconies!

I appreciate all the info an experience from you all.

I was leaning Sky class, and based on the discussion will likely go for it now.  And the comes the debate between a GS (aaugh, deck 12, no 8, no 6) and the splurge for the loft.  Maybe I'll ease into it and save the loft for a future milestone.