Federal Maritime Commission to Weigh In on Cruise Line Refund Policies

And from that article is this:  Sailings canceled due to government order or regulations must be refunded within 180 days following a passenger request.

6 months?  Really?  I don't think so.  It should be processed immediately and the credit be given on the original card issued within no less than 4-5 business days.

The cruise lines want your money when they want it, but sit on your money when you want it back.  If they were made to pay interest on your money held longer than 4-5 business days, I bet you would get it back on time.

Not necessarily a good thing IMO. I get that the Commission is looking to drive consistency of approach in the industry toward consumers but, although we may have some frustrations with the current situation, it seems to me that we have more favourable and flexible options available to us than we would under the Commission's proposed standards... I am not saying that they will do this as I would expect commerciality to win the day, but in theory if the cruise lines were to adopt the standards they would appear to be well within their rights to drop any 125% FCC or similar compensation offers and simply stick to a refund within 180 days policy.