Best Food you ever ate and where were you

Ruth

Sticky Buns at Flour Bakery and Café, Boston MA

Croissants and Pain au Chocolate at Standard Baking Co in Portland, ME

Ice cream at Love Creamery in Duluth, MN

Tamales at The Tamale Place in Indianapolis, IN

Burgers at Kuma's in Chicago, IL

Hot Brown at The Brown Hotel in Louisville, KY

The Original Pan Con Minuta (Snapper sandwich) and Empanada de Camaron (Shrimp Empanadas) at La Camanonera Seafood Joint and Fish Market in Little Havana (Miami) - WORTH THE UBER RIDE - we will never not go there when in Miami.  Never.

Karaage Setsuna - Seattle Washington (Karaage chicken with Setsuna fries)

The Jucy Lucy burger (no, that is not a typo) at Matt's  - Minneapolis (I believe it's illegal to come to Minnesota and not go there.  I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure).

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

The Jucy Lucy burger (no, that is not a typo) at Matt's  - Minneapolis (I believe it's illegal to come to Minnesota and not go there.  I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure).

YES!  Great choice!

For me:

Stroganoff Strudel from Ludwig's Garten in Philadelphia.

Crispy Rice and drunken noodles from Lotus of Siam in Las Vegas.

Peanut Butter Pie from Willow Valley Resort in Lancaster, PA.

Sweet crepes from literally every street vendor in Paris.

Best xiaolongbao (soup filled dumplings) - Asian Legend here in Toronto. I know Din Tai Fung has the pedigree, and I've never been able to make it over to the HK location with the Michelin Star, but the one I tried in the Arcadia, CA location wasn't as good.

Best street tacos - 100% Taquito in Houston. Being that it's off the Southwest Freeway it's a little out of the way for anyone heading from IAH to Galveston, but the food has some great flavour, to the point where I don't even mind the cilantro (and I HATE cilantro).

Best pho - Well, it WAS Lac Viet Bistro in Orlando. But they've closed down and now I gotta figure out a new "best" place. Their pho was really flavourful without tasting too salty. It was a go to for us whenever we went to visit The Mouse. I will give a shout out to Saigon Noodle though. They got some shine on DDD a while back, and it's certainly deserved.

Smoked Meat - I keep trying to think of a place I liked better than Schwartz in Montreal, because that's almost a copout statement. And yet, it's really good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Pane E Vino in New Brunswick. Picked the place at random after my daughter finished a performance there with the chorus she was in during high school.

Expensive place, didn't realize until after we'd been seated but I just figured, "YOLO!" Man, was it worth it! Daughter and I agreed it was the best meal we'd ever had, can't say it's been topped yet.

5 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

We just walked to downtown Victoria and walked around.  It's a great, very walkable, city.

Thanks for posting this. I am hoping that they will let us do that, namely walk off the ship and head over to Red Fish Blue Fish. Given the time of day Quantum gets into port, DS and his buddy could go on their fishing excursion and DH and I can go eat fish at RFBF! I've just put it on my CP calendar!

10 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Pane E Vino in New Brunswick. Picked the place at random after my daughter finished a performance there with the chorus she was in during high school.

Expensive place, didn't realize until after we'd been seated but I just figured, "YOLO!" Man, was it worth it! Daughter and I agreed it was the best meal we'd ever had, can't say it's been topped yet.

I think some of the best (also worst) experiences have come from randomly going "hey let's try this place." We've found places such as Pho Xyclo in Niagara Falls, a street festival in Sand City, CA, and Pie in Barrie, ON.

But we've also found some pretty meh places like some pub in Stratford-upon-Avon and a paella place in Barcelona. No regrets though - nothing ventured, nothing gained.