Untouchables on MDR menu

Matt

On 8/20/2020 at 9:43 AM, FManke said:

Although there are a lot of things on the MDR menu I enjoy, one of the things I like most about it is the chance to try something I don't eat at home. I always try something I haven't or wouldn't normally eat at home. Whether it is an appetizer, salad or entrée. Being that the food is already paid for, I don't feel like it's a waste of money to try something I might not like.  

Yes! Completely agree. I am a much more adventurous eater while on vacation! ?

On 8/20/2020 at 8:43 AM, FManke said:

Although there are a lot of things on the MDR menu I enjoy, one of the things I like most about it is the chance to try something I don't eat at home. I always try something I haven't or wouldn't normally eat at home. Whether it is an appetizer, salad or entrée. Being that the food is already paid for, I don't feel like it's a waste of money to try something I might not like.  

This is how I grew to love a Lamb Shank, Lamb Chops and something for dessert lol 

Nope, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, onions, salt pork, ground sausage, sausage links, ground pork, hamburg, chicken thighs, short ribs, meatballs, salt, pepper, oregano and basil 

and if my brother is in town (taking him on his first cruise in March!) it’s 2 pots!

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

Ok neither of those jarred things are bolognese and ragu is barely sauce.  So maybe not.  At my house, making sauce is an all day affair and made in a 16 qt stock pot!

I didn't say they WERE Bolognese, but the fact is that RCL's Bolognese really isn't anything special, IMO.

37 minutes ago, Pooch said:

canned tomatoes, tomato paste, onions, salt pork, ground sausage, sausage links, ground pork, hamburg, chicken thighs, short ribs, meatballs, salt, pepper, oregano and basil

Interesting combo with the meats. I've never used chicken thighs or short ribs, but then I think my Sicilian mother would have stoned me and disowned me if I'd tried. ? 

Our family sauce recipe is canned plum tomatoes, onions sautéed in a bit of olive oil, a good fistful each of basil and oregano, black pepper, and a bit of red pepper flake. No salt since we got used to eating on a heavily reduced sodium diet with my dad. And we throw in the sausage links and meatballs to simmer for at least a couple of hours.

There was always chicken in Nonna's sauce, using up all the excess "parts" she didn't use elsewhere.  The short ribs were added by my Aunt.  We are from the northern adriatic area of Marche which makes me a Marchegian.  

oh and we use thighs because the one large bone is easy to remove once the sauce is cooked.

• 2 months later...
On 8/6/2020 at 7:57 PM, FManke said:

I see people are concerned about thick cuts of cheese and copious amounts of butter, but nobody is talking about all the calories consumed from the deluxe beverage package. HMM? ? 

Yeah, because those Lava Flows are such low-cal beverage options! ?

6 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

If they would take the raisins out of the apple pie, I would agree with you.  Raisins....yuk !

I don't think there are any on the kids menu version. My son definitely would have said something because he doesn't like raisins either, and he has it for dessert 5 out of 7 nights on every cruise. Gotta save a couple nights for the banana splits! The kid's version is more of a galette than an actual slice of pie - we've never had the one on the adult menu.

20190904_183253.thumb.jpg.3c2152003f348ea0b17022093ce56915.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 6:55 PM, SteelersNationVA said:

Why not include the Vegan dinner options on the MDR menu.  Items listed are already listed as Vegetarian.  Add a note for Vegan, Gluten Free, No Dairy and no Nuts.  

Are there plans to improve the Vegan menu?  It got mixed reviews. 

While I am not a vegetarian anymore, I'd love to have a number of vegetarian options and vegan ones as well that are beyond pastas, Indian food, and vegetables. I'd like to see some seitan and tofu. While I do eat meat now, if I have animal free options that look good, I'll always choose those. 

I did see vegetable moustakka on the MDR menu for 1 night which sounds good. Never hear anyone talk about it though lol. 

• 4 months later...
10 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Surprised to see so few mentions of lobster on here, always thought that was a real popular night.

Lobster night is pretty popular mainly because they are included with your dinner and they do not charge extra for them. As far as the quality goes...did I mention they were free? They were fine for free in my opinion. I would have been a little disappointed if I had paid extra for them.

Happy Cruising!

On 12/13/2020 at 4:55 PM, Revenge said:

Why not include the Vegan dinner options on the MDR menu.  Items listed are already listed as Vegetarian.  Add a note for Vegan, Gluten Free, No Dairy and no Nuts.  

I agree. My wife has to eat gluten free. Sometimes it is very hard to find gluten free food, or have someone know what you are talking about. 

24 minutes ago, LovetoCruise87 said:

I went on a cruise one time and they did not have escargot! They told me there was a worldwide shortage of the little guys. 

I heard a different explanation. It wasn’t a shortage but instead product arriving to port at a slow pace. I guess one could say “at a snails pace.”

On 5/10/2021 at 7:09 AM, LovetoCruise87 said:

I agree. My wife has to eat gluten free. Sometimes it is very hard to find gluten free food, or have someone know what you are talking about. 

My wife is gluten free and the MDR staff has always done a good job getting her a good meal.  Coastal Kitchen is a different story.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 8:09 AM, LovetoCruise87 said:

The MDR menus notate on the menu which dishes are GF and which are vegetarian.