What would you want to see on a new MDR menu?

1 hour ago, TempoGL said:

Was there a standard rotation of items in the past?  I didn't realize the menu was consistent enough to require "updating."

I think the update is for people who frequently cruise.  I cannot cruise super often (due to work, family obligations, and multiple young children) so it always seems new to me.  I hope they do not go too zany and dump too many classics (like my wife's favorite.....the shrimp cocktail or having a steak on the menu nightly for my daughter).

58 minutes ago, jaredhamburg said:

I would like to see more Asian dishes added (like Pad Thai, curry, etc).  I know some of it can be requested on the side, but it would be nice to have it formally on the menu.  This can also cover lots of vegetarian/vegan needs as well for menu coverage.

I know the chefs work hard at crafting a balance of meat, veg and starch with the daily entrees, but I wouldn't mind some sort of build your own thing (Column A | Column B | Column C) for the "Classic" ones.

I'd like to see more Asian dishes, and hopefully they can refrain from making them too sweet.

3 hours ago, jaredhamburg said:

I would like to see more Asian dishes added (like Pad Thai, curry, etc).  I know some of it can be requested on the side, but it would be nice to have it formally on the menu.  This can also cover lots of vegetarian/vegan needs as well for menu coverage.

This would be wonderful!

Appetizer: Build  your own charrcuterie (I majored in music not English...I know that's spelled wrong ? )
Entree:       More entrees without mushroom sauce (why do they put mushrooms on so many things?)
Sides:         Green Beans, sweet potato, fried corn (I'm a simple girl)
Dessert:     Anything with cranberry and orange together

13 minutes ago, krhardy said:

Appetizer: Build  your own charrcuterie (I majored in music not English...I know that's spelled wrong ? )
Entree:       More entrees without mushroom sauce (why do they put mushrooms on so many things?)

Cranberries and orange together make a wonderful dessert!

16 minutes ago, krhardy said:

I so agree with you about the sides.  I like to keep it simple (which is why I like the simplicity of the sides at Chops).  Why they have to make all those complex sides (which don’t taste nearly as good as the work that, I’m sure, went into making them) I really don’t understand.

1 hour ago, Tira04 said:

Something local to the region you're sailing! I still feel sad that there was no key lime pie when we stopped at Key West! Or meatballs when in Sweden....

I would like to see this too and from the pics Matt posted in his article it looks like it could be in the pipeline. Fingers crossed. It would definitely bring added interest to menus that have become rather boring. 

14 hours ago, krhardy said:

I think I'd love something along these lines - maybe not this food, but a "choose your own" (adventure) type menu. Protein, carb, veg. Pick your main and sides. Maybe a few of the classics for the people who hate change or making decisions. Some local to the areas you're traveling to.

1 hour ago, ellcee said:

I think I'd love something along these lines - maybe not this food, but a "choose your own" (adventure) type menu. Protein, carb, veg. Pick your main and sides. Maybe a few of the classics for the people who hate change or making decisions. Some local to the areas you're traveling to.

Unfortunately,  the build your own options probably won't work in a kitchen that has to feed that many people in that short of a time.

1 hour ago, CruisinForABruisin said:

Unfortunately,  the build your own options probably won't work in a kitchen that has to feed that many people in that short of a time.

Not in the MDR, for sure. But Matt's article noted that specialty venues are also getting some new options. If that extends to CK, where every meal is cooked to order, I could totally see this (or a small version of it) come to light. Would make the CK experience even better than it already is and help nudge the foodies into trying out the suite life.

12 hours ago, Ngraystark said:

Breakfast items besides eggs or pancakes/French toast.

I've always enjoyed many of the non-traditional items on the WJ breakfast buffet, like curries and such. We've never eaten breakfast in the MDR for the simple reason that the menu has the usual breakfast items and is pretty boring in my opinion. Since the MDR isn't nearly as busy during breakfast as dinner, maybe they would have the time to change things up and do more made to order items. You can add a variety of benedicts and omelets to the menu. You have a million ingredients in the galley, why not use more than 4 or 5 of them?

10 hours ago, FManke said:

I've always enjoyed many of the non-traditional items on the WJ breakfast buffet, like curries and such.

I USED to enjoy those, but on our last two cruises such food was nowhere to be found. The closest thing to "variety" was when they changed up what they added to some of the scrambled eggs (mushrooms today, onions tomorrow).

10 hours ago, FManke said:

You have a million ingredients in the galley, why not use more than 4 or 5 of them?

Which is exactly why the breakfast is so disappointing in recent years.

On 8/1/2020 at 9:10 AM, FManke said:

They should bring bake Baked Alaska! I want to pretend it's 1979 and I'm on an episode of The Love Boat!

This is where I took my moniker from, not the fact that they legalized weed (in Alaska). 

We had Baked Alaska on our SS Norway sailing at the Captain's table. Very memorable.

21 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

This is where I took my moniker from, not the fact that they legalized weed (in Alaska). 

We had Baked Alaska on our SS Norway sailing at the Captain's table. Very memorable.

Either way, that would be better than naming yourself after the internet personality of the same name!