FCC application - same passengers on both cruises

Hi all,

The Royal website kind of answers this question, but given all of the confusion around FCCs, I thought I'd ask my favorite RC experts (aka all of you). I just got my FCC from my canceled August cruise. They broke it down into equal amounts per passenger (four of us, including two kids). It says on the certificate that the amount can only be applied to the named passenger, but on the RC website it says that if the same people are cruising, you can use some of the funds to cover other passengers' fares. Here are the numbers to make my questions clearer:

We each got $1403 in FCC

My kids' fares for our rescheduled March 2022 cruise are 973 each.

Our two adult fares for our rescheduled March 2022 cruise are more than 1403 each.

Since it's the exact same four people from the canceled August cruise going on the rescheduled March 2022 cruise, can I apply the $860 in FCC left over from my kids' certificates to my fare and/or to my husband's? I would like to use the total FCC amount on this cruise and not have another FCC to use after that. The RC website seems to say yes, but the certificate itself seems to say no. Help!

That's what I thought, too, but one of the FAQs under FCCs on the Royal website says this, which is why I'm not sure:

Q

Can I use part of someone else’s Future Cruise Credit to cover my own cruise fare?

A

Future Cruise Credits in most cases are nontransferable. This means that you cannot use someone else’s credit for your own cruise fare nor vice versa. Any remaining balance on your credit will automatically be created into a new certificate after you’ve completed your sailing.

However, if you still have a Cruise with Confidence or Global Suspension Future Cruise Certificate, any remaining balances from one person’s credit can be used to cover another passenger if they were originally booked with you. For example:

Original Booking:

Susan Smith received a $1500 FCC

Jason Smith received a $500 FCC

New Booking – Credit CAN be used for another passenger:

Susan Smith’s Cruise Fare is $1000

Jason Smith’s Cruise Fare is $1000

Susan can use the rest of her FCC for Jason because he was a passenger on the original booking.

New Booking – Credit CANNOT be used for another passenger:

Susan Smith’s Cruise Fare is $1000

Tyler Jones’s Cruise Fare is $1000 – New Guest

Susan cannot use the rest of her FCC for Tyler because he was not a passenger on the original booking. Susan would be issued a new FCC, after the completion of her sailing, for the remaining $500. The FCC will need to be redeemed by the original expiration date or within 6 months later — whichever date gives Susan the most time to use it.

6 minutes ago, cruisinnewbie said:

My actual FCC says:

"Future Cruise Credits are per person, per booking, and valid only for the person noted above." This seems to contradict the website, right?

I don't see it as a contradiction - The website alludes to the information on the FCC email when it opens with "Future Cruise Credits in most cases are nontransferable." It then goes on to set out where "most cases" doesn't apply.

At least that's my take on it... I have to admit that I haven't put it to the test and will of course defer to the experience of anyone who has.

Royal has seemingly or it's been reported by some that they have been willing to manipulate FCC allocations in some cases.  This appears to be more available when all the same passengers are sailing on the past and future cruise.

What I'm trying to say is call them (or your travel agent) and see if they'll manipulate the FCC to work for you.  If you don't get a cooperative agent on the first attempt, wait a bit and try again.  

Same info as @twangster, when we lost our March sailing, our FCCs came back divided equally by 4.  I was a bit alarmed because up to this point, it has always been only able to be used in the person's name only and passenger 1&2 always pay more.  Anyway, my awesome TA told me not to worry at all.  Since cancellations rolled out, they have bent the rules a bit and as long as it's the same 4 people (or whatever amount was on the original reservation) redeeming it on the another booking, then they will just roll it all together.  Fast forward to May when I made final payment for my now cancelled August sailing, my TA was able to apply the March FCC without issue even though the amounts on the FCC for my two kids were way more than they were actually paying on the booking.  Now fast forward again to today, I just received my FCCs for my cancelled August sailing and the FCCs have been divided equally by 4 again.  This time I am not going to stress too much.  We're applying this set to our cruise next summer with the kids so it's the same 4 again.

6 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Same info as @twangster, when we lost our March sailing, our FCCs came back divided equally by 4.  I was a bit alarmed because up to this point, it has always been only able to be used in the person's name only and passenger 1&2 always pay more.  Anyway, my awesome TA told me not to worry at all.  Since cancellations rolled out, they have bent the rules a bit and as long as it's the same 4 people (or whatever amount was on the original reservation) redeeming it on the another booking, then they will just roll it all together.  Fast forward to May when I made final payment for my now cancelled August sailing, my TA was able to apply the March FCC without issue even though the amounts on the FCC for my two kids were way more than they were actually paying on the booking.  Now fast forward again to today, I just received my FCCs for my cancelled August sailing and the FCCs have been divided equally by 4 again.  This time I am not going to stress too much.  We're applying this set to our cruise next summer with the kids so it's the same 4 again.

Thank you! Yes, I was so confused by the equal amounts because my kids had fares that were way lower than ours. I'm waiting a bit to apply the FCC officially since the cruise isn't until March 22 and if we do need to move the date or something I'd rather not have the FCC involved yet. That's why I'm not just calling to do it now and make sure. Of course that doesn't mean i can't worry about it now! Lol.

2 minutes ago, cruisinnewbie said:

I'm waiting a bit to apply the FCC officially since the cruise isn't until March 22 and if we do need to move the date or something I'd rather not have the FCC involved yet.

Do not apply the FCC until final payment!  Once applied, it changes the bottom line and it will make it hard for price adjustments if the price drops on your cruise.

38 minutes ago, crisgold52 said:

And NCL has officially cancelled all OCT sailings and will now make monthly announcements going forward with the next rounded slated to be announced by end of August. 

It is already being discussed on this thread. 

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/20908-norwegian-cancels-sailings-through-the-end-of-october/

Please try to stay on topic with each thread.  This is one is about FCC application.

So I am in the midst of doing exactly what this thread in all about...applying extra FCC $$ from one person to another (booked in same room with same occupants).  I have called maybe 3 times in last 2 weeks to see where Royal is in the process of doing this...apparently it is currently in someone's inbox in the resolutions dept and yesterday I was told this should be completed in the next 2 weeks.  Yes, I have been assured I am able to apply my grandkids' FCCs (they are now sailing free) to their parents' fares but also for the couples still sailing with us...the extra from one FCC is being applied to the other occupant's higher fare. 

It just takes so long for anything to get done!  I am doing this now even though our new sailing date is April 2021.  I actually have such low fares this time around that I don't even need to keep looking for them to go lower!  Pretty much all of us are only paying for the taxes and air fare...both of which were refunded to us already from our original April 2020 sailing (and I used Cruise with Confidence to cancel).  And many of my cruisers still have FCC leftover!!

BTW...I am not a TA.   I just have a large family all anxious to cruise together and I have been the organizer ("tour conductor") working with the groups department.

1 hour ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Yes, I have been assured I am able to apply my grandkids' FCCs (they are now sailing free) to their parents' fares but also for the couples still sailing with us...the extra from one FCC is being applied to the other occupant's higher fare

This is reassuring! Thank you for sharing your experience.