Muster 2.0

On 7/24/2020 at 9:00 AM, SandyW said:

What has interrupted bar service at 3:30 in the afternoon on the first day of sailing for over 30 years?  Mustering.  Now there is going to be a new format.

https://presscenter.rclcorporate.com/press-release/106/royal-caribbean-group-reinvents-cruise-industryrsquos-safety-drill/

This should hopefully allow those who like having a constant cocktail or adult beverage in their hand on the first day some relief.

But beware, you still need to remain coherent during the process as you either gather the rules on the app from your phone or in the stateroom TV and then you will still need to report to a crew member at your muster station (location found on the back of your stateroom door) prior to the ship leaving the port.

Hopefully this will satisfy at least one aspect of the requirements set forth and regulated by the CDC.

At this rate, we might be back to sailing in (?), who knows.

How about instead of doing this on the ship, make it part of the online check-in process.  Multiple screens with a short multi-choice quiz at the end that they have to pass before they can get their boarding documents.  

Include on the print-out of the boarding document MUSTER - DONE

For those w/o computer the usual punishment at the terminal check-in counter.  Longer check-in time.  Give them a document that has to be signed which then will go on the ship.

I just posted this comment on youtube EatSleepCruise channel. Concerned and curious enough to post here, too. 

Would there have been more or less fatalities on the Costa Concordia had they utilized the e-muster? I'm not sure. I don't like gathering for the muster, it IS crowded and long (unnecessarily due to passengers dragging their feet, IMO), but I do think it is necessary. I just keep thinking about how this e-muster would have impacted the Costa Condordia.

On 7/27/2020 at 8:00 AM, ellcee said:

I don't really pay attention to the muster drill anyway. I sit there quietly in some awkward chair trying to see the screens and attempt to hear what's going on. I hate crowds and get claustrophobic so this is awesome.

We spent the entire muster drill in the blaring heat of the aqua theater discussing with my 4 year old that she was " sooooooo hot" . Lol

19 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

I just posted this comment on youtube EatSleepCruise channel. Concerned and curious enough to post here, too. 

Would there have been more or less fatalities on the Costa Concordia had they utilized the e-muster? I'm not sure. I don't like gathering for the muster, it IS crowded and long (unnecessarily due to passengers dragging their feet, IMO), but I do think it is necessary. I just keep thinking about how this e-muster would have impacted the Costa Condordia.

IMO I don't believe it would have had an impact either way. I know for myself i have a good feel for where i am on the ship at all times, i know others that i travel with could have been to the muster station a dozen times and still have no idea how to find it especially in a "panic" situation.

On 7/29/2020 at 7:04 AM, jticarruthers said:

IMO I don't believe it would have had an impact either way. I know for myself i have a good feel for where i am on the ship at all times, i know others that i travel with could have been to the muster station a dozen times and still have no idea how to find it especially in a "panic" situation.

Unfortunately, you can't find out until someone actually goes through such an event.   I would guess that 2.0 is to service the current social spacing requirement early cruising will have to implement.  Believe a more traditional muster training method could be adopted post-C19.

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2020 at 11:21 AM, twangster said:

Many people stand at muster on their phones or talking amongst themselves despite instructions not to.  They aren't paying attention either.  

Come emergency time you may regret that choice.

I'm one of those "Mr Preparedness" kind of people.  I've been through a couple actual holy crap moments in the military, and the response from some of the supposedly trained people sticks with me to this day.

When my son joined me on Adventure back in Jan/Feb, I showed him where our muster station was before the drill and made him take me to it from the Windjammer.  He thought it was another case of "Dad being overly cautious" until we went to the actual muster and he saw how many people were in the wrong place and how many people were not even paying attention.

He made a comment to me about "how xxxxed up things would be in an actual emergency" (his words).  As a father, it's nice when one of your older teens "gets" something.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...