Adapting to the New Normal

On 7/30/2020 at 12:55 PM, Mrs. Thomas said:

I grew up broke (broke means no money, poor is a mindset)

I had just turned 18 and there was a reason for enlisting.  Suddenly, the whole world opened up to me.  I am very grateful for the experience I had.  

I was just in Pennsylvania a couple years ago. It was to visit the site of the Battle of Gettysburg.  I also visited the grave sites of my distant ancestors who immigrated from Ireland in the late 1700's.  They were buried in Pennsylvania in a farmer's field but there used to be a church there. .  It is amazing what you can see from google earth.  The whole trip was in conjunction with visiting friends in Virginia.  That visit was followed by a cruise from Cape Liberty to Bermuda.  Read about the "cruise ship" Sea Venture that ship wrecked in Bermuda.  It all ties into the Jamestown colony in Virginia. The cruise included a stop in Boston ... I'm a big Boston Celtic fan from the Larry Bird era. The current rendition of the Celtics are good too.  I shouldn't forget the excursion to Lexington and Concord.

Arguably, the best state fair is in Iowa. It is best when all the politicians come to Iowa before the Iowa Caucuses.  If you like bicycle riding, Iowa has an annual ride across the state that attracts an estimated 20,000 bicycle riders from all over. It is affectionately called the Tour de Corn but the real name is RAGBRAI.  There are some states that try to imitate.  Sorry, no state fair or bicycle ride this year during the end of July thru August.

@Dad2Cue That sounds like a blast! I got to go to Gettysburg with my band class, but didn't see what all I wanted to. I want to go back in order to take more of it in. I've seen a documentary about state fairs and Iowa was definitely one that made the list of needing to go to. I haven't been able to travel much out west, so I would love to go. I'm all about family history so at some point I'm going to do some traveling for it as well.

4 hours ago, Mrs. Thomas said:

@Dad2Cue That sounds like a blast! I got to go to Gettysburg with my band class, but didn't see what all I wanted to. I want to go back in order to take more of it in. I've seen a documentary about state fairs and Iowa was definitely one that made the list of needing to go to. I haven't been able to travel much out west, so I would love to go. I'm all about family history so at some point I'm going to do some traveling for it as well.

If you enjoy state fairs, the Minnesota State Fair is consistently ranked in the top two in the country - come visit us (next year)!

https://www.insider.com/best-state-fairs-in-the-us-2018-5#1-the-minnesota-state-fair-17

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

If you enjoy state fairs, the Minnesota State Fair is consistently ranked in the top two in the country - come visit us (next year)!

https://www.insider.com/best-state-fairs-in-the-us-2018-5#1-the-minnesota-state-fair-17

That sounds good. We have to be careful in Minnesota (baby daddy issues), but I would love to take one or two in a year after all of this insanity is over.

4 hours ago, cruisellama said:

Although we have a hurricane season every year, at least this year we don't have to experience cancellations, itinerary changes, and missed flight for that reason..  

I was actually thinking the same thing the other day. Maybe canceling cruises to the end or near the end of hurricane season won't be a bad idea. I will say that if the islands are hit hard that they will need the tourism industry to come back pretty bad. Though, I don't wish that at all!

On 7/30/2020 at 12:22 PM, crisgold52 said:

Yup its supposed to be hot in my part of BC today. 32 degrees is a scorcher. Our daytime highs are normally 23 - 27 at this time of year. No one really likes temps in the 30's it's way too hot. The low 20's is cool.

I'm an American who thinks and uses metric (yes, we do exist.) Gimme those kilograms and meters. But...Farenheit FTW. It's perfect for describing human-based temperature vs water. Who cares about water?  0 degree to 100 degrees Farenheit really describes freakin' cold to freakin' hot pretty well. Also, if you have a 100 degree fever, that's where you start to be concerned. Great range for us.

For everything else? Metric absolutely.

3 hours ago, MrB said:

I'm an American who thinks and uses metric (yes, we do exist.) Gimme those kilograms and meters. But...Farenheit FTW. It's perfect for describing human-based temperature vs water. Who cares about water?  0 degree to 100 degrees Farenheit really describes freakin' cold to freakin' hot pretty well. Also, if you have a 100 degree fever, that's where you start to be concerned. Great range for us.

I would argue you've got that wrong with respect to water. 0 degrees celsius is the freezing point of water, while 100 degrees celsius is the boiling point of water.

Unless I've missed your point in relation to 'describing human-based temperature.' Which I no doubt have ?

21 hours ago, MrB said:

17 hours ago, KWofPerth said:

I would argue you've got that wrong with respect to water. 0 degrees celsius is the freezing point of water, while 100 degrees celsius is the boiling point of water.

Unless I've missed your point in relation to 'describing human-based temperature.' Which I no doubt have ?

It's a point I've heard as well. Basically, Fahrenheit is the better temperature scale because the 0 and 100 degree points mark the temperature range that humans can decently survive at, and can even form settled societies at. It's also better for measuring body temperatures, where the range is so narrow between normal and life-threatening fever that Celsius just doesn't convey the potential severity nearly well enough.

On 7/31/2020 at 9:00 AM, cruisellama said:

Although we have a hurricane season every year, at least this year we don't have to experience cancellations, itinerary changes, and missed flight for that reason..  

We just had a tropical storm (I think it's considered that, my power was out for over a day and I'm just catching up on the news) and that was one of my thoughts. No hurricane season to worry about this year...just the hurricane's themselves. (WHICH STILL SUCK BTW...lol, I'm still dealing with it clearly)