Adapting to the New Normal

15 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

We started the pool conversation, had the hot tub last year but decided maybe not for us (rather cool down vs heat up). The conversation started with "hey a simple round pool and big old deck around it could be neat and affordable" but is slowly headed to -- "well, with no kids and no plans for kids and just wanting a pool to sit in, maybe a small 10x20 cocktail in-ground with an area big enough to put loungers in the pool (think that two inch of water on some of the Anthem / Oasis / pools). Our backyard is flat, it's just asking for it ... I fear it's getting to late in the season to start a pool project like that and get to enjoy it this summer.

Possibly, but I'd definitely put it on the to do list for next Spring!

5 minutes ago, Kathleen said:

We will be on the October 10, 2021 Greek Isles cruise which we also lifted and shifted from 2020. Once again, looking forward to it. Which sailing are you celebrating 31 years on? Happy Anniversary BTW.

Thank you. Oct 2, 2021 on Rhapsody out of Ravenna(Venice).

26 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

I fear it's getting to late in the season to start a pool project like that and get to enjoy it this summer.

According to my neighbors, pool stores have already been sold out for months (manufacturers couldn't keep up with the spike in demand combined with shutting down their factories).  Their pool has arrived at their store but now the installers are so backed up (slower working due to covid safety restrictions) that they are currently looking at late september for an install date.  They ordered in April!

8 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

According to my neighbors, pool stores have already been sold out for months (manufacturers couldn't keep up with the spike in demand combined with shutting down their factories).  Their pool has arrived at their store but now the installers are so backed up (slower working due to covid safety restrictions) that they are currently looking at late september for an install date.  They ordered in April!

I believe it! Whether it was a prefabbed fiberglass thing (if there is one close to my vision) or concrete that's another concern, can I get someone (GOOD) to do the labor. Maybe best bet is to take @Kathleen's advice and look towards the Spring. Get some quotes over the winter months and put down a deposit when contractors are slow due to near impossible installing conditions (I am in NY). 

We are totally 'done' with staying home, after all our other vacations (mostly cruises) cancelled this year.  ?  We are driving to CO from TN next week, staying overnight once coming and going, and eating from our cooler.  We plan to be outdoors a lot once we arrive.  We have a condo rented there, groceries are going to be picked up curbside, and our one 'meal out' will be 'in at the condo' after picking it up curbside from the restaurant. 

The route we have planned has a lower rate of infections than the city where we both work.  We are cautious, and will be diligent about avoiding others as much as possible.  We desperately need a vacation, having both been blessed with working through this entire pandemic.  

4 hours ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

We started the pool conversation, had the hot tub last year but decided maybe not for us (rather cool down vs heat up). The conversation started with "hey a simple round pool and big old deck around it could be neat and affordable" but is slowly headed to -- "well, with no kids and no plans for kids and just wanting a pool to sit in, maybe a small 10x20 cocktail in-ground with an area big enough to put loungers in the pool (think that two inch of water on some of the Anthem / Oasis / pools). Our backyard is flat, it's just asking for it ... I fear it's getting too late in the season to start a pool project like that and get to enjoy it this summer.

Our backyard is completely flat and open as well.  There is (or was now lol) just grass.  We had the perfect set up.  D11 has always wanted a pool but funds kept going towards cruising which she loves just as much as I do.  However, with no cruising this year and maybe even next, we decided to YOLO and do it.  Truthfully, if you are really wanting to, you should get on it now.  Many places are already booking into next spring...

Also, the cool down vs. heat up idea, our "hot tub" is actually a spillover spa that will be connected to the pool.  We can heat it or it can have the same temp as the pool water.  That is an option if you want use the hot tub to cool off.

3 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

It's true.  We are doing inground but above ground pools are also completely out of stock everywhere.  You can't even get one around here right now if you wanted one.  We started looking around for a builder in May and decided on one mid-June.  Most places were already booking into September-October or next spring at that point.  The builder that we fell in love with said they could squeeze us in mid-August and we went for it.  As luck would have it, the pool kits for the few people before us are not in due to Covid backups and they are building ours now since our stuff is here, a month ahead of schedule.  We are beyond excited.

Apologies for the thread hijack again.  lol

On 7/23/2020 at 3:11 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

Dan is busy as a bee with yard work

Gardening kept me busy in the Spring when the lockdowns were just starting, not to mention the tons of stuff we needed to do in my church to adapt.  But the Florida heat has brought me back inside.  Canceling the Odyssey Inaugural sailing was the exclamation point to this "no cruising for a while" reality.

9 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Also, the cool down vs. heat up idea, our "hot tub" is actually a spillover spa that will be connected to the pool.  We can heat it or it can have the same temp as the pool water.  That is an option if you want use the hot tub to cool off.

Oh, l like that! There goes the budget again! I'd probably go cement and a custom design unless a shell was close enough and that good of a price... Guess you've convinced me to at least pick up the phone and get the ball rolling, even if it's for next spring.

Edited by sk8erguy1978
Typo

1 hour ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

Oh, l like that! There goes the budget again! I'd probably go cement and a custom design unless a shell was close enough and that good for a price... Guess you've convinced me to at least pick up the phone and get the ball rolling, even if it's for next spring.

YOLO ?

Screw the cruise lines! Buy your own! Have the best pandemic ever here. We bought a place in the Pocono mountains last October thinking we'd be here mostly weekend and vacation week here and there. I've been working from the Poconos since 3/17 and will be until at least January! We're close to a large lake so we got our own cruiser!

Maiden_Voyage.jpg.d1dba9d81cc9b45e92670dbd4bf62463.jpg

7 minutes ago, KJ1231 said:

Screw the cruise lines! Buy your own! Have the best pandemic ever here. We bought a place in the Pocono mountains last October thinking we'd be here mostly weekend and vacation week here and there. I've been working from the Poconos since 3/17 and will be until at least January! We're close to a large lake so we got our own cruiser!

7 minutes ago, KJ1231 said:

Beautiful area. My wife's grandparents used to live in Bushkill. Enjoy!

On 7/23/2020 at 8:45 PM, Dan Curtis said:

WE have been visiting the bourbon trail, we’re not even huge bourbon fans, but the country side in Ky is so beautiful and all the horse farms near Lexington are nice to visit, also enjoy the Smokey Mountians, we had a cruise canceled in May, have not tried to rebook anything yet. 

Fellow Kentuckian here!  We love bourbon though!!  We are just south of Louisville and a little over an hour to Lexington (daughter & family are there).  Kentucky is a beautiful place for sure.

8 minutes ago, whitsmom said:

Fellow Kentuckian here!  We love bourbon though!!  We are just south of Louisville and a little over an hour to Lexington (daughter & family are there).  Kentucky is a beautiful place for sure.

I think unfortunately because politics gets in the way people just don't see how incredible each state is in their own unique way. I watch a show called "Aerial America" on The Smithsonian channel all the time and each state is beautiful and interesting in its own way. I love all our states. From NY to Cali, from North Dakota to Texas. My favorite episodes are the really big but less populated states because they are they are so different from NJ where I live because we are so populated. The North, and South Dakota episodes, the Wyoming and Montana episodes are fascinating. We live in a gorgeous country that is for sure. Kentucky was a great episode as well, beautiful state indeed. 

37 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I think unfortunately because politics gets in the way people just don't see how incredible each state is in their own unique way. I watch a show called "Aerial America" on The Smithsonian channel all the time and each state is beautiful and interesting in its own way. I love all our states. From NY to Cali, from North Dakota to Texas. My favorite episodes are the really big but less populated states because they are they are so different from NJ where I live because we are so populated. The North, and South Dakota episodes, the Wyoming and Montana episodes are fascinating. We live in a gorgeous country that is for sure. Kentucky was a great episode as well, beautiful state indeed. 

That is a great show to watch. 

17 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

That is why I say that you can love your country but hate your government. LOL We are blessed with a beautiful nation that has a lot to offer. Many people from other countries think that Americans don't travel to other countries because we are arrogant. I think for many of us, we just have so much to see here that we don't get a chance to do worldwide travel. I hope that this virus stuff gets taken care of soon so we can travel freely in our own country again.

19 hours ago, whitsmom said:

Kentucky is a beautiful place for sure.

Seconded! Kentucky in Spring is one of my favorite places. If youve never been to Louisville for the Derby, you havent lived. It will change your life. You combine the beauty of Kentucky with BOURBON and horses???? Whats not to love?!?!?!!?  I need a mint julep. 

Horse Racing Sport GIF by Kentucky Derby 

22 hours ago, whitsmom said:

We visited Jim Beam in Louisville area, probably Makers Mark our favorite, but the drive to Woodford May be the most scenic, we are as about as far North as you can get in Ky, but we think the Ohio river area is also scenic. But sure we sure anxious to eventually get back on a cruise ship.

20 hours ago, crisgold52 said:

One would argue of course that the world at large has many other opportunities to see things as well because culturally all parts of North America are westernized. One can get a burger or watch a hockey game or pro sports event and so on. The houses and communities have the north american standard of architecture from suburbs to urban living and every major city from Miami to Vancouver to Boston to Calgary all share many similar traits. In essence while there many things to do in America... theres no culture shock on this continent since values and life are culturally synced.

If one goes to Asia it's a bit of a culture shock and a different way of life. A different way of governance. Same for parts of Africa as well. Also nothing is stopping domestic travel in america. One can fly between states. 

There can be a bit of culture shock if you take a person out of a city and put them in the country and vice versa, but no, not as much as putting them in a different country. However, the wonderful things I was talking about seeing had nothing to do with cities or towns. The US has mountains, deserts, canyons, geysers, and so much more to see that is completely awesome. I am not opposed to world travel at all, but there are facets of it that make me nervous to go to certain places, such as crime (mostly petty crime) and cleanliness. If anyone wants to go to another country, and I plan on going to Italy before I die, I advise that a person does lots of research. No one wants to be caned for spitting out their gum (Singapore).

Also, we may technically be free to fly or even drive to other states right now, being told that you have to quarantine for 2 weeks (depending on where you go) makes it a no go 98% of the time. Many states are telling people to NOT travel to other states or to even leave their towns, again it depends on the state. Legally we can go where we want, but there are things that stop most from traveling.

You can feel a culture shock anywhere, I feel it everywhere I go. I have to say that each state in America has a different way of life and culture. Having been to Egypt, France, Germany, etc, I can say my shock was the same in New Orleans, New Jersey and Orlando....none are Chicago.

I do watch shows about animals, food and travel,....but I totally forgot about the bourbon trail. As a WFH, I have no issues with a 14 day quarantine in a sense. We are going to Galena; rented a nice little place so we will buy groceries, fish and just relax. It is no cruise but it will be nice to look at different walls.

The worst part is being home all the time, for work and relax time...and I love being home but this is a lot. Days off are spent home. Bleh.

I've mentioned this before but I took up paddle boarding. I'm out on the water 3-5x a week, before or after work, paddling for exercise or happy hour with a couple of friends or solo. I've already met a bunch of new people and the fact that social distancing is already built in it's been great. I get my exercise or I get out on the water and relax.

I don't know when travel will be okay or when I'll feel safe. Now I need ideas for when it gets cold because it looks like I'll be home til at least January.

There is no such thing as a "new normal" - it's total tripe and in a way, kinda sinister. There is NOTHING normal about a lockdown and not being able to travel! Things like this are temporary.

Indeed, back in Scotland, we're pretty much back to normal, though I wish Nicola Sturgeon would open the cinemas and gyms...

18 hours ago, ellcee said:

I don't know when travel will be okay or when I'll feel safe. Now I need ideas for when it gets cold because it looks like I'll be home til at least January.

55 minutes ago, SteveinSC said:

Over It Drinking GIF by Saturday Night Live

@SteveinSC My sister lives in South Carolina so maybe it is time to visit her.   In January, SC should be warmer than here.  Unfortunately, last I checked SC is covid bright red and my state is only pink.

1 hour ago, Dad2Cue said:

@SteveinSC My sister lives in South Carolina so maybe it is time to visit her.   In January, SC should be warmer than here.  Unfortunately, last I checked SC is covid bright red and my state is only pink.

Well, depends on where you are. Our numbers are mostly coming from Charleston, Greenville-Spartanburg, and Myrtle Beach (in that order). Where i live (just across the border south of Charlotte, NC)....not so bad. Y'all c'mon down!!!! In January you can have days where its either 65 and sunny, or 32 and freezing rain. Roll the dice! lol 

image.jpeg.b0dd2f2d9482a36ee8927ab99b0c9d48.jpeg

48 minutes ago, SteveinSC said:

Well, depends on where you are. Our numbers are mostly coming from Charleston, Greenville-Spartanburg, and Myrtle Beach (in that order). Where i live (just across the border south of Charlotte, NC)....not so bad. Y'all c'mon down!!!! In January you can have days where its either 65 and sunny, or 32 and freezing rain. Roll the dice! lol 

I was thinking of driving to Charlotte, NC because of getting a nonstop flight to San Juan, PR just in case my scheduled cruise happens in January.  My back-up plan would be a visit to my sister.  She lives in the Orangeburg area.  A warm day in January here would be 32 degrees because some of the snow might melt.

34 minutes ago, SteveinSC said:

Yet the North Carolina counties including/surrounding Charlotte (Mecklenburg/Cabarrus/Gaston/Union) are among the worst in the state.

1 hour ago, SteveinSC said:

image.jpeg.b0dd2f2d9482a36ee8927ab99b0c9d48.jpeg

YES! This is why I decided to try and book a cruise during February! BTW, I love the meme. It's so true for NC too. :4_joy:

@crisgold52 You have been blessed to have the funds to do such traveling. Many have not been as blessed as those of us who can travel. I haven't done as much as I would like, but I have been to a few places. I see you went to big cities. Have you ever been to the little towns in places like the NC coast or parts of Louisiana? They have a culture and even language all their own. Big cities are all the same. Little towns, like where I live, are, or can be, a completely different experience. They are often dismissed, but are rich with history. I never said people shouldn't travel outside the US or that Americans don't because they dislike the idea. All I'm saying is that there are many things that most Americans are trying to see first. We want to see what is in our own backyard. This country is falling apart (partly, and please let's NOT go into politics. I hate it.) because many don't go out and meet people that live in the same country and have meaningful conversations.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." ― Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad / Roughing It

@Mrs. Thomas I traveled extensively in Europe while in the Air Force.  I also managed to see a part of the Middle East.  I have even been to East Germany and the Soviet Union ... two countries that technically don't even exist anymore.  I experienced culture shock and reverse culture shock.  My own back yard seems best to me now.  If cruising isn't safe, I have only seen a few of our National Parks.  I have at least driven through most of our States but the southern States pull me the most.  The mountain States to my west are a close second.  To be honest, I can say I have liked everywhere that I have been.  I do miss cruising too.

1 hour ago, crisgold52 said:

Yup its supposed to be hot in my part of BC today. 32 degrees is a scorcher. Our daytime highs are normally 23 - 27 at this time of year. No one really likes temps in the 30's it's way too hot. The low 20's is cool.

You can keep the Canadian air in the winter but I don't mind it in the summer.  The opposite goes for the hot Gulf Coast air we get in the summer.  When those two air masses collide the weather becomes interesting but prone to violence.

On 7/23/2020 at 1:10 PM, PG Cruiser said:

Cruising has been my go-to vacation activity for years now.  These days, I have to face the sad reality that I won’t be confident enough to go on a cruise until a reliable vaccine is made available.  I have asthma and I’m in my mid-50s.

What other recreational activities can be done at a time like this?

Maybe an all inclusive Carribean resort?

1 hour ago, Dad2Cue said:

@Mrs. Thomas I traveled extensively in Europe while in the Air Force.  I also managed to see a part of the Middle East.  I have even been to East Germany and the Soviet Union ... two countries that technically don't even exist anymore.  I experienced culture shock and reverse culture shock.  My own back yard seems best to me now.  If cruising isn't safe, I have only seen a few of our National Parks.  I have at least driven through most of our States but the southern States pull me the most.  The mountain States to my west are a close second.  To be honest, I can say I have liked everywhere that I have been.  I do miss cruising too.

First, thank you for your service sir! I grew up broke (broke means no money, poor is a mindset) , so travel was always very limited. I was in high school when I got to start traveling more, because I worked for the money to go. I also went places with band class. In the past 10 years I have been able to go on my first cruise, go to Pennsylvania, DC (3 times), Texas, Niagara Falls, Tennessee and multiple times to the SC and NC coast. A couple of my trips were with 8 Days of Hope to help with damage from natural disasters. I miss cruising, but I also have a huge bucket list to see right around me. It's amazing the things you find in the little places. One day I want to go to different state fairs and local festivals around the country. There are a few in NC I still haven't been able to go to. We have an Old Soldier's Reunion festival that lasts a week here and it's been canceled this year for the first time in about 60 years. :57_cry: