Sovereign Has Been Beached

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing gallery of almost two dozen photos of the 5 ships being scrapped, especially Soveriegn and the Carnival Fantasy.   Lot's of photos from overhead.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8798957/The-covid-cruise-ship-graveyard-Passenger-liners-stripped-scrap-Turkish-dock.html

• 2 weeks later...

Updated photo of Sovereign ..... if you look up on the pool deck, you can see the canopy's that covered the hot tubs, so, looks like the forward pool is gone, but the aft pool is still there.  The thing that gets my attention is that vertical gold color that crosses multiple decks....was that an elevator track for one of the glass elevators in the Centrum?  Just not 100% sure. 

121784511_2540044829619865_6628488811082888102_n.jpg

11 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Updated photo of Sovereign ..... if you look up on the pool deck, you can see the canopy's that covered the hot tubs, so, looks like the forward pool is gone, but the aft pool is still there.  The thing that gets my attention is that vertical gold color that crosses multiple decks....was that an elevator track for one of the glass elevators in the Centrum?  Just not 100% sure. 

Very interesting.  Would be interested to see the sorting bins as materials are removed.  Any "smalls" that end up on eBay?

2 hours ago, coneyraven said:

Look at the "cage" in the foreground --- with the yellow cabinet leaning against it.  That shape almost looks like it could've been an elevator.  But I highly doubt it.

43 minutes ago, Frank Gonzalez said:

Mass layof for Holland America Line Officers and Crew, maybe all the companues will follow them ??

https://www.cruises-info.com/2020/10/holland-america-line-mass-layoff-notice.html

Unfortunate but understandable.  With four ships out of the HAL fleet there will be jockeying for positions on remaining ships.  More senior officers may displace junior officers on some remaining ships, etc.  This will ripple through many departments leaving some crew without a chair after the music stops.  

So many jobs and lives impacted by the pandemic across the world.

Over the years, I have seen many former British warships dragged up this same slipway by their own anchor chains. When I see it happening, I remember them not as hulks being cut to shreds and trucked away to be melted down, but as the glorious ships they once were, the pride of those who served aboard them. Sadly, the lot of a ship, whether it be a sleek grey messenger of Freedom, or a luxurious passenger ship, is set from the date of its creation. Sooner or later, it will meet the scrapper and the cutting torch (unless it is sunk as a reef, used as a target, or preserved as a memorial).

For those of us who spent our lives maintaining our homes of the sea around us, it is one of the most tragic sights ever. However, we all take heart that although the steel of the ship may now be in different forms, the ships are alive, and can never be taken from us. They live on, in thoughts, in memories, in photographs. It is in this way they not only pass into history, but they become "immortal"

• 2 weeks later...
  • SpeedNoodles changed the title to Sovereign Has Been Beached
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...