Sovereign Has Been Beached

37 minutes ago, bobroo said:

Or, should it just be the furnishings from one of the pool bars?

Sovereign will always hold a special place in my heart. This is sad. 

Growing up, my grandpa had the bow of a boat as his bar in the basement.  I always thought it was the coolest dang thing ever.  He also had a tap, always on a keg of Busch and we would sneak some sips of it out of the clean ashtrays while looking at his Playboys...lol. But thats another story......

19 minutes ago, crisgold52 said:

I'm surprised the ships are being scrapped in a Turkey. Normally Alang India is the place as that scrap yard handles numerous ships per year and many cruise ships have been broken down there.

The answer to this issue is in this podcast by Doug Parker.

https://cruiseradio.net/cruise-podcast-ship-scrapping-process-with-peter-knego/

3 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Wow --- talk about a tight squeeze ..... they just jammed the Inspiration between Sovereign and Fantasy.  You get a better view of Sovereign with the bow removed.

Seems like they are trying to out do themselves now!  That is crazy tight!  Good thing they don't have to open a side door to get out...

22 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Wow --- talk about a tight squeeze ..... they just jammed the Inspiration between Sovereign and Fantasy.  You get a better view of Sovereign with the bow removed.

Sovereign, Inspiration, Fantasy.jpg

When I saw this picture ... i could only think of the Carnival Glory and Legend circa December 2019 ?

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, twangster said:

They need to make room.  At this moment Empress and Majesty are at a dock in Souda.  A local newspaper report quotes the Port as saying they are transferring equipment between ships as one will be withdrawn.  

Downsizing seems to be the name of the game these crazy days with everything. 

29 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Anyone know if they sell off the life boat/tenders or re-use them on other ships?   Could be repurposed into a small house boat recreational purposes.

Not sure.  Lifeboats can be very specific to the SOLAS plan approved for that ship.  Borrowing one that is completely different may have complications.  With only Majesty sailing it's not clear how big a market there would be for a 20 year old lifeboat.  They aren't the most driveable vessels, in fact if you watch the lifeboat drills it's like they've been drinking.  They get the job done in an emergency but I'm not sure there is a line of recreational boaters lining up to buy one.

56 minutes ago, twangster said:

Not sure.  Lifeboats can be very specific to the SOLAS plan approved for that ship.  Borrowing one that is completely different may have complications.  With only Majesty sailing it's not clear how big a market there would be for a 20 year old lifeboat.  They aren't the most driveable vessels, in fact if you watch the lifeboat drills it's like they've been drinking.  They get the job done in an emergency but I'm not sure there is a line of recreational boaters lining up to buy one.

Seems like a better project platform than a oil drum raft with an outboard.   Could be a fun project, but would cost more to relocate the thing than its worth.

On 9/10/2020 at 1:08 PM, twangster said:

So what they'll do is the yard will sell them to a reseller that will then scrap it for parts. They will then resell the parts that are in high in demand. The same thing happens with the bridge electronics. 

There's alot of old mechanical and electrical equipment out there. Shipowners will rather buy second hand spare parts than buy brand new complete systems.