Monarch has been beached

Weird feeling seeing this...I remember very well my first cruise on her in 2013...made me fall in love with cruising. I have flashbacks to certain experiences and wow moments and amazing times on that first cruise whenever I see a pic of her.....guess there wont be many left now....:44_frowning2:.....

2 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Weird feeling seeing this...I remember very well my first cruise on her in 2013...made me fall in love with cruising. I have flashbacks to certain experiences and wow moments and amazing times on that first cruise whenever I see a pic of her.....guess there wont be many left now....:44_frowning2:.....

My first one was on Sovereign in 2007 ---- breaks my heart knowing she's next.   Look how that shipped next to Monarch is being broken apart.... from front to back..... I guess, as they take away a forward section, they pull what's left further on the beach with a tow line.

A rather undignified process.  I would have thought that they would of at least put them into some kind of lock or berth of some kind.  Just pushing them up on the beach like that is rather rude.  Surprised to see the life boats still attached.  I guess they are of no value to anyone now but still would have thought that they would have removed them beforehand.  Definitely a less-than-dignified end.

Watching this video was just a little heartbreaking!  I honestly never had the pleasure of sailing on her but watching it go like this was just a little depressing!  Knowing the care that it received as well as the entertainment that it gave all who sailed on her, as @WAAAYTOOO has said its a rather undignified process, I understand that it is necessary.  Its almost like watching a friend of yours slowly disappear.  ?

There's a video on Facebook taken from the bridge of Monarch as she's being beached. You can hear the Turks remarking about how strong and steady she is. I also saw a video of the Chief Engineer giving an emotional speech, before turning her generators off for the final time. The emergency generators kick in right away, but there are these wailing alarms. It's friggin' sad. Since about 1991 or so I had dreamed of sailing Sovereign, I SO hope they keep Majesty around

Strange question, but what do they do with all of the stuff from onboard a ship about to be scraped?  I would have to imagine some stuff is more or less garbage but I'm sure some of the furniture and what not could be put to good use.  I know when stadiums get torn down they auction off seats and signage and things like that.  I have to imagine there would be a market for certain memorabilia but it seems like that doesn't happen?  I could use the anchor as a lawn ornament ; )

@TannerGood Question. For the most part when a ship is scrapped, all the furniture is pretty worn and can't really get a chance at a second life. Some of the surrounding villages will just take them and use them. 

There's video of them boxing up the Sovereign and there really isn't a whole lot left onboard.

There was a guy back in the day, Midshipscentury (which I think was Peter Knego's website) who would go over to India when they were scrapping the historic ocean liners and fill up a shipping container of whatever he could find there. 

For those of us who used to make our living at sea, this is an inevitable end to almost every ship, there are few exceptions. The breakers in Aliaga is one of the premier disposal and recycling centers of its kind. The metal contained in a ship is precious and will be turned into anything from cars to washing machines etc.

My last ship in the Royal Navy (HMS Illustrious) was dismantled on the same slipway 3 years ago.  It is not dignified for the ship, as they drag her up the beach and cut her into manageable pieces while removing other metals and items from within the ship.  But they do serve a purpose, and do live on not just in new objects. The spirit of the ship itself lives on in the hearts and memories of those who have been aboard them for a special moment and felt the soul of the ship. A romantic notion, but then I was a sailor. ?

9 hours ago, cruisellama said:

Very interesting.  I expect there will be pictures of the progress.   Curious about the salvage process.  What happens to furnishings, artwork, dishes etc.   Is there a "market" for all those extras out there before selling off all the metals?

Yes, there is a market for them.  This is a really interesting interview that I heard on Cruise Radio Podcast a few months back.

https://cruiseradioshow.libsyn.com/going-to-the-cruise-ship-graveyard-with-peter-knego-crr-042?tdest_id=148310&fbclid=IwAR1nk4lu_OIkrtsGc32Py3oiZXK8Tn2sthwkpSXe2wzPqqygt9-w3Zy76Tg

2 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Yes, there is a market for them.  This is a really interesting interview that I heard on Cruise Radio Podcast a few months back.

https://cruiseradioshow.libsyn.com/going-to-the-cruise-ship-graveyard-with-peter-knego-crr-042?tdest_id=148310&fbclid=IwAR1nk4lu_OIkrtsGc32Py3oiZXK8Tn2sthwkpSXe2wzPqqygt9-w3Zy76Tg

We were on the Summit pre-revolution upgrade and some of the officers noted that items in Michaels club (suite lounge) were being offered to the concierge crew.  But they needed to remove when they departed the ship.  One of the items up for grabs was a piano.