Alaska June 24 2016

My family will be cruising on the Inner passage on June 24th. We will be bringing our boys, ages 9 & 11. Can anyone offer packing advice? I feel like the packing lists I'm finding are too general. I don't know if we should bring winter gear or not. What about footwear for shore excursions (hiking or rain boots)? Will we need shorts at all? Will it be warm enough to swim? Any general advise for a first time cruise with kids? 

Alaska weather is a gamble, so it does unfortunately make packing hard.  We were there in May of last year and it was beautiful almost every day.  T-shirt weather during the day, but chilly in the first few hours of daylight.  That in mind it could have easily been rainy and cool.  The point is, plan for the unpredictable and know there will be significant changes throughout the day.  Layer.  I'd bring some light shirts (maybe long sleeve tees or similar, and a light jacket.  If you encounter a day that you expect to be cold the whole time, bring along a slightly heavier jacket for that day only.  If you can, suffer through mornings as you may think you need a heavy jacket, but when we were there, the fog and cool temps quickly burned off.

I have to agree with Billy. I've been to Alaska in both May and June and agree that layers are best, including a water proof layer as it will likely rain at least once. It is usually very cool in the mornings but can warm up by midday. While in Juneau, for instance, the morning started off cool, but by mid afternoon, we were in t-shirts at the top of Mt. Roberts playing in the snow as it was 75 degrees.

It's also worth investing in some waterproofing spray for your shoes, backpack, etc.

We will be on the same cruise!!!  I am planning on the layered approach.  bringing some fleeces, long sleeve shirts, short sleeve shirts.  long pants and capris (and hopefully some shorts for Seattle (we will check forecast before leaving) - we are going a couple days early.  lightweight/waterproof jacket with hood.  and nice clothes for dinner. many pairs of shoes!!   i am bring gloves and a hat.  that is about it.  

I have been on 5 Alaska cruises, May, June, and September. I am always cold, so I frozen in May and September. I brought two pairs of capris and never put them on, I stayed in jeans and brought layers for the top of me. I also brought a lightweight jacket and a heavy sweat jacket, along with a rain parka, because four of the seven days it poured.