Guaranteed Cabin

This morning when I checked prices for my existing cruises, (can't remember which one it was) the price for GTY was $7 more than the price to choose your own cabin.  

I've only done GTY once and ended up with a balcony towards the back of the ship.  I didn't hate it but I didn't care for the location.  Have not done it again since.

1 hour ago, mickjacket said:

Looking at Oasis for April or May of 21. There is a $500 difference in the balcony price if I pick cabin or get guaranteed cabin. Anyone ever had great results or horror stories using guaranteed?

I have never done guaranteed but I've mostly heard about good results.  The $500 would be very tempting to try a guaranteed cabin but I'm sure it is a gamble.  I have always liked the cabins I have picked but I have an upgrade tendency that is hard to reverse.  

I have heard that people have had upgrades when purchasing a guaranteed cabin.  The guarantee is that the cabin level will be no lower. ?

I have also heard of obstructed views.?

I always pick my own cabin as I like to  imagine I can avoid intrusions like overhead noise late at night or early morning and less foot traffic outside the door....though to each his or her own ....after all a cruise is great regardless of cabin...If I can afford it and a cabin I fancy is available I always grab it so I do not feel disappointed with the choice given

12 hours ago, mickjacket said:

Looking at Oasis for April or May of 21. There is a $500 difference in the balcony price if I pick cabin or get guaranteed cabin. Anyone ever had great results or horror stories using guaranteed?

Considering you're looking at an Oasis class ship, is the guaranteed balcony an outside or neighborhood view?  For my Harmony of the Seas cruise in November, 2021 I took the GTY neighborhood view balcony room. It was available at an unbelievably low price I couldn't refuse. This would be the first GTY room I've booked, and I only did it because it's at least narrowed down to either the Boardwalk or Central Park sections of the ship. If it were an outside view GTY I may not have taken it for I may not find out which cabin I'll be assigned to till after final payment, and it may be difficult to get a cabin change if what I was given is in a less then desirable location. 

I've done guarantee rooms a couple of time. We normally only do them on Oasis class.  I have a neighborhood balcony guarantee booked for Oasis in April 21. My rule is if it over $200 less for guarantee, I go with that. Especially on the Oasis class when there really isn't a terrible ocean view balcony room.  Once they assign your room, you also have the option to move any another room in the same category if available. 

Guarantee is great option when you are willing to accept whatever might happen with your cabin assignment.  I've never had a bad experience because when I'm saving money I'm more open minded to whatever the outcome is.   I once booked an ocean view guarantee and was assigned a balcony.  I paid 1/3 of what my neighbors paid for the balcony.  I could have been assigned a true ocean view cabin in a terrible location but I got lucky. 

I'm not bothered by motion so I don't need to be on a lower deck in the middle of the ship.  Put me anywhere on a ship and I'm happy.  

All things being equal (cost) I'd rather pick my cabin so there is no unknown but when the GTY rates save me lots of money or if the cost of my airfare is paid for using the saving of a GTY cabin that's a huge plus for me.  In some cases GTY rates are close to non-GTY rates so it's not worth the gamble.  

I've done GTY 3 times, and was unhappy with location each time (under the pool, under the Windjammer, and over the theater-which wouldn't have been so bad except I had a toddler I was trying to get to go to sleep) so now I just pay the extra to choose the location I want. If the noise isn't a factor, it's a great way to save some $$.

We've done guarantee when you could book it as refundable.  I was tempted recently to upgrade to a neighbourood balcony guarantee for about $300 but it would have meant switching to non-refundable and we didn't want to do that with all the uncertainty. 

If you do book a guarantee, note that once you are assigned a room, you can call in and switch to any other available room of the same category.  We did that twice when they assigned us front of the ship, and we got a much better location of the same room.

17 hours ago, crisgold52 said:

I'd personally never do a GTY honestly. Theres too many unknowns and with Princess cancelling today thru Dec 15 one would assume that ANY START UP would most likely result in bumping GTY passengers to lower the loads. 

There won't be any cruising that will require bumping.  Cruising isn't staring until the pandemic is well under control.