Wonder of the Seas postponed

7 hours ago, twangster said:

Least of our concerns (as someone who is booked on Quantum to Alaska).

It's starting to look like Alaska has too much inventory when you look at all the cruise ships planning to go in 2021, but I could be wrong - coming from someone that's never been.  

24 minutes ago, mpoole3 said:

It's starting to look like Alaska has too much inventory when you look at all the cruise ships planning to go in 2021, but I could be wrong - coming from someone that's never been.  

For Americans who are looking for a cruise other than the Caribbean, Alaska is a natural alternative.  Many people haven't been but have almost had Alaska on their radar.   Alaska allows Americans to spend their vacation dollars in America, supporting their own country's recovery. 

When cruising first returns in 2021 there may be a trend to staying closer to home.  Fewer folks from Europe (or Asia or Australia) will be sailing from the Americas and fewer folks from the Americas will be sailing from Europe (or Asia or Australia).  In contrast to sailing the Med, Alaska is "safe" for Americans because it's mostly American ports and there are options to depart from an American port (Seattle).  This is the "safest" (emotionally) during the first year or two of post-pandemic cruising.  With the exception of a call in Victoria it's an "All American" vacation more so than any other cruise itinerary.

If anyone has been thinking about an Alaska cruise but put it off now is great time to begin thinking more seriously about an Alaskan cruise.

10 hours ago, twangster said:

If anyone has been thinking about an Alaska cruise but put it off now is great time to begin thinking more seriously about an Alaskan cruise.

I know logistics and all, but I wish they would post Alaska 2022 sailings earlier than they usually do. I'm also worried about those excursion operators and regular tourist vendors that are closing up shop. Such a blow to their economy.

12 hours ago, crisgold52 said:

Alaska cruises also depart out of Vancouver and on a 7 night for mid May assuming that even goes ahead.

Yes but leaving from an international departure port in the early restart phases when the virus hasn't been eradicated introduces unknowns and risk.  When the land border with Canada reopens there could be 4 hour wait times to cross for example.  Vancouver was an expensive airport to fly into pre-pandemic with long lines frequent for non-Canadian, they used to queue them upstairs waiting for the even longer lines downstairs to process.   What's that going to look like once mass travel resumes but the virus hasn't been fully eradicated?  Will they force planes to hold passengers on board for hours upon arrival?

For Americans departing from Seattle is safer.  

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Odyssey was coming to America for several months then doing a transatlantic on April 17 before starting her summer season in Europe. 

Instead of bringing her to America for a week or two then turning around for the transatlantic they scrapped everything up to what was always her first Greek cruise.  That first Greek cruise is now the inaugural.  I kind of figured that would be a likely option.  She might finish before that date like Symphony did but who knows.  

Her first cruise is now April 30th so pretty much May.  

5 hours ago, twangster said:

Originally Odyssey was coming to America for several months then doing a transatlantic on April 17 before starting her summer season in Europe. 

Instead of bringing her to America for a week or two then turning around for the transatlantic they scrapped everything up to what was always her first Greek cruise.  That first Greek cruise is now the inaugural.  I kind of figured that would be a likely option.  She might finish before that date like Symphony did but who knows.  

Her first cruise is now April 30th so pretty much May.  

Ok I knew that story. May scared me lol! I’m on her that October and thought I had plenty of cushion. If it was bumped again, I’d be getting concerned. Hopefully no more mishaps

6 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Yeah..sorry...off by the day....the first 29  days of April not there...so really....it's May...

I knew what you meant.. But I knew the person asking was going to be nervous in thinking they pushed it back again. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 7:44 AM, twangster said:

For Americans who are looking for a cruise other than the Caribbean, Alaska is a natural alternative.  Many people haven't been but have almost had Alaska on their radar.   Alaska allows Americans to spend their vacation dollars in America, supporting their own country's recovery. 

When cruising first returns in 2021 there may be a trend to staying closer to home.  Fewer folks from Europe (or Asia or Australia) will be sailing from the Americas and fewer folks from the Americas will be sailing from Europe (or Asia or Australia).  In contrast to sailing the Med, Alaska is "safe" for Americans because it's mostly American ports and there are options to depart from an American port (Seattle).  This is the "safest" (emotionally) during the first year or two of post-pandemic cruising.  With the exception of a call in Victoria it's an "All American" vacation more so than any other cruise itinerary.

I'm a huge Alaska fan.  Cruised 3x and I don't get tired of it.  The last frontier.