Website Update ?

1 hour ago, WannaCruise said:

Me thinks they are still having issues with their website....or it's just Royal math...

I have seen numbers like that too. I have never been able to understand how their percentage discounts are calculated because they never seem accurate to me.  Same can be said for prices on the cruise planner.  I swear they just put any percentage discount because they think nobody will do the math.

I usually price a cruise online and then call in to get the actual price. Sometimes it is the same but usually not.  Recently I called in to reprice a cruse based on a price I saw online and it was $400 less than the online price showed.  I wasn't going to complain. 

The biggest mystery to me is that sometimes the cruise fare is the same but the taxes/fees are totally different.  I really like it when the taxes/fees are $100 less because that price carries forward and always stays the same even if I reprice later on.

8 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

I swear they just put any percentage discount because they think nobody will do the math.

At least with the alcoholic drink package it's usually close to the calculated base price from the always 20% off in the planner. I assume they round to make the numbers even ... assuming no one has already done the math LOL.

12 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

At least with the alcoholic drink package it's usually close to the calculated base price from the always 20% off in the planner. I assume they round to make the numbers even ... assuming no one has already done the math LOL.

Is the base price 20% off to begin with and then an additional 25% off or what???  That is my problem because I never know what base price they are referring to in order to calculate the percentage discount.

11 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

Is the base price 20% off to begin with and then an additional 25% off or what???  That is my problem because I never know what base price they are referring to in order to calculate the percentage discount.

What I'll to calculate the base price of a sale (let's use my current $61 as an example):

61 / .80 = $76.25. So the price before sale is $76.25. With that number you can calculate the other prices (which are not always what Royal puts up as price).

25% = 76.25 * .25 = 19.0625. 76.25 - 19.0625 = 57.1875

30% = 76.25 * .30 = 22.875. 76.25 - 22.875  = 53.375

Obviously I'm using actual and not "dollar" rounding either.

The actual formula is something like ....

Original price = sale / (1.00 - percentage off).

That's where I get the 61/.80 above.

Edited by sk8erguy1978
Typo

1 hour ago, Dad2Cue said:

Nobody does.  It is supposed to be the % off the onboard price....but of course, nobody knows what the onboard price is !  It's an exercise in futility to try and figure out %'s.  Best just to go with the bottom line and save yourself the frustration !

image.png

15 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Nobody does.  It is supposed to be the % off the onboard price....but of course, nobody knows what the onboard price is !  It's an exercise in futility to try and figure out %'s.  Best just to go with the bottom line and save yourself the frustration !

Yeah, that's what I do.  I have a statistics degree and their numbers and calculations never cease to amaze me.  I have pointed out obvious errors that would result in me paying more.  They just insist the price is what it is.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

image.png

Hmmm...not sure how that graphic got posted in this thread...it belongs elsewhere.  I tried to remove it.  No joy.