Quantum Class Advice?

5 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Fair point, I forgot about Two70. But that is really an aft-only view, with fairly limited visibility to either side. My point with the Solarium was being able to easily go from looking out the front to either side as things come into view, all while staying indoors.

Even the WJ, which I also forgot is decently glass-enclosed, is limited to side views. You can go onto the outdoor dining area all the way aft and have a view better than Two70, but of course you’re outside.

And the Solarium and WJ are both on high decks, making for a more difficult view of any whales or other aquatic wildlife going by vs being on the deck 5 promenade.

Long way of saying that if you want good / flexible views while still indoors, I’d pick Radiance class every time.

100% agree. I also like the Serenade’s itinerary to Alaska better than Ovation and Quantum’s. The views from the ship are hard to beat!

3 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Even the WJ, which I also forgot is decently glass-enclosed, is limited to side views. You can go onto the outdoor dining area all the way aft and have a view better than Two70, but of course you’re outside.

And the Solarium and WJ are both on high decks, making for a more difficult view of any whales or other aquatic wildlife going by vs being on the deck 5 promenade.

Long way of saying that if you want good / flexible views while still indoors, I’d pick Radiance class every time.

WJ on Q class has limited side views?  There is floor to ceiling glass the length of the WJ, on both sides.  

Also, whales don't often appear right beside the ship thankfully or they'd have to slow to a crawl and there would delayed calls to ports.  They are more likely to be off a bit.  There are exceptions of course.

You really need to cruise to Alaska before making absolute statements.  In the past Radiance had an advantage in that it sailed to Icy Strait Point and Ovation did not.  That's changed now that Quantum will be making stops there.  The only advantage that Radiance has now is Hubbard Glacier and Serenade doesn't go there. 

The one-way Radiance itineraries that go North or South are better because you get more port time.  Anything round trip like Serenade, Ovation or Quantum can still provide an incredible Alaskan experience and that's what I'm doing for my 5th time back bringing someone with me who has never sailed to Alaska.  You really need to try it before knocking it.     

3 hours ago, twangster said:

WJ on Q class has limited side views?  There is floor to ceiling glass the length of the WJ, on both sides.

My comment said it’s limited to side views, not that the side views were limited. By which I meant you can’t see forward to know in advance something is coming your way, and to get on the proper side to view it well / get the camera ready for a picture. You have to pick a side and take what comes into view, or react to people ohh-ing and ahh-ing over something on the other side and hope you get there before it’s gone.

11 hours ago, JLMoran said:

My comment said it’s limited to side views, not that the side views were limited. By which I meant you can’t see forward to know in advance something is coming your way, and to get on the proper side to view it well / get the camera ready for a picture. You have to pick a side and take what comes into view, or react to people ohh-ing and ahh-ing over something on the other side and hope you get there before it’s gone.

So how is the Radiance WJ different or better?

BTW - The phenomenon you describe of picking a side happens all over the ship - ALL ships in Alaska.   There is no right side or wrong side.  That's why I laugh when people pay a premium for a balcony on the "better" side of the ship.  

On 7/17/2020 at 8:53 PM, F1guynz said:

You will have to come down this way for a cruise sometime once normal service resumes ?

Cheers, Carl

Carl, I am taking you up on your invitation.  Last night I booked the 11 night 3-30-22 Ovation cruise (NZ roundabout) and the 16 night 4-10-22 Ovation TP from Sydney to HON.  As soon as the new schedules come out, we will book the HON-SEA (assuming OoS will be sailing out of SEA in 2022) and the first Ovation Alaska cruise.  It's our most ambitious cruise itin yet !  We will spend a week or so in Oz before we start cruising.  We are both SO excited.  Can't wait.  First trip to Oz (not for work), first time to NZ, first TP, first Alaska.  I figure if we're going to spend upwards of $10K to fly all that way we might as well make the most of our time on your side of the beach ball.

52 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Carl, I am taking you up on your invitation.  Last night I booked the 11 night 3-30-22 Ovation cruise (NZ roundabout) and the 16 night 4-10-22 Ovation TP from Sydney to HON.  As soon as the new schedules come out, we will book the HON-SEA (assuming OoS will be sailing out of SEA in 2022) and the first Ovation Alaska cruise.  It's our most ambitious cruise itin yet !  We will spend a week or so in Oz before we start cruising.  We are both SO excited.  Can't wait.  First trip to Oz (not for work), first time to NZ, first TP, first Alaska.  I figure if we're going to spend upwards of $10 to fly all that way we might as well make the most of our time on your side of the beach ball.

Raye, you have always been my role model!  lol  I started booking suites partially from reading all your posts years back, and we know how the Star Class habit got started, I need to add this to the "want/must have" 10 year plan when I retire! 

14 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Raye, you have always been my role model!  lol  I started booking suites partially from reading all your posts years back, and we know how the Star Class habit got started, I need to add this to the "want/must have" 10 year plan when I retire! 

I will always credit @WAAAYTOOO for her advice on star class luggage when arriving at the port. “DO NOT surrender your bags”. LOL  

12 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Raye, you have always been my role model!  

What a sweet thing to say !  Right back atcha.

Yes, I will say that 2022 is working into quite an ambitious year.  By then, hopefully, we will be living in FL (which makes no sense for booking cruises out of Australia, but that's another story), and we have a B3B Star Class booked for Oasis in January 2022.  We certainly cannot afford to do SC all the way across the Pacific (nor would I want to...too much of a good thing) but I do plan on making that last leg (Alaska) SC.

Dan has ALWAYS wanted to go to the South Pacific (me too !) so we are really excited about Tahiti and Bora Bora.  I can't wait for the new itins to come out so that we can get those booked.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

What a sweet thing to say !  Right back atcha.

Yes, I will say that 2022 is working into quite an ambitious year.  By then, hopefully, we will be living in FL (which makes no sense for booking cruises out of Australia, but that's another story), and we have a B3B Star Class booked for Oasis in January 2022.  We certainly cannot afford to do SC all the way across the Pacific (nor would I want to...too much of a good thing) but I do plan on making that last leg (Alaska) SC.

Dan has ALWAYS wanted to go to the South Pacific (me too !) so we are really excited about Tahiti and Bora Bora.  I can't wait for the new itins to come out so that we can get those booked.

Would one of those Oasis cruises be 1/09/2022. We are booked in a SC suite then. Our first and of course, booked it after reading so many of yours and other's SC posts!! 

1 minute ago, Kathleen said:

Would one of those Oasis cruises be 1/09/2022. We are booked in a SC suite then. Our first and of course, booked it after reading so many of yours and other's SC posts!! 

Yes, it is !  We are in the Grand Panoramic Suite (1701) Jan 9-30 2022.  I’m so happy to know you will be there too !  You will be ruined forever. ??

3 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yes, it is !  We are in the Grand Panoramic Suite (1701) Jan 9-30 2022.  I’m so happy to know you will be there too !  You will be ruined forever. ??

As time gets closer and our world hopefully starts to right itself, I'd love to come see the Grand Panoramic Suite and meet you!

@WAAAYTOOO  Congratulation on living the dream...

I aspire to be you in about 11 years. I have been working rather aggressively to retire at no later than 47. Before COVID happened, I was on track to retire in only 8 years but ugh......

My dream is Australia/NZ and the Panama Canal was added after frequenting this blog. I would love to be able to cruise for a month/5weeks at a time. Although I never wanted to live in Florida, too humid.

6 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I am taking you up on your invitation

Fantastic!! I am so excited for you as that is an awesome itinerary.

As they say "go big or go home" and you have definitely gone big. We did 3 weeks in Alaska a few years ago and loved it.

By the time you have cruised NZ and Alaska you will be all sceneried out. ?

We are booked on Ovation for the same TP so hopefully we will be able to meet up.

8 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Last night I booked the 11 night 3-30-22 Ovation cruise (NZ roundabout) and the 16 night 4-10-22 Ovation TP from Sydney to HON.  As soon as the new schedules come out, we will book the HON-SEA (assuming OoS will be sailing out of SEA in 2022) and the first Ovation Alaska cruise. 

Friends don't let friends cruise alone (not that you'll be alone), so I booked the first two.  Dinner in Coastal Kitchen?

Have to see about the next two.  HNL to YVR for sure but may delay Alaska to accommodate family. 

23 minutes ago, twangster said:

Friends don't let friends cruise alone (not that you'll be alone), so I booked the first two.  Dinner in Coastal Kitchen?

Have to see about the next two.  HNL to YVR for sure but may delay Alaska to accommodate family. 

You’re a peach !  Looks like it’ll be a party !  Can’t wait to meet Carl and to see you again.

We’ll be in a lowly JS (at least, for now) so not sure if we’ll be able to get into the CK but hopefully some time in 30+ days we can find a time to sneak in.  If the stars align just right (but mostly if they don’t cancel our Nov and Dec cruises....big if), we will turn Pinnacle on the HNL-YVR leg.

Yippee !!

1 minute ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

You’re a peach !  Looks like it’ll be a party !  Can’t wait to meet Carl and to see you again.

We’ll be in a lowly JS (at least, for now) so not sure if we’ll be able to get into the CK but hopefully some time in 30+ days we can find a time to sneak in.  If the stars align just right (but mostly if they don’t cancel our Nov and Dec cruises....big if), we will turn Pinnacle on the HNL-YVR leg.

Yippee !!

That would be awesome!  

JS stands a decent chance in NZ but the TP may be elite heavy.  If that's the case even Pinnacle may be restricted to a few nights in CK.  

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2020 at 6:48 AM, bigpete said:

Has anyone ever been to the Canary Islands or Norway on a cruise in this forum? Both cruises look interesting.. one is on Anthem the other is CCL... just wondering though, is one better than the other?

Both are great itineraries. Simply put, the Canary Islands are very much like Hawaii whereas Norway is much like Alaska. I don't think you can go wrong with either. It really depends on what your interests are. If you're a beach person, you'll love the Canary Islands plus you'll go to islands that are part of Portugal and Spain.