Ageism at RCCL!

bcarney

I'm in the process of going through my online check-in for my April 5 cruise. When I got to the form where I had to select my date of birth, the oldest year that was possible to select was 1900.  Why is Royal Caribbean discriminating against 114 year olds?  I certainly plan on cruising when I'm that age.  Looks like I'll have to find another cruise line when I'm a centenerarian-plus.  Holland America (aka "God's waiting room") perhaps?

:)

I'm in the process of going through my online check-in for my April 5 cruise. When I got to the form where I had to select my date of birth, the oldest year that was possible to select was 1900.  Why is Royal Caribbean discriminating against 114 year olds?  I certainly plan on cruising when I'm that age.  Looks like I'll have to find another cruise line when I'm a centenerarian-plus.  Holland America (aka "God's waiting room") perhaps?

LOL at your Holland America comment. Had friends go on HAL and they said most of the other passengers were 3 times their age! Bill, you're sailing Oasis in a couple weeks. I know you'll have a fab time! Warning: You won't want to come back home! Hopefully all the snow will melt by the time you get back in town and it will actually look like Spring has arrived in Michigan.  :D

Safe travels. 

From what I've heard, we wouldn't even sail HAL at that age. Understand you can have ship to yourself during scheduled nap time each afternoon.

LOL at your Holland America comment. Had friends go on HAL and they said most of the other passengers were 3 times their age! Bill, you're sailing Oasis in a couple weeks. I know you'll have a fab time! Warning: You won't want to come back home! Hopefully all the snow will melt by the time you get back in town and it will actually look like Spring has arrived in Michigan.  :D

Safe travels. 

I keep clicking my heels together and saying "there is no snow in the Bahamas…there is no snow in St. Thomas… there is no snow in St. Maarten…" LOL

On a past visit to St. Maarten we were docked next to a HAL ship, and an elderly lady (had to be in her 90s from the look of her) in a wheelchair came off the ship wearing an oxygen mask, being pushed by her butler/assistant that appeared to be in his 60s.  He was completely in uniform, black outfit and everything.  They got off the ship, paused for a moment, she waved her hand in the air, and they returned to the ship.

It was at that point I decided it would be four or five decades before I sail on HAL...

• 2 weeks later...

Want a cruise in a Nursing home them join a lengthier cruise from an Australian port. We just did a 33 night B2B on Radiance OTS.. The first leg we were the youngest people at our 10 person table by 30 years (Im 46, partner is 40) there were only 50 people onboard under 18 and 7 people under 12. Every time we docked at a port there was a line-up of ambulances waiting to carry people to hospital... was quite an experience.

Want a cruise in a Nursing home them join a lengthier cruise from an Australian port. We just did a 33 night B2B on Radiance OTS.. The first leg we were the youngest people at our 10 person table by 30 years (Im 46, partner is 40) there were only 50 people onboard under 18 and 7 people under 12. Every time we docked at a port there was a line-up of ambulances waiting to carry people to hospital... was quite an experience.

Ambulances? Holy smokes!  

On our 10+ day cruises we definitely noticed it age difference, skewing towards the older set.  I chalked it up to kids and schooling, etc.  

A while back I watched an English TV program called "The Cruise: A LIfe At Sea" where they followed several people on a round the world cruise.  I can't imagine 100+ days at sea.  Where would I store all my new T-shirts from each port?!? :)  nearly all the cruisers were 60+ including some folks that probably shouldn't have gone on a cruise.

nearly all the cruisers were 60+ including some folks that probably shouldn't have gone on a cruise.

60's would have been awesome... this cruise had a majority on their 70's and 80's.. We have alot of the longer cruises here as everything is so far away, plus we have better leave entitlements in Australia.. The majority of the cruises here are all 10+ nights