is the Vroom service worth it?

VOOM is Royal Caribbean's onboard Wi-Fi service. It's not a cellular service and can be used by your device in "Airplane Mode". Your cellular carrier is not involved at all.

Whether it's worth it is a different question. That's going to depend on the ship and how you want to use it. (Some ships have significantly faster VOOM than others, now that Royal Caribbean is calling all their Wi-Fi offerings "VOOM".)

Bottom line, VOOM is faster and cheaper than the "old" wifi service, do that's definitely a win.

Will you use it enough to justify the cost? That's a decision for you. But keep in mind:it will only take a VERY FEW minutes of cellular at sea to equal the cost of VOOM.

I am wondering if the Vroom service is worth it?  Do I also have to contact my carrier for roaming or does Vroom take care of that?  I have ATT as my carrier??

I loved Voom on the Oasis! Posting pictures on my FB via my smart phone in airplane mode , while I sit on the deck watching the water and sipping my frosty drink. Some distant relative died while I was on board and I had immediate messaging available. Not even sure how,but I also got my text from my son about the situation. I swear I never took my phone out of airplane mode but my messaging capability was the same as if I were home. Loved posting Instagram pictures to journal our cruise also!

I loved Voom on the Oasis! Posting pictures on my FB via my smart phone in airplane mode , while I sit on the deck watching the water and sipping my frosty drink. Some distant relative died while I was on board and I had immediate messaging available. Not even sure how,but I also got my text from my son about the situation. I swear I never took my phone out of airplane mode but my messaging capability was the same as if I were home. Loved posting Instagram pictures to journal our cruise also!

FYI, the way you received texts (and likely could make and receive calls) through WiFi calling.  Newer iPhones and many Android phones support this on the major US networks.  It allows calling and texting to happen over WiFi, without a cellular connection (airplane mode on).  It's also possible that you were receiving iMessages, which look like texts, but are sent only between Apple devices.

FYI, the way you received texts (and likely could make and receive calls) through WiFi calling.  Newer iPhones and many Android phones support this on the major US networks.  It allows calling and texting to happen over WiFi, without a cellular connection (airplane mode on).  It's also possible that you were receiving iMessages, which look like texts, but are sent only between Apple devices.

Yes, I have a Samsung Galaxy. My son was so funny. He texted me "I thought you said you couldn't receive texts??" haha I guess I lied. But seriously, with Voom the messaging was seamless!

I am wondering if the Vroom service is worth it?  Do I also have to contact my carrier for roaming or does Vroom take care of that?  I have ATT as my carrier??

The real question is do you want to have Internet access on the cruise? Does not matter if the price is fair, high or low, if the service is great, fair, or bad. If you want internet access and to be able to us your phone you really have no choice, purchase it or have no access. Yes very close to land your phone can work but limited, and ATT does have a roaming deal but again very limited.

Has anybody actually tried the wifi calling yet? We are anxious to do this in Sept

Yes I did calling over FaceTime (both video and just voice calls) and via what's app. Worked fine most of the time.

The signal was variable around the ship, on Harmony, but significantly improved as our cruise went on so I put it down to issues with a brand new system.

I used Wi-Fi Calling with my iPhone on Verizon Wireless during my last cruise. I was surprised it worked as well as it did given that Freedom of the Seas didn't have the fast VOOM internet service at the time.

I was able to both make and receive calls with it.

I do want to caution people. It looks like Royal Caribbean is calling their Wi-Fi service VOOM on all ships, not just the ones with the faster, broadband-like service.

So, just because you see VOOM offered on a ship doesn't necessarily mean that it's the super-fast internet that they've been touting.

I do want to caution people. It looks like Royal Caribbean is calling their Wi-Fi service VOOM on all ships, not just the ones with the faster, broadband-like service.

So, just because you see VOOM offered on a ship doesn't necessarily mean that it's the super-fast internet that they've been touting. 

That's the thing that I've been concerned about. I want to be able to Skype when on Liberty of the Seas in August. Has anyone sailed on the LOTS since it was 'upgraded' to VOOM in May? I'd love to hear your opinion.

I do want to caution people. It looks like Royal Caribbean is calling their Wi-Fi service VOOM on all ships, not just the ones with the faster, broadband-like service.

Marc, I'm not sure that I'm right, but I'm inclined to believe that without significant variation, all ships are using the same technology, that it's the itinerary that is the variable here.  Voom worked great on Allure, but I have a hunch that the footprint of the primary (fast) service being used likely doesn't extend to the middle of the Atlantic, or the Northern end of the Gulf of Alaska.  Have anything that anecdotally supports or contradicts this?

Either way, RCCL should probably work on setting more realistic expectations.

BH

Does Oasis have the fast VOOM yet?

Tests on Oasis have been positive.  People regularly stream video to and from Oasis OTS.  As mentioned above however, I greatly suspect this is more based on location than it is the ship.  As all schedule Oasis sailings are in the Caribbean/Bahamas, all should be well.

Tests on Oasis have been positive.  People regularly stream video to and from Oasis OTS.  As mentioned above however, I greatly suspect this is more based on location than it is the ship.  As all schedule Oasis sailings are in the Caribbean/Bahamas, all should be well.

In theory it really should not matter where you are located, as long as you are within the prime coverage area of the constellation of 12 satellites that make up the 3B Networks (Company providing service to Royal). 3B networks says that the Optimal coverage between 45° north/south latitudes or 3100 miles north or south of the Equator, with a service limit of  62°, with covers 99 % of the Royal service area. 

From the company website:

"Steerable Beams Tracking Your Ship. O3b’s satellite beams follow the ship on its normal route. O3b maintains the ship within the beam centre.O3b receives latitude/longitude updates on two hour intervals via in-band or out-of-band channel. Beam tracking updates in real time if the ship has to change course." 

So if one says it works great in St Thomas, the same should be said for everywhere along the same latitude.  Other counties also at this latitude are Mali, Chad, Saudi Arabia, Oman, India, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam., Philippines, Mexico, etc. So the service should be the same speed for all. As about every 2 hours the satellite you are using is out of range and you pick up the next one. 

And yes I know this is way to much information unless you are another Tech Geek.

Haven't used facetime but have used Google Hangouts video chat (same deal) and it was crystal clear and smooth.

@Todd - good info, thanks.  corroborates my thoughts about AK sailings.  to give you an idea the mouth of the Columbia river is at about 46N latitude.

In theory it really should not matter where you are located, as long as you are within the prime coverage area of the constellation of 12 satellites that make up the 3B Networks (Company providing service to Royal). 3B networks says that the Optimal coverage between 45° north/south latitudes or 3100 miles north or south of the Equator, with a service limit of  62°, with covers 99 % of the Royal service area. 

Should be interesting on my Baltics cruise as I'm very close to the limits of the operating range of the satellite network during the cruise.

I recently sailed on the Enchantment and the vroom was great. I have a magic Jack at home so I used their app and the wifi calling worked great (on a Galaxy S5). The connection was clear and there was no dropped calls. I had the vroom streaming and was able to watch Netfix and Hulu with out any buffering. The signal was strong in my cabin and by the pool. We traveled to Nassau and coco cay and the weather was great. I do not know if the weather affects satellite service but I heard that weather may affect service from people who have had satellite service at home. I even used the wifi app on my tablet with no difficulties. :)