Tip with drink package...?

Everyone is different and there is no right or wrong answer! 

If you decide to do as above and tip $1 every round or every drink thats your choice. 

Same if you decide just to hand over $5 , $10 or even $100 to your favourite bar person at the end of cruise.

Or you may decide youve already paid the 18% gratuties so they are not getting anymore.

Its your choice and you do what you feel is right for you ? 

I usually carry around a few singles in my pocket, and by the end of day 2 I have usually found my bar, my spot and my favorite bartender.   Those singles go a long way in finding that spot.  ?  I don't always give the extra, but when I can I do - especially if my spot is in an underused area and they aren't getting a lot of tips.  Those same evening bartenders that in the daytime are at a crazy busy pool deck will see you in the crowd and often bump you ahead by making your drink - we had one on our 12 night Serenade that knew our cabin number by heart around day 3-4 so she took good care of us at the pool, just handing over the drink (we had the drink package) and she'd type in the cabin number.   

We spend a lot of time near the pool bar and by day 2 I know who my favorite bartenders are.  I find a little friendliness and appreciation plus an extra $20 or so early in the cruise makes a huge difference.  (We’ll usually give those same another additional tip near the end).  Always good to have a friend or two behind the bar. 

55 minutes ago, crisgold52 said:

Bar staff are staff and get higher wages. So keep this in mind. It's more back breaking to make beds and clean cabins than to mix several cocktails:)

Bar staff compensation is set with the understanding that gratuity is part of their total compensation.   I'd argue making a bed isn't back breaking work.  Hauling bags of ice and cases of beverages around the ship to keep the bars stocked is different but also physical work, possibly more so than cleaning a bathroom.  

Bar positions require a higher level knowledge, interacting continually with guests the entire shift and mastering drinks with all the variances of guests from dozens of countries order the same drink using 10 different names.   I've had cabin attendants who were early with learning english but we managed just fine, a waiter who can't comprehend well is a disaster.  Bar staff language skills are essential to the job as is their personality, much more so that a cabin attendant you might see once a day or you might see every few days.  

Unlike wait staff on land, not all of that 18% auto-gratuity goes to the server.  In fact only a small portion does.  Like or it not the rest goes to other purposes as set by management.

As far as the spa and pricing you have two factors in play.  The cost of doing business on the sea is higher than on land but also they know they have a captive audience and people are more likely to splurge on vacation so they capitalize on that.  Spa services in a resort town at a resort aren't bargain prices either for the same reason and don't compare to spa services in your hometown.  I don't recall spa services on board going up "a lot" year over year, no more than increases on land.  

13 hours ago, crisgold52 said:

I've never really known a bar tender to offer personalized drink service. Only in the MDR was there personalized service from main waiter and assistant. Most bar stuff were swamped and busy and didnt do much chatting... 

I’ve had bartenders know my name and preferred drink and I order by confirming I want the same as before. (Vodka Ginger with a lime please)  I do usually present my cards because I’m getting a drink for the wife too.  Maybe I’m ordering too many drinks from the pool bar. ?

6 hours ago, crisgold52 said:

UNLESS you are on a ship like a VIKING or Crystal, where they KNOW your likes and dislikes, a mainstream cruise line never gets to that level.

Very different experience for me.  I can cite many Royal ships where the bar staff know exactly what I like and in some cases have it ready for me as I approach.  

6 hours ago, crisgold52 said:

Yes gratuity is part of their compensationt but with the social classes and hierarchy of the way cruise ship company is organized, aka Crew, Staff, Officers, generally the lowest on the food chain do the most labor intensive work. Guest services for instance, talk and talk and basically there's lesser of them than cabin stewards. Cabin stewards do more manual labor while guest services don't really do manual labor but they also get compensated more.

You have in a nutshell defined the entire service industry in Canada.  Oh, and I guess it works that way on a ship too.  

14 minutes ago, crisgold52 said:

Yep there are many 'classes' of people on a cruise ships' company. I personally would not want to tip a bartender, when we already pay tips. Why spoil the market? The vast majority of passengers I've seen have never tipped and most of the bartenders I've found are never willing to 'chat' but are hurriedly rushing between patrons at the counter which is also often times a gong show. Often times I find it less crazy to simply order alcohol in the MDR.

What's the difference between a canoe and a Canadian?  A canoe tips.  

Canadian myself who happens to live in the US so I understand the tipping differences between the US and Canada.

Far from a bar fly I've spent enough time at bars that I do see them slammed at times, no different than a popular bar on land compared to a ship.  Hang around a bar long enough and there are times any bartender can chat, on land or at sea.  

I've rarely found the MDR bar service to be better than elsewhere, possibly never.

4 hours ago, crisgold52 said:

Sat at the bar twice. Gong show with tons of people around me all jockeying to get drinks. Yep no personalized service.

When you tip at a bar on a ship, even a little, especially early in a cruise, they see you coming, even if it's busy. Service becomes much more personalized. At least that's been our experience on every cruise to date.

I do believe that it is possible to get better service with tips and whether you do or don't is personal preference. Yes, we pay gratuity already but.......for me I think of it like this. In comparison to say a trip to something like Disney or like a Gate1 Spain itinerary, a cruise is a much cheaper all-inclusive. The extra $100-230 I might shell out in tips for the entire cruise could be the cost of one dinner. So giving a little extra doesn't hurt me too much.

I agree.  The crew probably isn’t making big money, and I’m guessing a few extra bucks means more to one of them than it does to me.  They are ways from their homes, families and friends so I can have a great vacation.   My first job was a busboy, and I waited tables and bartended for my early twenties. I took a lot of pride in being good at both serving food and drinks.  It’s honest work, and those who are great at it deserve to be recognized.  If you add up what you’d pay in tips for all of the tippable services you receive onboard daily, I’m sure it would be more than what the daily fee is. I don’t think you have to break the bank to do the right thing...

On 7/11/2020 at 3:56 PM, nrgMike said:

Hello.

I’ve only been on 1 cruise but never bought the drink package? Do you tip still with the drink package? I know its optional but wanted to know what other people do.

Thank You

Michael

We always tip. Take good care of the crew and they will take good care of you.