Royal Caribbean Blog

22 minutes ago, Jmccaffrey said:

WOW 13 ships to leave the fleet!!!  Looks like Carnival is having a hard time with shutdown then RC is. 

13 across all carnival group so about 1.3 ships per cruiseline. 

1 hour ago, Jmccaffrey said:

WOW 13 ships to leave the fleet!!!  Looks like Carnival is having a hard time with shutdown then RC is. 

Think they have a steeper hill to climb.  Had some major issues with their Princess and HAL fleet pre-shutdown.  Also have been under a consent agreement for environmental issues (illegal dumping).  Think that's why RCL and NCL held hands on the new health protocols.   Not a wide bridge to cross on past performance.  Just a guess.

I wish Carnival had some kind of cruise with confidence program for cruises already booked, but not yet cancelled like Royal does. I have 3 rooms booked for family for a cruise with them this November.  Due to health concerns with some of them we had all decided it was best to postpone that cruise and book another one for next May. The November cruise was booked as a non-refundable deposit (who knew this was going to happen last year when we originally booked it). The cruise we booked for May was booked as a refundable deposit just in case. While we do not want to see cruises still being cancelled in November, we still have that cruise on the books till final payment is due in the hopes of taking advantage of what they do offer guests on cancelled cruises if in the unlikely event they do cancel it and use them for the May cruise. If there's no word on what's happening with that cruise come final payment, we'll just have to cancel it and eat the deposits on those rooms.

1 hour ago, USFFrank said:

I wish Carnival had some kind of cruise with confidence program for cruises already booked, but not yet cancelled like Royal does. I have 3 rooms booked for family for a cruise with them this November.  Due to health concerns with some of them we had all decided it was best to postpone that cruise and book another one for next May. The November cruise was booked as a non-refundable deposit (who knew this was going to happen last year when we originally booked it). The cruise we booked for May was booked as a refundable deposit just in case. While we do not want to see cruises still being cancelled in November, we still have that cruise on the books till final payment is due in the hopes of taking advantage of what they do offer guests on cancelled cruises if in the unlikely event they do cancel it and use them for the May cruise. If there's no word on what's happening with that cruise come final payment, we'll just have to cancel it and eat the deposits on those rooms.

Theres a loop hole with non refundable deposits... if a future cruise credit fully covers the price of the voyage fare pre tax then no harm is done as the deposit gets rolled into covering the taxes. And taxes by default are automatically refundable so a non refundable deposit is actually refundable this way 

8 hours ago, Ray said:

13 across all carnival group so about 1.3 ships per cruiseline. 

While that is true, when u look at the full fleet of 109 ship. You see them removing 13 ships. That is about a 12% reduction in the total fleet size.

Carnival Cruise Line -  27 ships 
Princess Cruises - 19 ships
Holland America Line - 14 ships
Seabourn - 5 ships
Cunard - 3 Ships
AIDA Cruises - 13 ships
Costa Cruises - 17 ships
P&O Cruises (UK) - 7 Ships
P&O Cruises (Australia) - 4 Ships

109 down to 96 is it really a big difference? If it was 13 from say 40 then yeah thats a lot but in this current climate every business not just cruiselines are cutting costs. Company i work for shed 2500 employees, thats 2500 people who now dont have the same disposable income to spend on things such as cruises. Every business is being effected and because of this they are going to have to cut their expenses and overheads just to survive 

I think Carnival is in a good position to come out of all of this mess.  They are far less leveraged with new behemoth ships than most of the others and they can constrict their brand by retiring the entire Fantasy Class of ship which needs to be done anyway.

By basically staying out of the ship "arms race" of the last 20 years, they are looking pretty smart right now in my opinion.

14 hours ago, USFFrank said:

Got the same problem for Mardi Gras, even if the cruise goes ahead I still probably wont be able to get into the country. They need some kinda of lift and shift program.

I think you only lose $50 USD per person for cancelling. You get the rest of the deposit as FCC.

38 minutes ago, mattymay said:

Got the same problem for Mardi Gras, even if the cruise goes ahead I still probably wont be able to get into the country. They need some kinda of lift and shift program.

I think you only lose $50 USD per person for cancelling. You get the rest of the deposit as FCC.

Are you in Canada? If so only the land border is closed. Its really a double standard since one can easily circumvent the closure by hopping on a flight and flying over... 

2 hours ago, crisgold52 said:

Are you in Canada? If so only the land border is closed. Its really a double standard since one can easily circumvent the closure by hopping on a flight and flying over... 

I see the air route to Canada as a compromise and it establishes a threshold to travel.  Anyone with a car can drive to the border, all it requires is a passport and a tank of gas.  To purposely buy a plane ticket and fly into Canada, which was expensive to begin with, sets a bar that fewer people are willing to do (or should be).

On 7/12/2020 at 7:34 PM, crisgold52 said:

Australia. Travel ban preventing anyone leaving the country.

Also, two main airlines that fly to US. Qantas have cancelled all international flights until July 2021. Virgin Australia have gone into administration.