Cruise Insurance Question.

I have had three cruises since I became enlightened and have 2 more planned for 2022. For two of my cruises I have bought cruise insurance, primarily for the medical evacuation coverage. I am not so worried about trip interruption, lost baggage, ad&d, etc. I am not a rich man but I will not be on the soup line if I have a loss like that. But I have heard the stories of large expenses for medical evacuations from the ship. One of my concerns is that I am 62, with normal 62 year old male problems, and I am concerned about pre-existing condition coverage.

I have normal medical insurance through my employer. I called yesterday to find out about it's coverage for medical and medical evacuations. According to the person I spoke with, my normal medical insurance covers both of these cases. I would have to pay up front and be reimbursed, but I can handle that.

Has anyone out there had to use their normal medical insurance for these types of expenses on a cruise? Was it covered by you insurance or did you have any problems?

TIA

Steven

Another issue that I have run into regarding pre-existing conditions. Many of the policies say that that you must purchase the insurance within 15 days for there to be a waiver for pre-existing conditions. The problem is, very few of them allow me to purchase 600 days in advance. And the ones that are available now are pretty expensive. So it's a Catch-22, buy early if you want the waiver but there aren't any (or many) to buy.

3 hours ago, stevendom57 said:

Another issue that I have run into regarding pre-existing conditions. Many of the policies say that that you must purchase the insurance within 15 days for there to be a waiver for pre-existing conditions. The problem is, very few of them allow me to purchase 600 days in advance. And the ones that are available now are pretty expensive. So it's a Catch-22, buy early if you want the waiver but there aren't any (or many) to buy.

I looked for my September 2021 sailing and Travel Guard stops at July 2021.

1 hour ago, crisgold52 said:

Travelguard at this time nor will ANY carrier insure against Covid-19 which is a known event. So on a ship if one comes down with Covid-19 the medical portion of that plan will NOT cover it. As a Canadian its making me think twice now as with our travel advisories in place, a lot of these insurance carriers don't want to assume risk by insuring covid and especially not when our Federal Government also recommends against no travel on cruise ships for the forseeable future. So I guess if the stars align and I do sail on my three nighter in November... I will be assuming risk without insurance covering covid-19.

My normal medical insurance will cover COVID-19, both treatment and evacuation. Plus it will cover any other medical problems I run into, both new and pre-existing. I guess I am trying to decide if it is worth spending several hundred collars to cover things like missing luggage. Of course, insurance is for the stuff that is NOT planned for. If I have the medical covered, I think I will self insure on the others, even if it means the entire vacation.

12 hours ago, crisgold52 said:

Travelguard at this time nor will ANY carrier insure against Covid-19 which is a known event. So on a ship if one comes down with Covid-19 the medical portion of that plan will NOT cover it. As a Canadian its making me think twice now as with our travel advisories in place, a lot of these insurance carriers don't want to assume risk by insuring covid and especially not when our Federal Government also recommends against no travel on cruise ships for the forseeable future. So I guess if the stars align and I do sail on my three nighter in November... I will be assuming risk without insurance covering covid-19.

8 hours ago, crisgold52 said:

Lucky. Are you in the US? I have no idea how US policies are underwritten  but here in Canada as long as the travel advisory is in place then all medical claims pertaining to covid 19 are not covered and its explicitly stated now in most policies if not all here in Canada. The only grey area that one could argue is IF they purchased their insurance before Mar 14 2020 as its insured assuming policy was issued prior to that date

https://www.travelguard.com/covid19notification

https://www.travelguardworldwide.com/covid19noticeCA

Paragraph one sorta says no, paragraph two says yes. These are the times to read the boring lawyer speak deep into the terms and conditions and not just bullets & notices. Hopefully, by September 2021 (next cruise) there will be some sort of vaccine &/or treatment and these sort of concerns will behind us.

11 hours ago, crisgold52 said:

Lucky. Are you in the US? I have no idea how US policies are underwritten  but here in Canada as long as the travel advisory is in place then all medical claims pertaining to covid 19 are not covered and its explicitly stated now in most policies if not all here in Canada. The only grey area that one could argue is IF they purchased their insurance before Mar 14 2020 as its insured assuming policy was issued prior to that date

Yes, I am in the US. Travel insurance policies are written to exclude COVID-19 claims. But my normal medical insurance will cover it. That's why I am wondering why I should buy travel insurance.

Emergency medical transport/evac, medical care in a country other than the United States, and transportation back to the United States are our main concerns.  Our medical insurance doesn't cover those, so that's the main reason we buy trip insurance.

If our medical insurance covered those three things, we would most likely take the chance on everything else.

1 hour ago, crisgold52 said:

As of Sunday July 12 :

Florida health officials on Sunday reported 15,300 new Covid-19 cases

Thats what happens when you go to the beach instead of staying indoors ?