First and Last to Cruise

FManke

No numbers analysis for me, just thinking about the statements already made and where they logically lead.

My vote for first ship to sail is Symphony. It's been stated that the bigger ships are more profitable with smaller passenger counts, and she's the biggest (as well as the newest) they've got. She's also got all the bells and whistles, making it easy for the people who book on her to enjoy their time even while social distancing.

I think it will be the radiance class ships that are the last to return to service. They're smaller than vision class and from what I've seen do mainly more-boutique itineraries. Which Radiance ship specifically? My bet's on Radiance, which if I remember rightly is the ship assigned to the Alaskan sailings. I think with Canada shutting down their border for the foreseeable future, Alaskan sailings are going to be the very last to resume, even though they're typically the 7-night duration that regions like the EU are looking to max out at. When Alaska does open up, they'll put Ovation back on those sailings before any Radiance class ship, since she's bigger / more bells and whistles / more profitable with reduced passenger count.

I think Empress will actually sail before the Radiance ships, or at least before the last one, even though she's smallest of them all. She can do the 7-night Bermuda sailings out of NJ that go nowhere else while Anthem / Adventure / Freedom can do the 5-night version. Alternately, she could be put on a purely Canadian itinerary, say from Montreal to Halifax and back, avoiding the problem of a closed border with the US; and yes, that might even make it possible to leverage the double standard that exists with flying into the country from the US today, making it possible for US passengers to do that sailing while Canadian passengers fly to / sail out of Bayonne.

So there you go, for whatever it's worth. ? 

7 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

No numbers analysis for me, just thinking about the statements already made and where they logically lead.

My vote for first ship to sail is Symphony. It's been stated that the bigger ships are more profitable with smaller passenger counts, and she's the biggest (as well as the newest) they've got. She's also got all the bells and whistles, making it easy for the people who book on her to enjoy their time even while social distancing.

I think it will be the radiance class ships that are the last to return to service. They're smaller than vision class and from what I've seen do mainly more-boutique itineraries. Which Radiance ship specifically? My bet's on Radiance, which if I remember rightly is the ship assigned to the Alaskan sailings. I think with Canada shutting down their border for the foreseeable future, Alaskan sailings are going to be the very last to resume, even though they're typically the 7-night duration that regions like the EU are looking to max out at. When Alaska does open up, they'll put Ovation back on those sailings before any Radiance class ship, since she's bigger / more bells and whistles / more profitable with reduced passenger count.

I think Empress will actually sail before the Radiance ships, or at least before the last one, even though she's smallest of them all. She can do the 7-night Bermuda sailings out of NJ that go nowhere else while Anthem / Adventure / Freedom can do the 5-night version. Alternately, she could be put on a purely Canadian itinerary, say from Montreal to Halifax and back, avoiding the problem of a closed border with the US; and yes, that might even make it possible to leverage the double standard that exists with flying into the country from the US today, making it possible for US passengers to do that sailing while Canadian passengers fly to / sail out of Bayonne.

JLMoran, I am scheduled to sail the Radiance in Alaska June 2021.  So, if you think they will cancel my sailing, do you think they will cancel my reservation or move me to Ovation/ Quantum?  Why do you think they would cancel Radiance rather than Serenade which sails round-trips out of Vancouver?

13 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Also, Radiance is larger than Rhapsody.

25 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Sound thinking.

7 minutes ago, MichelleB1234 said:

JLMoran, I am scheduled to sail the Radiance in Alaska June 2021.  So, if you think they will cancel my sailing, do you think they will cancel my reservation or move me to Ovation/ Quantum?  Why do you think they would cancel Radiance rather than Serenade which sails round-trips out of Vancouver?

Just pulling a guess out of the air, Michelle, so please don’t take anything I say as being “in the know” or a solid prediction. ?

The original question was simply what we think the first and last ships to sail would be. I’ll stand by my statement that Ovation will sail Alaska before any Radiance ship; but if they do indeed keep two Radiance ships in service there for round-trip and open-jaw sailings, then it would be a toss-up in my mind for which resumes last.

4 minutes ago, MichelleB1234 said:

Also, Radiance is larger than Rhapsody.

Really? I thought that all Radiance class ships were smaller than Vision class, but maybe I’m thinking of the Voyager class. (that also came out before Radiance class, if I’m remembering right)

I’m honestly not sure if Vision class has any future at this point with Royal. They may well have to sell them off for scrap the way Carnival has done with some of their oldest ships. Radiance class can serve their itineraries just as well, and it gets the oldest ships (besides Empress) off the books.

9 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Just pulling a guess out of the air, Michelle, so please don’t take anything I say as being “in the know” or a solid prediction. ?

The original question was simply what we think the first and last ships to sail would be. I’ll stand by my statement that Ovation will sail Alaska before any Radiance ship; but if they do indeed keep two Radiance ships in service there for round-trip and open-jaw sailings, then it would be a toss-up in my mind for which resumes last.

Really? I thought that all Radiance class ships were smaller than Vision class, but maybe I’m thinking of the Voyager class. (that also came out before Radiance class, if I’m remembering right)

I’m honestly not sure if Vision class has any future at this point with Royal. They may well have to sell them off for scrap the way Carnival has done with some of their oldest ships. Radiance class can serve their itineraries just as well, and it gets the oldest ships (besides Empress) off the books.

Well, you may not be a fortune teller but sounds like intelligent predictions.

56 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I’m honestly not sure if Vision class has any future at this point with Royal.

Nooooo don't say this! Don't put this idea out into the universe lol   Vision's future with Royal needs to last until at least December 2021 once our sailing is complete ?

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Yeah I was going to correct you also lol.. Radiance class is absolutely larger than vision class.. It must of been voyager class you were thinking of.. Voyager class and Radiance class were actually built during the same time period but radiance was made to like you said do different itineraries one specifically being Alaska but still they are larger than vision class ships.. I personally think Vision class ships are done. They are old and probably cost a lot to maintain.. Plus they don't have as nice of a view as radiance class ships do in my opinion of course.. Anyway everything else you said I totally agree with lol. 

11 hours ago, crisgold52 said:

I am booked for a 3-nighter in mid-NOV out of Port Canaveral which at this point has literally a 10% chance of going out due to the cases down there and risk assumptions if the three players want to assume that risk. But as I've said all along, I feel that the 2020 season is done. ...

1-2 months ago, these are the ones that I thought would start up.  We had 4 night Mariner end of August and back then, which wasn't so long ago, I thought perhaps it was a go (ignoring the fact that the border was closed).  But now, no idea.  I agree that no ships will be running in 2020 ....and I am even doubting our next 7 night booking in March out of Port Canaveral.

I actually have no idea what will start up first.  Perhaps our Aug 2021 has a chance as it's a 5 night out of New Jersey. Before, NJ was worse off, but not it's more control than Florida.  Am thinking the newer or amped ships before the older ones.  But then again, it might depend on what ports are up and running and Radiance class, etc can go to ports the larger ships can't.

@Jill, I was adamant I was not booking another sailing until next year, then I listened to Carnival CEO Arnold Donald. So eloquent, so put together, so serious, he has had it. That coupled with our going back to school and yes cases going down, and finally the health panel NCL and RCCL I called MEI and placed a hold on a cabin this Thanksgiving with some FCC I'm expecting any minute now. I was possessed by the I need to sail gremlins.....mind you, I had it I was positive i was not booking another sailing this year......dumb bad robot GIF

4 minutes ago, Neesa said:

@Jill, I was adamant I was not booking another sailing until next year, then I listened to Carnival CEO Arnold Donald. So eloquent, so put together, so serious, he has had it. That coupled with our going back to school and yes cases going down, and finally the health panel NCL and RCCL I called MEI and placed a hold on a cabin this Thanksgiving with some FCC I'm expecting any minute now. I was possessed by the I need to sail gremlins.....mind you, I had it I was positive i was not booking another sailing this year......dumb bad robot GIF

Mine was a rebook from our canceled May symphony so paid for with FCC. If I had real money to outlay, I’d probably take my refundable deposit and not make final payment. My daughter just sent me this: 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/sns-bb-cruise-ceos-insist-ships-are-safe-20200707-jzrhqem7ijejhcqorgm6fqozqi-story.html

I think the cruise lines are about to create a mutiny! Lol 

23 hours ago, Pooch said:

Ok what is Rhapsody?  Just had my Disney trip blow up because of Governor Numbnuts don’t take my February cruise away too!!!!

Rhapsody I am sorry to say is an Old Vision class ship.. Its small and old so its not looking too good for that boat but hey you never know.. If I were you If you booked a refundable deposit try to move it to one of the bigger newer ships.. 

12 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Don’t want a bigger newer ship!!!  Ok the cruise is a 7 day western Caribbean out of Tampa.  If Rhapsody is out, do you think they’d replace the itinerary with a different ship?

Well I don't know for sure Rhapsody Is out. And if you don't want a bigger or newer ship what would you hope they would replace it with? Also if they continue to leave from Tampa it wouldn't be a bigger or newer ship as only small ships can leave from Tampa because big ships can't fit under the bridge so the biggest ship they could have is a Radiance class ship which is better than Rhapsody but still its on the older side and not very big.. I think you should look into Celebrity.. If you don't want a big ship Celebrity has beautiful smaller ships that aren't as old as Rhapsody.. Any solstice class ship would be nice.. Look for Celebrity Equinox.. It leaves out of Ft. Lauderdale or Miami most of the time and its a great ship.. 

Nobody has mentioned European sailings... no takers for Anthem out of Southampton before she heads back to the U.S. in November?

Whilst the UK Foreign Commonwealth Office has just issued a general advice against cruising it is advisory only, so whilst it may well screw with travel insurance coverage it is not a strict "no sail" order. Also, they have not suggested a time period and the majority of the cruise bloggers from this side of the pond that I have been following seem confident that, provided the ongoing relaxation of the lockdown/travel rules does not result in a second wave, this advice will be amended in a matter or weeks rather than months... I am booked on Anthem for an Oct sailing so REALLY hope they are right!!

8 hours ago, AGSLC5 said:

Well I don't know for sure Rhapsody Is out. And if you don't want a bigger or newer ship what would you hope they would replace it with? Also if they continue to leave from Tampa it wouldn't be a bigger or newer ship as only small ships can leave from Tampa because big ships can't fit under the bridge so the biggest ship they could have is a Radiance class ship which is better than Rhapsody but still its on the older side and not very big.. I think you should look into Celebrity.. If you don't want a big ship Celebrity has beautiful smaller ships that aren't as old as Rhapsody.. Any solstice class ship would be nice.. Look for Celebrity Equinox.. It leaves out of Ft. Lauderdale or Miami most of the time and its a great ship.. 

Not that I want it replaced.  But I want the itinerary.  I like sailing out of Tampa.

Edited to add we’ve sailed Empress (MANY years ago) Majesty and most recently Mariner so really have no experience with bigger newer!

17 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Not that I want it replaced.  But I want the itinerary.  I like sailing out of Tampa.

Edited to add we’ve sailed Empress (MANY years ago) Majesty and most recently Mariner so really have no experience with bigger newer!

You should try an oasis class at least once! ? Just drive over I-4 to Canaveral and come to the dark side. ? I personally love oasis class. Central Park is amazing as well as aqua theater. It’s an experience for sure. 

Retiring in 6 months.  I plan to try them all! I did like sailing out of PC too.  Easy and convenient.  I am taking baby steps here.  We are taking our adult offspring in Feb to celebrate my retirement and I like our ports.  Next up will be ABC islands which will have to be a bigger ship?  And then a cruisetour to Alaska although I am looking at Princess (shhh don’t tell anyone) for that.

3 hours ago, Ian T said:

Nobody has mentioned European sailings... no takers for Anthem out of Southampton before she heads back to the U.S. in November?

Whilst the UK Foreign Commonwealth Office has just issued a general advice against cruising it is advisory only, so whilst it may well screw with travel insurance coverage it is not a strict "no sail" order. Also, they have not suggested a time period and the majority of the cruise bloggers from this side of the pond that I have been following seem confident that, provided the ongoing relaxation of the lockdown/travel rules does not result in a second wave, this advice will be amended in a matter or weeks rather than months... I am booked on Anthem for an Oct sailing so REALLY hope they are right!!

I was booked (not anymore) on the Allure TA on Nov 1st  from Barcelona to Miami.  Florida, in general, doesn't seem like they will be ready to go anytime soon. 

As for the Nov 1st Anthem TA from Southampton --- New York is looking better but I doubt they will welcome cruise ships anytime soon.  New York and New Jersey have mandatory 14 day quarantines for citizens coming from 26 states including my own state.  If I was on that ship, I would likely fly out of Newark going to London.   I wonder if I would face 14 day quarantines coming and going!  Perhaps a quarantine in the UK as well.

I think it is totally possible that the first Port in the US will be Port Liberty. With Fla and Texas are seeing a large spikes in cases, it would seem if NY/NJ cases remain as they are now it would be a cautious bet. If that is the case I think it would either be Oasis Or Anthem depending on the re sail date.

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

But a western Itinerary is extremely easy to get. You don't have to leave from Tampa to get that and you can go on an Oasis class ship and also get that Itinerary plus the shows are so much better, the food is so much better, so many more things to do, a newer bigger ship is just all around so much better. I go on a Family cruise every year.. We are 15 people and our ages range from 16-80.. We find an Oasis class ship makes everyone happy including the people in their 70's and 80's. I cant force you to change but if it were me I would switch to Port Canaveral and get on the Oasis class ship and just look for the week where they do the western itinerary. It should go to 2 places in Mexico, Roatan, and perfect day coco cay. Like I said just a suggestion but that's what I would be doing. 

54 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

I wonder if I would face 14 day quarantines coming and going!  Perhaps a quarantine in the UK as well.

Yes you would! Or maybe you dont! 

As our prime minister said " stay at home! If you can work from home then do so but if you cant then go to work! But stay at home! If you must go to work dont use public transport unless you have to! But really stay at home unless you cant and if you cant dont travel further than 5 miles unless its necessary" 

The above will confuse you as it has us, there are quarantine rules in place but not sure what happens if you fly in on day of cruise instead of a day or 2 before 

23 minutes ago, Ray said:

there are quarantine rules in place but not sure what happens if you fly in on day of cruise instead of a day or 2 before 

I was thinking of a military style parachute jump landing on the pool deck of the ship.  I did that a few times in Holland but never did land in the target area.

1 hour ago, crisgold52 said:

As a Canadian looking in it's very interesting to see how mitigation is going in many parts of Asia where it's the cultural norm to distance and mask up. It seems all asian countries mitigate better than those with western governments. Look how well Japan and South Korea and Vietnam and Singapore have done.  

Singapore did have a 2nd spike but this was down to oversees workers returning home. 

A lot of these Asian countries went into a complete lockdown( no one in or out ) but life went on as normal within their countries. Western world said the right things but didnt follow through with them, in my opinion that was down to fear of upsetting the locals! 

In the west the only time someone wore a mask when entering a shop was if they were going to rob it! Now its compulsory in many countries and those that ridiculed the idea are now seeing it maybe the right thing to do to help reduce the spread of covid.

On the brightside at least we can also look forward to the bubonic plaque and the new strain of swine flu thats emerged in China these last couple of weeks ?????

5 hours ago, AGSLC5 said:

But a western Itinerary is extremely easy to get. You don't have to leave from Tampa to get that and you can go on an Oasis class ship and also get that Itinerary plus the shows are so much better, the food is so much better, so many more things to do, a newer bigger ship is just all around so much better. I go on a Family cruise every year.. We are 15 people and our ages range from 16-80.. We find an Oasis class ship makes everyone happy including the people in their 70's and 80's. I cant force you to change but if it were me I would switch to Port Canaveral and get on the Oasis class ship and just look for the week where they do the western itinerary. It should go to 2 places in Mexico, Roatan, and perfect day coco cay. Like I said just a suggestion but that's what I would be doing. 

We are going to Key West, Cozumel, Costa Maya and Grand Caymans.  Hope it goes as planned but will keep your suggestion in mind if it doesn’t. Thanks

2 hours ago, Pooch said:

We are going to Key West, Cozumel, Costa Maya and Grand Caymans.  Hope it goes as planned but will keep your suggestion in mind if it doesn’t. Thanks

Celebrity does this exact itinerary.. So here is the thing about Key West.. Only small ships can dock there. Also Grand Cayman is a tender port so again smaller ships.. I would absolutely look into Celebrity Equinox and see if it is doing this Itinerary.. It leaves from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale but its a much nicer ship than Rhapsody.. Its a small ship but its newer and has a much higher chance to sail because its one of Celebrities newest ships.. 

Already booked on Rhapsody in an owners suite.  Really just hoping we go as planned.  I’ve nosed around the Celebrity site, admittedly not much but Celebrity looks much more expensive.

Really I appreciate your input but not looking for other ideas at the moment.  I will check back with you if my cruise gets cancelled and I can get my deposit back.

56 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Already booked on Rhapsody in an owners suite.  Really just hoping we go as planned.  I’ve nosed around the Celebrity site, admittedly not much but Celebrity looks much more expensive.

Really I appreciate your input but not looking for other ideas at the moment.  I will check back with you if my cruise gets cancelled and I can get my deposit back.

No problem. I hope your cruise goes as planned. An Owner's suite sounds wonderful. Enjoy!