Where is the Adventure of the Seas today

The Empress of the Seas last week was also missing from tracking for about two days. I believe maybe a issue in the free system available to the public. These ships never really disappeared, always tracked  but the system we see and the full tracking system is different.  

Position Received: 5 min ago (2016-06-03 00:35 UTC)
Vessel's Local Time: 2016-06-02 20:35 (UTC -4)
OmrÃ¥de: NCSA - North Coast South Am
Latitud / Longitud: 12.94233° / -69.97366°

Read more at http://www.marinetraffic.com/se/ais/details/ships/shipid:374485/mmsi:311263000/imo:9167227/vessel:ADVENTURE_OF_THE_SEAS#RXts7MJogvXjiS96.99

What we see if tracking via internet relay stations with AIS receivers.  If the ships aren't within a couple hundred miles (depending on conditions) of a relay station, we won't see it on the various tracking sites.

I'm actually planning on bringing a Raspberry Pi and SDR (software defined receiver) to act as a relay while we're at sea on future cruises.  This will provide data to those online, but also means I'll be able to see our information, and that of vessels around us when not near relays.  This sometimes happens in poor weather (poor radio performance) near Cuba, as there don't seem to be relay stations there, also of course, when not near land.

edit: I should add, there are satellite-based AIS systems that communicate this data, and you can access it, but it costs quite a bit to get access

I'm actually planning on bringing a Raspberry Pi and SDR (software defined receiver) to act as a relay while we're at sea on future cruises.  This will provide data to those online, but also means I'll be able to see our information, and that of vessels around us when not near relays.  This sometimes happens in poor weather (poor radio performance) near Cuba, as there don't seem to be relay stations there, also of course, when not near land.

"Back in the day" I used to track aircraft using a receiver, RS-232 interface, and some software; I think they were ADS-B packets but it was a long time ago.  'Ship spotting' via radio sounds more interesting to me.  When I get my antenna high enough I can receive signals from the Great Lakes (Michigan and Huron) - do they use this when sailing in fresh water as well?

"Back in the day" I used to track aircraft using a receiver, RS-232 interface, and some software; I think they were ADS-B packets but it was a long time ago.  'Ship spotting' via radio sounds more interesting to me.  When I get my antenna high enough I can receive signals from the Great Lakes (Michigan and Huron) - do they use this when sailing in fresh water as well?

They do.  The USCG patrols and governs US interests in the ocean, as well as the Great Lakes, and certain major rivers.  For this reason and others, frequently, things that apply operating craft in the open water also apply to the Great Lakes.  Also, why re-invent the wheel?

Last report:

Jun 04, 2016 13:25 UTC

Ship type:

Passenger (Cruise) Ship

Flag:

bs.png Bahamas

Destination:

ST MAARTEN

ETA:

Jun 05, 11:15

Lat/Lon:

18.45967 N/66.10033 W