Navigator vs. Independence of the Seas

Okay, because I'm psychotic and enjoy thinking about and planning trips almost as much as I enjoy traveling, I'm already thinking of a short getaway for Easter Break 2022.  Saw two cruises with the exact same itineraries for exactly the same price that fit the time window, one out of Port Canaveral and one out of Ft. Lauderdale.  Both generally cost me about the same to get to from Philadelphia or Newark, so no real difference there.  So the only difference seems to be, one is on Navigator and one is on Indy.  I suppose I should mention that we'll be traveling as a family: me, my wife and my two sons, 10 & 7 at that point.  We'd probably stay in connecting interior rooms unless there was some great deal available for another class cabin.  So, with all that said, what are my fellow experienced cruisers' thoughts on the two?  Prefer one to another? Figured I'd might as well tap in to the experience since I can!  TIA!

The ships designs are so similar, Indy is a touch bigger which would lean me that direction (especially with the hot tubs that hang over edge a bit). Although, full disclosure, I've sailed Voyager class (Adventure and Explorer) but not Navigator, so I'd personally consider her just for the different ship factor... But, like Freedom Class slightly more.

Freedom class is a stretched version of Voyager class, Voyager Plus is more like it.  

The extra section midship affords another pool on the pool deck and more space on the Promenade so there is a dedicated Sorrento's pizza on Indy plus more cabins on Indy so more people on Indy.  Other than that the layout of the ships is nearly identical (minus the extra section in the middle that Indy has).

Some of the minor difference include things different water slides, Skypad on Indy, a different Playmakers location.  Some of the specialty dining options are different between ships.  Navigator received her amplification well after Indy so it was more transformational.  Navigator has the resort style pool upgrade.

The truth is both are great ships.  For me Voyager class is a favorite.  They are large ships but not mega size (at one time they were the largest cruise ships in the world).  Of the amplifications that have been completed the one Navigator received was the most impactful in my opinion.  They learned a lot with each prior amplification and they knocked it out of the park on Navigator.  Plus the ice skating show on Navigator starts with drones and drones are cool so there is that too.  

11 hours ago, crisgold52 said:

Is 2021 not a go?

Already have what was supposed to be my August 2020 cruise Lifted and Shifted to 2021, and finances allow me a cruise a year at most, so already thinking '22! ?

11 hours ago, twangster said:

For me Voyager class is a favorite.  They are large ships but not mega size (at one time they were the largest cruise ships in the world).

The last cruise I was on was on Mariner, and the Voyager class was currently the largest class passenger ship at sea (I was also on Adventure and Voyager).  I remember thinking at the time that I could not imagine there being a larger cruise ship.  Swing and a miss there!

11 hours ago, twangster said:

Plus the ice skating show on Navigator starts with drones and drones are cool so there is that too. 

As a Muse fan, I can not argue this point!

Many thanks to you, @crisgold52, @sk8erguy1978 and @twangster! Sounds like this may just come down to what interesting pricing option Kathy at MEI can whip up, as I can't go wrong either way.

I didn't sail Indy until well after her amplification and I didn't do a trip report on that occasion. 

I did sail Navigator on her first cruise coming out of amplification and have sailed her again since.  I went overboard with Navigator photos in this trip report:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/11143-navigator-mar-1-2019-9-nights-southern-caribbean/

This isn't entirely fair to Indy since she is in great shape with her amplification but having said that the amplification of Navigation was more complete touching more areas including cabins.

My only beef with Navigator is the 3/4 night Bahamas itinerary they stuck her on.  I was lucky enough above to sail her 9 nights to the ABCs.  

37 minutes ago, twangster said:

My only beef with Navigator is the 3/4 night Bahamas itinerary they stuck her on.  I was lucky enough above to sail her 9 nights to the ABCs.  

I completely agree with you on this.  I understand why they did it (attracting new cruisers with a WOW experience) but it is NOT worth it to me to fly for a 3 or 4 night cruise.  That is why I will never do NAV unless it can be at LEAST a B2B.  I hate that they charge such a premium for the drinks package on those shorter cruises, too.

We've been on both (although our kids were just on Navigator) and loved both.

Independence has Sky Pad (lots of fun for kids) a separate kids pool/slide area (but your kids might be too big for that) and the regular waterslides, which our kids loved.  Personal preference, but I preferred Indy's production shows over Navigator...which included Grease and Once Upon a Time.  

Navigator has the unique slides which are a ton of fun. The only downside is the one with the raft can get long lines and we saw it get stuck the odd time (but nothing to worry about...you might just have a wait).  Navigator main pool is really nice and they had some really nice changes done such as hammocks all around and different pool area seating and bright and colourful.  Navigator also has a really great ice show.

Both have Laser Tag, Rock Wall, Mini Golf, Flowrider, Sports Court...so tons to do.

I don't even know which one I liked better....you certainly can't go wrong with either. 

Call me biased but Indy is my favorite... Huge but friendly... When on other ships in ports where she was it "seemed" people just were having a better time  on her than the ships I was on. Finally booked her and never looked back... To be fair I have not done the Navigator... 

• 2 weeks later...

Funny I have had back and forth conversations (with myself mostly) trying to decide which ship would be best for my family of 13 (8 adults, 5 children).  We were booked for April 2020 and you all know what happened with that!  So we are now doing (well I certainly HOPE we are!!) the April 2021 cruise...and I opted for the Navigator because of the kids.  I think the slides on Navigator will be much more in tune with what the kids enjoy (especially being able to slide 2 at a time).  I had to set aside my adult "wants" because truly this vacation is more for the kids (who happen to be my grandkids).  In all the reviews I looked at...the Navigator just screamed "kids"...I wasn't getting that from the Indy (except for the candy store on the Promenade).

Guess I'll find out...and I hope you feel good about whatever choice you make!   Happy Sailing!!!

2 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Guess I'll find out...and I hope you feel good about whatever choice you make!   Happy Sailing!!!

I've done that back and forth and over analyzing ships so I get it.  

Truth is your family would have an awesome cruise on either ship, leaving the other ship for the next awesome cruise adventure.  

7 hours ago, crisgold52 said:

I would imagine Navigator and Mariner are very similar and I've ever only gone on Mariner. I was supposed to be on the Independence but that got cancelled this year so in the end after several re-bookings I am no longer on that.

True that Navigator and Mariner are same class and same size.  I guess I lump Mariner and Independence together as they both have the same layout on deck 13 aft with the flowrider, waterslide (and same type), SkyPad, Sky Climber, and sports court / rock wall.  Navigator in this section was different due to the different slides (but you still have the rock wall and sports court in similar spot) .  But yes, Indy is bigger with the additional kids splash area, Sorrentos and bit of a longer promenade, etc.  Really, all 3 ships are very similar.  I often find when you are on a Royal ship, it doesn't take long to get used to another one as lots of things are similar among them .