RCL to Resume Cruising 9/16

2 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I live in Chicago and have been to London, crime is quite arbitrary. You could easily end up on a ship with someone who goes crazy and stabs people when they see a man in a speedo. Just like you can walk down any "crime ridden" neighborhood and see children playing. Cruising can be safe with honest protocols. I have no reason to believe the ban will be extended, if the CDC intended to do so they would have already done it.

I’m not sure of the timeline, but was the September 15th date set before or after the current surges?

2 hours ago, Mrs. Thomas said:

Same. I'm hesitant to rebook my extras for my Oct. sailing. I may just sit on the money until closer to sailing. It may cost more if we do get to go, but then I won't have to worry about waiting on refunds again.

That is probably a smart move.  We haven't booked our airfare to Florida yet.  The current state of the virus down there is whole other issue.

@PG Cruiser The CLIA voluntarily extended the no sail in the midst of rising cases. With so many countries and ports already closed, I cannot see the CDC extending the ban. Cruising is going to be very limited and controlled. Unlike restaurants and bars that don't do temp checks or anything in regards to safety. Cruises can test beforehand and eliminate exposure.

@TempoGL @Ray I saw a documentary about all of the crime in Britain, not just London. I wasn't just talking about violent crime. Basically, if you want to be robbed then London is the place to go. Even with the 2 million+ cameras they have, there isn't much the police actually do. That's a lot of money to spend to go somewhere just to be pick-pocketed. However, I'm not planning a trip to any major US cities either, especially right now with a lot of people acting crazy. I'm not naïve. Right now, going to grocery store without my kids is as close to a vacation as I can get. :4_joy:

2 minutes ago, crisgold52 said:

Lots of asymptomatic folks. 

This is a general question, not necessarily towards you. But, how do we know that there are lots of asymptomatic people? If a person doesn't have symptoms and doesn't know they are sick, then they are most likely NOT going to be tested. How do we know how many people are actually NOT sick but everyone thinks they are because they don't have symptoms? I'm not trying to make people scared of everyone. I know people can be asymptomatic of many things like strep or the flu as well. I think I may be of strep as my family gets it but I never seem to. What if the majority of people AREN'T asymptomatic and everyone is getting sick from people in the 2 week gestation period? That whole gestation period makes me wonder how well taking a temp before boarding helps. A person could be within that 2 weeks and not know it and not show signs for DAYS after their cruise.

2 hours ago, Mrs. Thomas said:

@TempoGL @Ray I saw a documentary about all of the crime in Britain, not just London. I wasn't just talking about violent crime. Basically, if you want to be robbed then London is the place to go. Even with the 2 million+ 

less than 800,000 cctv cameras in london as of 2020.

Also i watched a news report last week where Donald said that the telephone was invented by America ?? pretty sure Alexander Graham bell was Scottish 

Also watched the film U571 where it was made out that America got the Egnima code machine in WW2, 

So Just because we read or watch something doesnt mean its true. Who wants to watch a show where everything is good? Glorify the bad get people talking ( a bit like the documentary here last week about cruise industry being responsible for covid! And yes the Miami Herald was involved in the show ) 

There are far worse places than london to get robbed! Paris, Barcelona, Detroit, New York, Rio, my kitchen when i leave my wallet lying about...

Ps being scottish i cannot believe im actually defending a place i dont actually like! but i believe people should not make judgement on something unless they have true facts or sampled it themselves.

9 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Just had my hopes of a Disney vacation 9/7 to 9/12 crushed when the Gov of Florida extended the 14 day quarantine on travelers from the Tri-state area (I’m in CT).  I am hanging on to our February cruise with my fingernails!!!  Please, I need a vacation!!!

It's interesting that a state with one of the highest recent rates of infection is still quarantining people from an area that is one of the few that is trending positively on covid infection rates

@Ray So big lover of Scotland, want to retire there right in Aberdeen as I like the people. I was in Scotland in 2017, my grandmother had heard on a random news report that drugs had taken over and she warned me as a single woman to be extra careful. I was in Edinburgh and feel like I could walk the entire city. Went to a comedy club at 11pm and walked back to my hotel at almost 3am, saw a few youths smoking and that was it.

Was in the Sistine Chapel at 11am for a tour and watched a young man pick several peoples pockets before a person caught on. I tried to warn but I speak English fluidly and other languages just as greetings. Also might I say I leave my purse and plenty money about in my house, other than maybe the cat getting a good meal, its still there. You need to report your family to the police or at least get them some physiological help.

4 hours ago, Mrs. Thomas said:

This is a general question, not necessarily towards you. But, how do we know that there are lots of asymptomatic people? If a person doesn't have symptoms and doesn't know they are sick, then they are most likely NOT going to be tested. How do we know how many people are actually NOT sick but everyone thinks they are because they don't have symptoms? I'm not trying to make people scared of everyone. I know people can be asymptomatic of many things like strep or the flu as well. I think I may be of strep as my family gets it but I never seem to. What if the majority of people AREN'T asymptomatic and everyone is getting sick from people in the 2 week gestation period? That whole gestation period makes me wonder how well taking a temp before boarding helps. A person could be within that 2 weeks and not know it and not show signs for DAYS after their cruise.

If you get a covid antibody test and the results are positive that you have the antibodies for covid and you can't remember the last time you even coughed, then you are one of the vast majority of the population who had it, beat it and didn't know it.

5 hours ago, Mrs. Thomas said:

@TempoGL @Ray I saw a documentary about all of the crime in Britain, not just London. I wasn't just talking about violent crime. Basically, if you want to be robbed then London is the place to go. Even with the 2 million+ cameras they have, there isn't much the police actually do. That's a lot of money to spend to go somewhere just to be pick-pocketed. However, I'm not planning a trip to any major US cities either, especially right now with a lot of people acting crazy. I'm not naïve. Right now, going to grocery store without my kids is as close to a vacation as I can get. :4_joy:

Robbery is typically considered a violent crime. Pick pocketing is theft. They are quite different.

1 hour ago, USFFrank said:

If you get a covid antibody test and the results are positive that you have the antibodies for covid and you can't remember the last time you even coughed, then you are one of the vast majority of the population who had it, beat it and didn't know it.

Everyone is going to get it.  Just a matter of time.   Do you pull off bandaids fast or slow?

17 hours ago, Ray said:

less than 800,000 cctv cameras in london as of 2020.

Also i watched a news report last week where Donald said that the telephone was invented by America ?? pretty sure Alexander Graham bell was Scottish 

The cameras thing about all of Britain and not just London, that was my oversight with how it was worded. The idea that the telephone is an American invention is because Bell was working in Boston when he developed and applied for the patents for it. Yes he was Scottish, but he lived in Canada too, so who actually gets the claim? I say Bell and not the countries. :147_information_desk_person:The documentary I watched was actual CCTV footage and was more of a TV series than just a movie. Like I said though, I'm not heading out to big US cities either, especially right now.

15 hours ago, USFFrank said:

But why would a person get a test if they don't think they ever got sick? Those who may be or have been asymptomatic will likely never get a test. I personally wouldn't get one because I wouldn't want to add to the positive test numbers for something I no longer have. That's just me.

@cruisellama depends on where the band-aid is LOL

@crisgold52 What you described is part of my problem with the whole asymptomatic idea. Everyone goes around looking at everyone like typhoid Mary. It reminds me of the "red scare" in the 50's. No one trusted anyone else. It is causing division between people. No one wants to go near anyone else and normal courtesies are abandoned. Heck, you can't even smile at anyone because of wearing a mask and if you try you just look like you're squinting. LOL I understand the why (mostly) but that doesn't mean I have to like it. If we look at how many people are asymptomatic to the flu (and I use it because it is the closest thing we have to COVID at the moment) and use that data for this, then you could say that up to 20% of people are asymptomatic to COVID as well. On a ship that has 4000 passengers and 1000 crew, for a total of 5000 people, 1000 of them would be asymptomatic. That sounds like a lot of people and it is. However, according to world wide statistics of how many people have gotten sick verses total population, 500 people on board will have already gotten sick and recovered. A hundred of those people will have been asymptomatic. So, we all know that stats aren't perfect because there are other variables, like how safe were the people before boarding etc. However, we can use it to say that we have more of a chance of getting if from someone who is in the incubation period than a person who is asymptomatic. Every cruise is at your own risk, always has been. Everyone also needs to understand that this virus isn't going away ever. We need to learn how to live with it as people in the early 1900s did with the flu. We washy-washy, don't kiss strangers or lick doorknobs and do our best to keep being kind to people because the effects of this thing is starting to do more than just physical or financial damage.

20 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

@Ray , my grandmother had heard on a random news report that drugs had taken over and she warned me as a single woman to be extra careful. 

This is true! 

Cocaine is a big problem in Scotland Even small fishing towns have BIG drug problems due to people having money to waste! 

Hmmmm......I guess maybe because I am germaphobic I see things differently. I believe we should always be distrustful of people because in my experience they are always self-serving and rarely good. Yes, cruises are normally social but we have to make concessions, it is going to be the new normal. We need to let go of what we used to do and think about what we can do now. That is the problem: people are insane, they want to do the same things over and over, yet expect different results. I think people should take all reports with a grain of salt and apply some critical thinking. We know COVID is airborne and that 20% of people show no symptoms. Herd immunity isn't happening and antibodies don't last long. Vaccines aren't for everyone and may or may not work. So, social distancing and mask help to curb infections and protect better than doing nothing. Who cares if a stranger can't see me smile, at least I am up walking about a cruise ship, enjoying my pina coloda...opposed to struggling to breath.