Cozumel

KBugNC

It seems that so many of the excursions for the underground rivers, caves and cenote visits are 8 around hours. Is this because they are so far away from the cruise port? They look really neat but I don't want to spend a lot of time on a bus to get there and back.

On 7/6/2020 at 11:27 AM, KBugNC said:

It seems that so many of the excursions for the underground rivers, caves and cenote visits are 8 around hours. Is this because they are so far away from the cruise port? They look really neat but I don't want to spend a lot of time on a bus to get there and back.

While the boat ride is bumpy (I get a little queasy but never lose my breakfast), it is worth it for some excursions.  We loved the Amazing Secret River, for example (you hike/swim through a cave system), and I know nothing like it in the states.  But I wouldn't take the shuttle just to go shopping or snorkeling,  which you can do in Cozumel.

4 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

While the boat ride is bumpy (I get a little queasy but never lose my breakfast), it is worth it for some excursions.  We loved the Amazing Secret River, for example (you hike/swim through a cave system), and I know nothing like it in the states.  But I wouldn't take the shuttle just to go shopping or snorkeling,  which you can do in Cozumel.

How long are the rides? The secret River does look amazing!

On 7/6/2020 at 10:27 AM, KBugNC said:

We really enjoyed the Secret Underground River at Playa de Maya.   It can be somewhat physical.  You wear a wet suit and walk/float through underground caves.  Not for the claustrophobic but a really neat experience.  Finishes up with a nice lunch. Will need to take a ferry (fine as long as the water is smooth) and a van ride to the site.

• 3 weeks later...

The bus rides depend on where your excursion is located. For example, the bus ride to Tulum was 60-90 minutes; when we did a Cenote excursion the bus ride was approximately 40 minutes. I highly recommend Dramamine prior to the ferry ride from Cozumel to the mainland. Even people who don't usually get seasick can have issues on the ferry. ?

• 2 weeks later...

I am probably one of the few who could probably hop off the dock and be at my excursion point.  In fact after dragging my gear into the port area I met up with the operator and filled out some papers and then hopped on their boat to head to the shop, then got back on that boat to go hit the water.  Drift diving is the easiest excursion you can do outside of walking into town and laying on the beach.  The only bad thing is you have to have your certification before you go though it is a pretty exclusive group.  Out of the 3000 or so people on the ship (Liberty of the Seas) I think we had 18 on the excursion.