What do I need to know about booking connecting rooms?

Plan is for my wife and one son to be booked in first room, and I and my other son booked in the connecting room. Planning a 3 nighter out of Port Canaveral in Aug 2021.  Would like to actually have my wife and I stay in 1 room and our boys stay in the other. Is this doable? What hurdles will we run into (ie beverage packages, OBC, etc)? Note: boys will be 14 and 8 at time of travel. 

2 minutes ago, Mikeb1892 said:

Plan is for my wife and one son to be booked in first room, and I and my other son booked in the connecting room. Planning a 3 nighter out of Port Canaveral in Aug 2021.  Would like to actually have my wife and I stay in 1 room and our boys stay in the other. Is this doable? What hurdles will we run into (ie beverage packages, OBC, etc)? Note: boys will be 14 and 8 at time of travel. 

This is absolutely doable and is a very wise plan.  When you book 1 adult in each room, you will not both be required to purchase the DBP, if that is your wish.  That is a great way to work it when 1 adult wants the package but the other one does not.  You will be able to get extra keys made at Guest Services so that both adults can access both rooms.  If 1 credit card is paying the seapass bill on both rooms anyway, then you will have no problem with charges.  In most cases you can have the OBC distributed between 2 rooms but not sure that's even an issue if 1 person is paying the overall bill in the end.

1 minute ago, KJones said:

Since you have an adult booked in each room, I think you might also be able to get away with bringing  2 bottles of wine per stateroom, for a total of 4 bottles.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong ?

Correct.  Wine count is based on cabin, not the number of adults in the cabin.  As a solo I can board with two bottles for my cabin.  

4 minutes ago, Mikeb1892 said:

How will the room attendant feel if we ask for one king in one room amd two twins in the other? Will they know what were doing? Will it matter?

The room attendant will be happy to setup one room with a king and the other room two twin.

Our family of 4 almost always book connecting rooms.

I book my wife and son in one room, and myself and my daughter in the other room.

We also do this for the drink package.  My wife barely drinks so I can get the package and she isn't required to.

We link both rooms to the same credit card so any OBC and all purchases get combined together.

Two connecting rooms are great.  You'll never go back.

Just shows how different peoples upbringings can be.  PLEASE don’t misunderstand, I am not in any way criticizing here.  We grew up in a 5 room apartment. My brother and I slept in the same room til he went to college and even though we moved into my grandmothers house with more bedrooms later, when he came home for a visit he still slept in my room so we could talk all night, didn’t even think about the fact he could sleep in another room now.

vacationing with our kids, it would never even have occurred to me to get 2 room.  The room slept 4 and that’s how many we were.  Our last family trip, daughter was 24 and son was 19, still one room.  Yes I am “frugal” but it truly never occurred to me!  Taking them both on my retirement celebration cruise in Feb and, you guessed it, one room!  Ok it’s an OS but still just one room.  
Looking back, maybe that extra bathroom would have been nice.

Hope you have a great cruise!!

26 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Just shows how different peoples upbringings can be.  PLEASE don’t misunderstand, I am not in any way criticizing here.  We grew up in a 5 room apartment. My brother and I slept in the same room til he went to college and even though we moved into my grandmothers house with more bedrooms later, when he came home for a visit he still slept in my room so we could talk all night, didn’t even think about the fact he could sleep in another room now.

vacationing with our kids, it would never even have occurred to me to get 2 room.  The room slept 4 and that’s how many we were.  Our last family trip, daughter was 24 and son was 19, still one room.  Yes I am “frugal” but it truly never occurred to me!  Taking them both on my retirement celebration cruise in Feb and, you guessed it, one room!  Ok it’s an OS but still just one room.  
Looking back, maybe that extra bathroom would have been nice.

Hope you have a great cruise!!

I don't think you're criticizing at all and I appreciate your experiences. We were all set to book one room but when I did the pricing it was actually cheaper to book 2 connecting rooms than it would have been for the 4 of us in one room. Factor that with the added bathroom and extra space and it was a no brainer. 

2 hours ago, Pooch said:

vacationing with our kids, it would never even have occurred to me to get 2 room.  

You're right, and for most people they never consider it. Heck, in the beginning I did't either.

I don't think getting 2 rooms instead of one for a family of 4 is something most people consider, regardless of upbringing.  We're all conditioned to book one room at hotels because, among other reasons, 2 rooms is too expensive (double the cost).

On Royal Caribbean, there are lots of times two rooms makes sense because it can often be the same price as one larger room.