Cape Liberty 2020 Sailings

Obviously nothing has been confirmed. Your guess is as good as mine, but what I do know is that Oasis is scheduled for her last 2020 sailing out of Cape Liberty on 10/25/20... she is scheduled to sail out of Ft. Lauderdale on 11/04/20 (4-night short cruise). Anthem (8 & 12-night) and Adventure (11-night) are not scheduled to return to Cape Liberty until NOV (post recent cancellations).

The earliest they can resume sailing is 9/16/20, but who knows if the CDC, NY & NJ, etc., will green light the re-opening of the ports. My gut is leaning toward a cancellation of the rest of 2020 in Cape Liberty, but that's only my opinion (and hopefully I'm dead wrong!). Canada and Bermuda sailings have already been suspended through 10/31/20 and are no longer on the schedule.

Sorry to be a Negative Nellie, but I think Cape Liberty is not seeing a single cruise departure this year. The governors of NY and NJ have basically said that indoor dining is shut down again, no indoor gatherings really authorized for the foreseeable future. What with cruise ships having all dining indoors (except for the small outdoor area on Anthem's WJ, and some outdoor seating for the specialty venues on the Central Park deck of Oasis), I'm assuming they'll be blocked just on those grounds alone.

2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Sorry to be a Negative Nellie, but I think Cape Liberty is not seeing a single cruise departure this year. The governors of NY and NJ have basically said that indoor dining is shut down again, no indoor gatherings really authorized for the foreseeable future. What with cruise ships having all dining indoors (except for the small outdoor area on Anthem's WJ, and some outdoor seating for the specialty venues on the Central Park deck of Oasis), I'm assuming they'll be blocked just on those grounds alone.

I agree... Although certainly not directly related, it's also not a good sign that Broadway has extended their suspension of all shows until at least 1/3/21... https://www.playbill.com/article/check-the-statuses-of-broadway-shows-during-the-coronavirus-shutdown

11 minutes ago, JohnK6404 said:

I agree... Although certainly not directly related, it's also not a good sign that Broadway has extended their suspension of all shows until at least 1/3/21... https://www.playbill.com/article/check-the-statuses-of-broadway-shows-during-the-coronavirus-shutdown

So sad. I don't know when I'm going back into the office. We were told definitely not until after Labor Day. I kinda miss NYC a little. A little. Not a lot.

I'm in the process of doing a Lift & Sift of Anthem from this Dec to next Dec.  A month or two ago,  I had hope it would run.  However now, my thoughts have changed as nothing has started up as of Sept, crew isn't there, no new procedures announced, covid cases are pretty high, borders are still closed (criteria for us), etc etc.  My personal opinion, but it's not looking too good.

Thank so very much to everyone for your very helpful feedback (I was afraid this would be the potential answer from everyone).  I love sailing with Royal Caribbean so I was really looking forward to my upcoming back to back trips in 2020 (so sad for The Royal Caribbean team and all of us - their loyal cruisers and fans).

46 minutes ago, Jzx1103 said:

To be honest, the script has flipped and currently New York/New Jersey area is doing better than Florida/Texas. I'm sure if Cape Liberty can't sail, neither can Florida or Galveston 

I don't think the fact that just because there won't be any Cape Liberty sailings means there won't be sailings out of Florida and Texas in 2020.  I don't want to get into a political discussion but the philosophies regarding reopening are different in Florida and Texas than in NY.

Plus, Florida's economy is more tied to cruising than NY for sure.  Also, we still have several more months to go.  I hope the situation with Covid improves.

At this point I would feel safer leaving from Port Liberty than Fla. Fla cases going way up, NY/NJ steady now, don´t know for how long though. All is complete supposition now, all you can do is sit back and wait to see what unfolds. I am sure as soon as RCCL has figured out what the window for sailing is they WILL let us all know. I think they are doing the best they can under the circumstances. We all want to get back to sailing asap, I am sure they feel the same.

18 hours ago, MichelleB1234 said:

the philosophies regarding reopening are different in Florida and Texas than in NY.

The thing is Cape Liberty is not in NY, it actually is in Bayonne, NJ.  NCL sails out of NY.  NJ governor has been moving along with re-openings.  I believe they moved into Phase 3 this week.  (My family lives in NJ, we live in VA)

31 minutes ago, ellcee said:

At this point, because of proximity, the only place I'd want to leave if cruises resumed this year would be Cape Liberty. Don't know when I'll be comfortable flying again.

This is also one of the reasons I can see RCL opening it up when they come back.  People can easily drive from as far west as OH, as far south as NC and as far North as Maine and do it in 8 hrs of driving.  

Another reason is they have said multiple times that it would be the larger ships that they roll out 1st due to various reasons.  Liberty has both Oasis and Quantum.  Also remember Celebrity sails out of Bayonne too.  

Finally, although you may not feel safe flying, many Europeans like sailing out of Liberty due to its proximity to NYC.  They can fly into Newark and be at the port within 30-45 mins.  You do not have that option if you fly into Texas regarding the distance to the port.

1 minute ago, ehw51 said:

I would take a sail to CoCo Cay even with only 1 day there. Though I think Nassau is a pretty good bet to be open up even to people from the USA. lol

CocoCay is the Bahamas, governed by the laws and ruled by the Bahamas even if it's privately owned.  Until Florida gets its number down the Bahamas will remain closed to Americans.   

4 hours ago, Pima1988 said:

The thing is Cape Liberty is not in NY, it actually is in Bayonne, NJ.  NCL sails out of NY.  NJ governor has been moving along with re-openings.  I believe they moved into Phase 3 this week.  (My family lives in NJ, we live in VA)

Also remember Celebrity sails out of Bayonne too.  

We have a lot that opened today, but they put a pause on indoor dining because of the rise in cases down south. 

Celebrity has no remaining sailings out of Bayonne for 2020.