Should I book non-refundable with FCC?

Hi all,

I normally book refundable fares (like Matt suggests) for the flexibility. I'm looking into booking a cruise using my FCC and I'm wondering if I should book a non-refundable fare instead. It seems like if something happens, I can cancel with the cruise with confidence policy and I would be reissued the FCC, right? Am I missing any fine print? The difference between refundable and non-refundable is ~ $200. 

I think the most important thing to consider is whether your new cruise will be covered by Cruise With Confidence.  There is a finite amount of time that this program is in effect.  If your new cruise falls within the timeline for CWC, then I think you are correct - the premium for refundable deposit is probably not worth it.  IF your new booking falls beyond the deadline for CWC, then you might still want to consider paying the refundable deposit premium.

Thanks, I think the new cruise should be covered by CWC. According to the website: 

That’s why Royal Caribbean will let you cancel any cruise that sets sail from now through April 30, 2022. Whether it’s a booking you already have or one you make right now through August 1, 2020, you’re covered. As long as you cancel at least 48 hours before your sail date, you’ll receive a Future Cruise Credit. The credit is valid to book and sail by December 31st, 2021 or 12 months after the date that you cancelled your original sailing — whichever is further.

I know things have changed and the FCC can now pay for a deposit too. Does anybody have experience on how this works? Do I pay for the deposit with FCC and then they reissue the remaining FCC as a new FCC? Or do I pay it all now with the FCC so I don't need to wait for another FCC? I don't usually make final payment until we're much closer, but it too so long to get this FCC that I wonder if that's a good idea.

@lh193 My understanding is that they apply the FCC you are using to the cruise, if the cruise is less than the FCC, they will reissue a new FCC in the remaining amount after the cruise has commenced. They are not splitting the FCC just to cover deposits, unless that is just the amount of FCC you have. You cannot apply multiple FCC, unless it its Celebrity I believe, so choose which one you use wisely. If the cruise is cancelled, you should be issued a new FCC with an extend expiry date. All of this is based on cruises booked before Aug 1st.