5 in a grand loft suite on Anthem?

I booked a grand loft suite for me, my husband, and my two kids (12 and 7 at time of sailing). While I was dealing with other stuff on the phone with RC today, I asked about the price difference up to royal loft suite because we really wanted to invite our dear friend who’s like an aunt to the kids. When I heard the price I said, ok, never mind! But then the person at RC told me I could add a fifth person to our grand loft suite for only a small additional cost. We know it would mean bed sharing and a rollaway bed for one of my kids. We have all shared a hotel room before (contemporary resort at Disney) and were fine. Does anyone have experience with five in a GLS? Any thoughts of potential issues I’m not thinking about? thanks in advance!

We have done 4..2 parents and 2 adult children.  They use a single rollaway bed and the pull-out couch is a shared double bed.  As long as you have 2 that could handle being on the pull-out couch together I think you'd be fine.  

As for pricing, unless you did a Kids Sail Free promo, the additional cost will be what the cost of the 3rd passenger was to add someone.

There have always just been the 2 of us...but we have stayed in 2 different GLS on Anthem.

Is it possible ?  Yes.  Would it be comfortable ?  Maybe.  There is 1 double sofabed that would probably accommodate your friend and that would mean the kids would have rollaways.  If they are ok with that, it should work.

If you are in 8724 or 8324, I think you would have plenty of room.  If you are in one of the corner GLS I'm not sure.

6 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

There have always just been the 2 of us...but we have stayed in 2 different GLS on Anthem.

Is it possible ?  Yes.  Would it be comfortable ?  Maybe.  There is 1 double sofabed that would probably accommodate your friend and that would mean the kids would have rollaways.  If they are ok with that, it should work.

If you are in 8724 or 8324, I think you would have plenty of room.  If you are in one of the corner GLS I'm not sure.

We’re in 8724. Would they allow two rollaways? 

9 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

We have done 4..2 parents and 2 adult children.  They use a single rollaway bed and the pull-out couch is a shared double bed.  As long as you have 2 that could handle being on the pull-out couch together I think you'd be fine.  

As for pricing, unless you did a Kids Sail Free promo, the additional cost will be what the cost of the 3rd passenger was to add someone.

Yes, they quoted me 30 percent off of the 3rd/4th passenger price, so not a huge amount in the grand scheme of an already crazy expensive vacation! Plus she’d pay her part of the fare. 

1 hour ago, cruisinnewbie said:

But then the person at RC told me I could add a fifth person to our grand loft suite for only a small additional cost.

Before you proceed any further, make sure that you get the verified.  Usually, they will not allow you to book beyond the max capacity of the cabin unless it is for small child who can sleep in a pack and play.

As far as the rollaway goes, in our past experiences, most stateroom attendants are quite accommodating.  You just have to ask, and if there is one available, they will get you one, even if Royal says the room cannot accommodate one.  If you're in Star class, just ask your Genie ahead of time when they contact you to arrange this.

5 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Before you proceed any further, make sure that you get the verified.  Usually, they will not allow you to book beyond the max capacity of the cabin unless it is for small child who can sleep in a pack and play.

I'm a little nervous about this, too - it seemed weird that they suddenly were offering that. That's why I was wondering if anyone else had done 5 in a GLS. I'm finding a lot of my communications with RC a bit confusing!

2 minutes ago, cruisinnewbie said:

I'm a little nervous about this, too - it seemed weird that they suddenly were offering that. That's why I was wondering if anyone else had done 5 in a GLS. I'm finding a lot of my communications with RC a bit confusing!

I was only leery when I read your initial post because lately, most of the phone agents do not know what they are talking about, and they know even less about Star Class.

48 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I was only leery when I read your initial post because lately, most of the phone agents do not know what they are talking about, and they know even less about Star Class.

So I just called back and a second person confirmed that my grand loft suite has the capacity for 5. This is so weird! 

11 minutes ago, cruisinnewbie said:

So I just called back and a second person confirmed that my grand loft suite has the capacity for 5. This is so weird! 

Well then I would say go for it!  As long as whoever gets the cot can handle it for the duration of the cruise.  It's actually fine.  When we travel with our two kids, we always ask for a cot and the kids don't mind it.  Although they did say the star class cot was better than the non-SC ones.  Not sure if that is true.  That was coming from a 10 year old lol.  Or if you ask @CGTLH, he will tell you that no cot is tolerable, SC or not. lol

4 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Well then I would say go for it!  As long as whoever gets the cot can handle it for the duration of the cruise.  It's actually fine.  When we travel with our two kids, we always ask for a cot and the kids don't mind it.  Although they did say the star class cot was better than the non-SC ones.  Not sure if that is true.  That was coming from a 10 year old lol.  Or if you ask @CGTLH, he will tell you that no cot is tolerable, SC or not. lol

I can't believe we're spoiling our kids with star class on their first RC cruise - I don't want to hear any complaining about cots, LOL! Let's be honest, I'm really spoiling myself and giving myself something to look forward to in all of this madness. And anything seems like less money when you break down the payments over 22 months!  "Only" 635 days til we sail... 

Just now, cruisinnewbie said:

I can't believe we're spoiling our kids with star class on their first RC cruise - I don't want to hear any complaining about cots,

Lol!  This is exactly what I tell my kids every cruise.  They are getting a free cruise, zero complaints.  They alternate the cot, so whoever gets the cot on one cruise, get the sofa bed the next.

I know you're comfortable sharing a room, 

2 minutes ago, cruisinnewbie said:

And anything seems like less money when you break down the payments over 22 months! 

Yep. Each check I put money into a Ally savings account JUST for cruises, without using it this year (well, I might have borrowed some for a new grill - IE, not putting my refunded drink packages back into the account) there is MORE than enough to upgrade to a GS with money left over for drink packages and spa treatment for wife.

Hmm never thought about a rollaway.  Would one fit/be available if I asked early and nicely for our OS on Rhapsody?  Sleeping arrangements aren’t really an issue as we have always stayed in one hotel room with our kids.  Son sleeps with the snore king he calls dad & daughter shares with me.  But the extra cot would be a nice option.  Guess I’m emailing my TA!!

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

Hmm never thought about a rollaway.  Would one fit/be available if I asked early and nicely for our OS on Rhapsody?  Sleeping arrangements aren’t really an issue as we have always stayed in one hotel room with our kids.  Son sleeps with the snore king he calls dad & daughter shares with me.  But the extra cot would be a nice option.  Guess I’m emailing my TA!!

Just ask your Concierge for help when he/she contacts you prior to the cruise.  They should be able to take care of that for you

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, Mineobi said:

Did you do this? Any pictures? Comfort of the rollaway?

No, because we didn't have to, our kids still get along.....for now anyway.  Just pointing out there is room/option/ideas.  As for comfort....our 15 yr old says he doesn't like the roll away and prefers the sleeper sofa in terms of overall comfort.