RC to sail w/ passengers on what date?

With this latest cancellation (The Odyssey) RCCL offered a slide so to speak, it said I can take the sailing and apply my monies to another SHIP within a week before, same week or the week after the date scheduled. I looked but then thought, I'm not falling for that one. While I love sailing and am always positive I have little faith now we will be sailing until 2021, just my gut telling me this. I am going to miss sailing Thanksgiving as I look forward to it, but I am requesting a refund. We have too much money tied up in RCCL right now and honestly have little faith in Mr. Fain, it dwindles with every video he does. The cruise lines seem beaten down and don't seem to be fighting for their industry or their people any longer, so sorry....RANT. OVER.

Now that being said if they do sail I will go to the Cocoa Beach area and wave to my lucky fellow cruisers who had more faith then me! I would LOVE to get back to safe & healthy sailing, and we know it can be done. 

This is more difficult than predicting the next number on a roulette wheel, with that said, my random guess ... November 1st, 2020.

It's only July 1st tomorrow, so anything is possible. They really need to treat this on a week by week basis, with decisions made based on scientific facts and right now facts say the US isn't over the first wave yet given the increase in other states. 

26 minutes ago, Neesa said:

While I love sailing and am always positive I have little faith now we will be sailing until 2021

1 minute ago, twangster said:

I'm thinking 2021 for the U.S. with other regions possibly sooner (China specifically).

I feel the same about 2021, probably spring time (March?) but want to remain positive so holding my guess for November of this year LOL!

(I cancelled all cruises for this year, so it's positive for others, and the cruise lines financial bottom line).

18 minutes ago, Bean79 said:

They very much want a summer cruise season too, but the CDC poopooed all over that!!!:37_disappointed:

Yes they did but A Christmas Cruise and a New Years Cruise sometimes brings in more money than the whole summer season.. I go on a New Years cruise every year with my family and the prices are always sky high. The top suites are Crazy Expensive so yeah I know they want a summer season but Holiday is most important time for them so I feel like they will try to Lobby Hard for it with the CDC.. Now do I know for sure of course not just my opinion that Royal will fight hard for a holiday season more than a summer season.. 

1 hour ago, crisgold52 said:

I agree which is why I'm holding off on making any cruise planner purchases for NOV OR FEB ... the money is sitting on my credit card as a reserve but I will not make any cp purchases till one week before I leave. 

Just remember that you risk paying much higher prices through the Cruise Planner for beverage or dining packages, etc., if you skip the sales that may come along earlier (possibly Black Friday) and wait until the last minute.

My guess which is worth less than a penny because no one knows, is late spring 2021. The thing is no one knows because this virus is still skyrocketing in this country. We are not getting a handle on things. This is hurting when cruises can start here in the US, and killing the lines themselves literally. We have the power, we just ain't doing what needs to be done.  

I am still going with this year 2020. Regardless if cases are going up, there is no reason the CDC will extend the ban. 2021 is too far away, cruise lines might as well just file bankruptcy if that is the case. There will probably be stringent rules but I am sure there will be Thanksgiving and Christmas sailings. Right now a lot of people who don't want to listen are feeling the burn but by Aug things should be different. We could avoid a second wave if everyone is careful and be cruising.

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

I am still going with this year 2020. Regardless if cases are going up, there is no reason the CDC will extend the ban. 2021 is too far away, cruise lines might as well just file bankruptcy if that is the case. There will probably be stringent rules but I am sure there will be Thanksgiving and Christmas sailings. Right now a lot of people who don't want to listen are feeling the burn but by Aug things should be different. 

I like the way you think and hope you are right.  That is until I reached this point:

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

We could avoid a second wave if everyone is careful ...

There are too many "The government can't tell me what to do!" types in America.  If it were not for them cruising would be starting in a month or two.

4 hours ago, Neesa said:

With this latest cancellation (The Odyssey) RCCL offered a slide so to speak, it said I can take the sailing and apply my monies to another SHIP within a week before, same week or the week after the date scheduled. I looked but then thought, I'm not falling for that one. While I love sailing and am always positive I have little faith now we will be sailing until 2021, just my gut telling me this. I am going to miss sailing Thanksgiving as I look forward to it, but I am requesting a refund. We have too much money tied up in RCCL right now and honestly have little faith in Mr. Fain, it dwindles with every video he does. The cruise lines seem beaten down and don't seem to be fighting for their industry of their people any longer, so sorry....RANT. OVER.

Now that being said if they do sail I will go to the Cocoa Beach area and wave to my lucky fellow cruisers who had more faith then me! I would LOVE to get back to safe & healthy sailing, and we know it can be done. 

Same here re: Thanksgiving. We look forward to Thanksgiving week on an Oasis class ship every year. It’s really going to be a strange feeling not being on a ship during this time but I don’t have much faith either in 2020. 

@twangster I am trying to be optimistic. I stand by my assessment that people are inherently evil and we have to work at being kind and good.

Since I work from home, I have been helping my friend at her restaurant on the weekends. She has been open for a month: three weeks of patio seating only and one at dining room, all socially distanced. Other than the yahoos off the street with no mask who just walk in and use the bathroom without asking, everything else is going smoothly. People are desperate to be out, so they have been following all the rules. However, this is Chicago and we have been pretty good about mask, social distancing, etc.

Although Texas and Florida are seeing spikes right now, I feel like in the next month or so they will get their act together. I think the 15th of Sept is feasible, that's 10 weeks away. A lot can change in 10 weeks. I think the CLIA did the lines a favor by voluntarily suspending cruises. When China starts back in July, they will have an idea of how things can go or should go, plus enough time to implement changes.

Just now, Ampurp85 said:

@twangster I am trying to be optimistic. I stand by my assessment that people are inherently evil and we have to work at being kind and good.

Since I work from home, I have been helping my friend at her restaurant on the weekends. She has been open for a month: three weeks of patio seating only and one at dining room, all socially distanced. Other than the yahoos off the street with no mask who just walk in and use the bathroom without asking, everything else is going smoothly. People are desperate to be out, so they have been following all the rules. However, this is Chicago and we have been pretty good about mask, social distancing, etc.

Although Texas and Florida are seeing spikes right now, I feel like in the next month or so they will get their act together. I think the 15th of Sept is feasible, that's 10 weeks away. A lot can change in 10 weeks. I think the CLIA did the lines a favor by voluntarily suspending cruises. When China starts back in July, they will have an idea of how things can go or should go, plus enough time to implement changes.

I like the way you think.  So much so you have convinced me to book a December 2020 cruise ? 

3 hours ago, JohnK6404 said:

Just remember that you risk paying much higher prices through the Cruise Planner for beverage or dining packages, etc., if you skip the sales that may come along earlier (possibly Black Friday) and wait until the last minute.

Yep. I'll scoop at sales times, just because. Heck, I'm tempted to grab the standard 20% off drink package price as they might decide to randomly increase that!

Ok so being a Floridian (who’s not on a ventilator by the way ?) if schools are back in session in August and it goes well, we will be sailing in October. 

At the grocery today everyone had masks on. 

August is do or die in Florida. The 8 state universities are all starting back in person with social distancing and masks. Public schools too. If we make it through the first 2-3 weeks without a massive spike, we just may sail out of Florida. 

I’m most interested in how they will reduce capacity on board after all cancellations and Lift and Shift have taken place. Right now there are still many cabins available on my October Symphony 

33 minutes ago, Jill said:

Ok so being a Floridian (who’s not on a ventilator by the way ?) if schools are back in session in August and it goes well, we will be sailing in October. 

August is do or die in Florida. The 8 state universities are all starting back in person with social distancing and masks. Public schools too. If we make it through the first 2-3 weeks without a massive spike, we just may sail out of Florida. 

I’m most interested in how they will reduce capacity on board after all cancellations and Lift and Shift have taken place. Right now there are still many cabins available on my October Symphony 

If I post pictures of Duval Street this holiday weekend the 3rd page of predictions will all read 2021 and beyond!

15 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

If I post pictures of Duval Street this holiday weekend the 3rd page of predictions will all read 2021 and beyond!

I hope not as bars can’t sell alcohol in Florida, again. 

Duval street.....1998. Sovereign of the Seas. Last hurrah before trying for baby #2. Sloppy Joes drinking 1/2 yards of beer. Margaritaville. Somehow I ended up on a stool with a boa constrictor around my neck, a parrot on my head and a lizard on my lap. $20 for the Polaroid! ? 

Good times, RCCL, Good times. 

1 hour ago, Jill said:

Also a Floridian here.. But where in Florida do you live.. I feel like North Florida is different than South Florida.. Here in south Florida we have had the mask Rule the whole time for going into stores at least in Broward County... I want to cruise more than anything. I am ready to go now. I am not scared. I went to Vegas in June and I am going Back end of July.. With that said people are obsessed with the bad numbers in Florida.. Just because school is happening doesn't mean they will let cruises.. Also again I ask where in Florida you live because in south Florida they most likely are doing a hybrid school model where kids do distance learning half the time.. And in Palm Beach County Teachers don't even want to have any school open they want full distance learning.. So I promise not trying to criticize you just curious where in Florida you live cz down South I am scared they will be shutting us down again soon.. In Which case I need to go to Vegas quicker lol 

2 minutes ago, AGSLC5 said:

Also a Floridian here.. But where in Florida do you live.. I feel like North Florida is different than South Florida.. Here in south Florida we have had the mask Rule the whole time for going into stores at least in Broward County... I want to cruise more than anything. I am ready to go now. I am not scared. I went to Vegas in June and I am going Back end of July.. With that said people are obsessed with the bad numbers in Florida.. Just because school is happening doesn't mean they will let cruises.. Also again I ask where in Florida you live because in south Florida they most likely are doing a hybrid school model where kids do distance learning half the time.. And in Palm Beach County Teachers don't even want to have any school open they want full distance learning.. So I promise not trying to criticize you just curious where in Florida you live cz down South I am scared they will be shutting us down again soon.. In Which case I need to go to Vegas quicker lol 

I’m in North Florida. Kids are in Orlando though. Our cases suddenly spiked and all of a sudden, masks appeared! 

We don’t have nearly the “visitors” y’all have down south. 

Also have to keep in mind that if you test positive, you have to keep testing until you’re negative. Each positive after your original is ADDED to the positive cases. So our “new” cases could be double or triple of what they actually are. 

Bottom line: regardless of what the numbers are.....in order to return to any semblance of normal, the cases have to decline whether they’re real or not. 

Just now, Jill said:

I’m in North Florida. Kids are in Orlando though. Our cases suddenly spiked and all of a sudden, masks appeared! 

We don’t have nearly the “visitors” y’all have down south. 

Also have to keep in mind that if you test positive, you have to keep testing until you’re negative. Each positive after your original is ADDED to the positive cases. So our “new” cases could be double or triple of what they actually are. 

Bottom line: regardless of what the numbers are.....in order to return to any semblance of normal, the cases have to decline whether they’re real or not. 

Yes this is true.. I wear my mask lol. Do I like it no but if it helps to slow down the virus I understand.. I would even be fine with wearing it on cruise ships if it got me on quicker.. I really do hope it slows down. I would love to go on my Symphony Thanksgiving cruise. I really do think cruise lines want to be out for the holiday season but who knows what's going to happen.. 

We are sailing on a B2B Symphony of the Seas trip starting 9/19 (yes, it's right on the cut line) and have our fingers crossed. While I give us at best a 50/50 shot at making the trip (hey, sailing has to resume sometime, so why not then?), I'm mentally preparing (crying in my beer) to stay home if things don't work out. Godspeed to everyone as we survive this virus.

I am still hopeful for our October Canaries cruise out of Southampton on Anthem. Whilst UK citizens will be permitted to travel to Europe (and vice versa) from the end of this week, we are awaiting a big announcement this week regarding travel corridors with individual EU countries that will determine whether or not we will be required to self quarantine upon our return.

Rumours are that Spain will get the green light but the jury is still out on Portugal due to a current spike in Lisbon, although I expect the situation to be reviewed on a fortnightly basis and we still have just under 4 months until sail date. In my view, worst case is we skip Madeira but I don't think it will come to that.

The other unknown of course is what RCCL decides to do about the European summer season this year. Anthem is currently heading West in the Mediterranean on her way back from Mumbai and I am waiting with baited breath to see whether she turns right toward the UK or goes straight on once she passes through the Strait of Gibraltar.

1 hour ago, Ian T said:

Rumours are that Spain will get the green light but the jury is still out on Portugal due to a current spike in Lisbon, although I expect the situation to be reviewed on a fortnightly basis and we still have just under 4 months until sail date. In my view, worst case is we skip Madeira but I don't think it will come to that.

Spain have banned cruise ships indefinitely

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/cruise/1301949/Spain-coronavirus-holidays-travel-covid-cruise-cruises-news

6 hours ago, castle25 said:

Looks like that has put paid to that then... way to burst my bubble! ? It's better than than carrying on in blissful ignorance however, so I'm grateful to you for sharing.

I recently applied CP credit from a previously cancelled cruise to the booking and started spending it too, so it seems I have more pain and heartache tracking FCCs and refunds to come. ? 

I note that RCCL is still taking bookings for the sailing in question so I guess it's too much to ask to expect them to make the call to cancel ?

It's getting to the stage now where we could have more FCC than we can use, but we have about another 7 weeks before the final payment date, so I think I'll sit tight for now and hope that if I am really good and eat all my vegetables from now on, things will change for the better between now and then. Worst case is we convert it to a refund before year end.