Odyssey Canceled til April '21

Well, I'm a little disappointed, but figured this was coming.  Glad they did it well before final payment dates though.  Think I'm going to stick to my plan of not rebooking anything until sailings start though.  Still four more this year that have a good chance of getting canceled and just can't see the sense of adding more yet.

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

On the bright side, I'm booked on the new inaugural in April!  

I expect more changes to be announced though.

That's exciting. I'm not booking anything for a while. I want to see what FCC I have.

I'm sorta shocked at how bummed I feel. I knew this was a strong possibility and am pragmatic about most things, I feel this. It was my first B2B. My first time flying first class. First solo trip that I didn't book a solo room (the rates were great for the second leg).

30 minutes ago, ellcee said:

That's exciting. I'm not booking anything for a while. I want to see what FCC I have.

I'm sorta shocked at how bummed I feel. I knew this was a strong possibility and am pragmatic about most things, I feel this. It was my first B2B. My first time flying first class. First solo trip that I didn't book a solo room (the rates were great for the second leg).

Man.....I would be depressed about that myself !  So sorry.  I noticed you said in another post that you would lose your airfare.  Why is that ?  Are they not willing to move it to another date for you ?

11 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Man.....I would be depressed about that myself !  So sorry.  I noticed you said in another post that you would lose your airfare.  Why is that ?  Are they not willing to move it to another date for you ?

So far, no. non-refundable and I don't qualify for the dates listed. Only til Sept. I'll check my cruise insurance at some point. So far the flight is the only thing I'm losing. They're giving me $16.80. woof.

5 minutes ago, ellcee said:

So far, no. non-refundable and I don't qualify for the dates listed. Only til Sept. I'll check my cruise insurance at some point. So far the flight is the only thing I'm losing. They're giving me $16.80. woof.

Hmmmm....Yeah, I guess this does fall outside of most of the airlines' dates for coverage for "no rebooking fees".  Sucks.  Maybe the airlines will extend their covered dates.  I am keeping my fingers crossed for you re: insurance.  When I renewed my annual Allianz policy last month they were very explicit that they would cover NO COVID-related losses with the exception of those relating to emergency medical/evacuation costs incurred while ON the cruise.

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

When I renewed my annual Allianz policy last month they were very explicit that they would cover NO COVID-related losses with the exception of those relating to emergency medical/evacuation costs incurred while ON the cruise.

My understanding of my Allianz policy is that if I had a trip planned and the cruise portion was canceled by Royal, it doesn't matter why it was canceled; it should qualify as a cancellation by a common carrier.  

2 minutes ago, crisgold52 said:

APR 21... the start of spring. Could this be potentially a date where the fleet resumes sailing as well I wonder

i wouldn't read too much into it like that.  Odyssey is still being built and they're having issues at the shipyard with manpower due to COVID, fires, etc.  Plus I think if this is a delay that was agreed upon between Royal and the shipyard, it delays when Royal has to pony up the money to the shipyard.

Sucks..., the new ships, the deal, the perks, the cabin....was going to be a great cruise...

We are done booking cruises now till this is done..

its absurd that 2 weeks ago Royal wouldn't tell us...and now its like 6 mths of delays..come on.....not very cool in their part....

9 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

its absurd that 2 weeks ago Royal wouldn't tell us...and now its like 6 mths of delays..come on.....not very cool in their part....

I'm not convinced that they knew 100% for sure.  But when the shipyard released their public message about all of their issues and the fire, I guess they finally felt it was best to make a decision on it.

As Meyer Werft put it, the negotiations with their customers (like Royal) has been complex and lengthy.  Those negotiations most likely just reached a point where Royal could comment publicly. 

Prior to a few days ago they probably didn't know where the outcome of their talks with Meyer Werft would leave them or the delivery date. 

4 hours ago, twangster said:

On the bright side, I'm booked on the new inaugural in April!  

I expect more changes to be announced though.

How'd you do it?  I read from somewhere that the earliest sailings for Odyssey showing up are for September 2021.  Haven't had time to verify it.

21 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

How'd you do it?  I read from somewhere that the earliest sailings for Odyssey showing up are for September 2021.  Haven't had time to verify it.

April 30th she sails from Rome.  I was booked on the transatlantic to Rome and the subsequent 1st cruise in the Med.  As it turns out they canceled everything right up to that first Med cruise.  

I had a comp for March 12th Spring Break 2021 sailing canceled. Moved it to March 12th Spring Break 2022. However had to give up my extra Large Balcony room 13232 for the 4 of us, and just settle for an regular Balcony and an Interior with 2 of us in each room. At least we were able to find the Balcony and the Interior across the hall from each other and it was $400 cheaper. The difference was there was no kids sail free for 2022 sailing vs 2021 sailing. So my wife and I had to use our tier comp separately vs combining together with a better room and still not pay for the kiddos. Could be worse I guess.

3 hours ago, crisgold52 said:

APR 21... the start of spring. Could this be potentially a date where the fleet resumes sailing as well I wonder. With the continued cases spiking in the south my thought is that any cruise line wouldn't want undue risk of sailing out with many asymptomatic passengers. The american queen steamboat company that was supposed to start at the start of august is now moving back till mid August and Celestyal has cancelled thru to spring 2021m so reading the tea leaves this may indeed be the new start date if things continue on its current trajectory. This would then affect my NOV MARINER AND FEB OASIS.

I doubt that Odyssey's new inaugural has much to do with the rest of the fleet. I'm guessing even if they could speed up Odyssey a bit more, that wouldn't help much because a late transatlantic and shortened Caribbean season just isn't financially viable. Cruise lines also tend to avoid Mediterranean sailings in winter. So the only valid winter option based on weather and distance would be the Canary Islands and it might be difficult to fit Odyssey in the port schedules on a short notice. Maybe they'll add some earlier cruises for Odyssey once they're sure of  Meyer Werft's progress and COVID restrictions.