Pullmantur's Ships Will Be Returned To Royal Caribbean

10 minutes ago, Rene Desmarais said:

Didn't CBC released news yesterday, there might be talks of closing the border for a year?

Dont say that..I didn't see that and cant imagine the devastation economically that would have.....they wouldn't predict something that major that far out..they just keep renewing 30 days at a time right now...

6 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Dont say that..I didn't see that and cant imagine the devastation economically that would have.....they wouldn't predict something that major that far out..they just keep renewing 30 days at a time right now...

I agree,  the chaos it would cause..  let's hope they still go monthly..

13 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Hey, just an update from your neighbors to the south, you dont want to be here, you're not missing anything other than a big a** tire fire

On 6/30/2020 at 2:59 PM, CruisinForABruisin said:

Hey, just an update from your neighbors to the south, you dont want to be here, you're not missing anything other than a big a** tire fire

I understand the state Florida is in.  All I want is safe passge to the port of Miami and board the ship on Nov 2nd.  Wishful thinking.

4 hours ago, Rene Desmarais said:

Didn't CBC released news yesterday, there might be talks of closing the border for a year?

That will totally devastate the tourism industry along the southern Maine coast.  Canadians come down in droves during the summer....except now they aren't.

1 hour ago, crisgold52 said:

Canadians can still fly into the US just not cross by land. But good luck finding a travel insurance carrier to insure you medically when a global travel advisory is in effect for Canadians to not visit anywhere. 

Both points make it a double downer.  Driving across and flying from a U.S. airport can save a lot of $$$ but with no health coverage I guess that becomes a moot point.  

17 hours ago, Greg787 said:

That's where I'm currently at and it's eeirly empty. 

I live in the greater Portland area, but spent the first 27 years of my life in Jackman....Quebec plates on the road were always a mainstay of summer.

My wife and I went up last week....the roads were empty.  Very weird.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 8:16 PM, teddy said:

That will totally devastate the tourism industry along the southern Maine coast.  Canadians come down in droves during the summer....except now they aren't.

Yeah..I would have been there 2-3x already...we usually fly out of Bangor or Portland 2x a year...plus we usually visit Bangor 2-3 a year and sometimes Bar Harbor...so yeah....that's a lot of $$ just we spend there...multiply that by thousands and yeah, makes an impact on  a state like Maine for sure.

It's a sad day, it looks like the crew of the Monarch just transferred over to the Infinity off the coast of Aliaga, Turkey and handed over the ship to go to the breakers, they just switched off her tracking beacon.  I remember sailing on her when she was new, the Sovereign class truly did usher in the age of the modern cruise ship.  

I was actually tracking them on Marine Traffic.  The Monarch and Sovereign were off the coast of Malta for a few days since leaving Italy, the Monarch ported in St. Georges, Malta late last week and then headed to Turkey where she met up with the Infinity and offloaded crew, she then went dark as she headed for the breakers at Aliaga, Turkey.  The Sovereign looks like she's only a couple days behind, she's now in port at St. Georges, Malta, most likely preparing to head for Turkey.  You can see the top of her in the below webcam

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/webcam/malta/malta/birzebbuga/st-georges-bay.html

I just hope coneyraven isn't correct about the Majesty and Empress but it does make a lot of sense, if I had to guess I'd say he's right. ?

24 minutes ago, Jjohnb said:

I was actually tracking them on Marine Traffic.  The Monarch and Sovereign were off the coast of Malta for a few days since leaving Italy, the Monarch ported in St. Georges, Malta late last week and then headed to Turkey where she met up with the Infinity and offloaded crew, she then went dark as she headed for the breakers at Aliaga, Turkey.  The Sovereign looks like she's only a couple days behind, she's now in port at St. Georges, Malta, most likely preparing to head for Turkey.  You can see the top of her in the below webcam

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/webcam/malta/malta/birzebbuga/st-georges-bay.html

I just hope coneyraven isn't correct about the Majesty and Empress but it does make a lot of sense, if I had to guess I'd say he's right. ?

This is one of those moments when I hope I'm wrong ...... but to expand upon the thought process..... If Pullmantur recovers (and that's a big IF), she'll start out with a new fleet consisting of probably all Vision Class ships (Grandeur, Rhapsody & Vision) with Enchantment staying in Baltimore for the short term...... but who knows, it's anybody's  guess.

I think you're right, the only way Royal will be able to bring the joint venture back is if it can support itself and generate positive free cash flow, it wasn't able to do that before the pandemic with the older / smaller less efficient ships.  If it does come back, like you said, the thought will be to transfer newer / larger ships.  That really doesn't play well for the long term outlook of Majesty and Empress.  The Empress is great for smaller more remote ports like St George and Hamilton, Bermuda but as much as I'd love to cruise there again, the money is in the mass market.  The Majesty was useful in attracting first time cruisers on 3/4 day cruises to Coco Cay and getting them hooked but I think once the pandemic is gone, Royal will have more larger ship capacity to pickup those 3/4 day itineraries.  So as much of a small ship fan as I am, as we exit the pandemic, Royal may not be able to afford to be nostalgic, they'll need to base their decisions purely on cash flow in order to survive.

5 hours ago, coneyraven said:

Well now, this is interesting .....Monarch just turned around and is headed away from Turkey..... might be a last minute change of heart (or a higher bidder, who knows)

They may just be returning crew members. This may not be the end to Monarch.

Just wishful thinking here, I know Royal is not doing too good moneywise (not to mention everyone else) but it's a shame they couldn't just find a way to "store" Monarch and Sovereign somewhere for a while. I have no idea how much it would cost to keep something like them stored in some shipyard somewhere till all of this passes. There is a market for the smaller ships out there. Quite a few people prefer the smaller ship experience. And as noted there are defiantly ports of call out there that can only accommodate the smaller ships. And what happens when we'll be able to travel to Cuba again. Royal would have to pull Majesty and/or Empress from where they are currently sailing from.