FCC should be returned to who paid the bill, not named cruisers

I have a problem with the way RCI issues future cruise credit.

I paid for a family cruise, I paid for the whole cruise myself on my credit card. Not all family members will ever be comfortable cruising in the future, for some it was to be their first cruise.  I will definitely cruise in the future sometime.  Seems really unfair that i have to eat the loss on those family members that will never cruise, it amount to thousands of dollars i will lose.  If nothing else let us transfer FCC to other individuals

second problem, as long as I'm at it,  I also seems unfair that i can only apply my cruise credit to my part of the fare and not my wifes.  I mean Royal your still getting the money, why not make it easy and fair.

this is just my opinion, and has developed after all the recent cancellations

5 minutes ago, jaredhamburg said:

Yes, mine came back as 1/4 to each guest....even through the two kids were on a kids sail free sailing.....It took talking to a manager to get it resolved.....(in my favor)....

you were lucky, getting that manager

I do agree with you, FCC should be more flexible to recognize the source of the funds that were applied in the first place.  I myself have experienced this more than once.  It's approaching money laundering from some perspectives, but completely unorganized and random.  The fact that they give minor children hundreds of dollars of credit is incredible.   

If I give my sister $2,000 technically there should be tax implications.  I can do it through Royal and she evades taxation.  Nice.

Try again with a different contact center agent or escalate to a different manager.  If that doesn't work wait a bit and try again.  Unfortunately everytime time you deal with Royal customer service there is a "spin the wheel to see if you won a prize" game involved.

0aef6b2df71c648da3891037c80f01f3.gif

8 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

second problem, as long as I'm at it,  I also seems unfair that i can only apply my cruise credit to my part of the fare and not my wifes.  I mean Royal your still getting the money, why not make it easy and fair.

I realise that if the RSS team cannot find a solution to your first issue this may well be scant comfort but on your second issue you should be able to apply part of your FCC for your wife providing she was on your original booking:

Can I use part of someone else’s Future Cruise Credit to cover my own cruise fare?
Future Cruise Credits in most cases are nontransferable. This means that you cannot use someone else’s credit for your own cruise fare nor vice versa. Any remaining balance on your credit will automatically be created into a new certificate after you’ve completed your sailing.

However, if you still have a Cruise with Confidence or Global Suspension Future Cruise Certificate, any remaining balances from one person’s credit can be used to cover another passenger if they were originally booked with you. For example:

Original Booking:

Susan Smith received a $1500 FCC

Jason Smith received a $500 FCC

New Booking – Credit CAN be used for another passenger:

Susan Smith’s Cruise Fare is $1000

Jason Smith’s Cruise Fare is $1000

Susan can use the rest of her FCC for Jason because he was a passenger on the original booking.

New Booking – Credit CANNOT be used for another passenger:

Susan Smith’s Cruise Fare is $1000

Tyler Jones’s Cruise Fare is $1000 – New Guest

Susan cannot use the rest of her FCC for Tyler because he was not a passenger on the original booking. Susan would be issued a new FCC, after the completion of her sailing, for the remaining $500. The FCC will need to be redeemed by the original expiration date or within 6 months later — whichever date gives Susan the most time to use it.

This is the reason we quit taking any FCC. If I could use them more like the cash I gave them initially, we would still have a bunch of them. I would have to start a spreadsheet and make a job out of following all these things for years because every time I used a couple, they were naturally over by some margin, and guess what.....they will then issue you more FCC's for the difference. NO Thanks!

Let's see....no combining, no stacking, no transferring, etc.

Make it more like spending cash, you know, like when I gave it to you.............

We've just received our FCC, when we booked the offer was 2nd passenger gets a 60% reduction on main cruise fare, as a result I have over twice the FCC my wife does. Therefore I need to wait for a similar 60% offer again, otherwise I'll have FCC left over in my name and have to pay cash for my wive's fare, madness.

4 hours ago, Mike.s said:

We've just received our FCC, when we booked the offer was 2nd passenger gets a 60% reduction on main cruise fare, as a result I have over twice the FCC my wife does. Therefore I need to wait for a similar 60% offer again, otherwise I'll have FCC left over in my name and have to pay cash for my wive's fare, madness.

We booked our original cruise with the same offer but the FCC was awarded to us on a 50/50 basis, so it seems there is little in the way of consistency of approach... oh, and despite my wife being listed on both the old and new bookings as "Amanda" her proportion of the FCC was made out to "Mandy" (the preferred name on her CAS account) so when we tried to apply it to the new booking we received a system email the following day stating that it had been rejected because the passenger was not the same!! ?

The good news however is the CS team were very helpful and efficient in fixing the issue ?

@Matt Clarification and my fellow bloggers, just cancelled another sailing (Odyssey) and honestly I am not to excited about the offerings next year, I already have the two I liked booked previously, that I was excited about. While I utilize my amazing MEI TA I am leaving her alone until she contacts me, I can't even imagine her frustration, 100X more then mine right now. So to confirm if I utilize my FCC's but have some left over can that be turned into a cash refund or no? Will I just loose those monies? I don't want to sail just to get rid of my FCC's, this latest cancelled sailing I am just asking for the straight up cash refund, but RCCL will be up about $3800.00 if I leave everything as is, turning to you for direction and your opinions, please?

Thank You!

Not sure I exactly understand your question....but I think you are asking if you will receive a cash refund if all of your FCC is not used.  To my knowledge, the answer to that question is "no".  In the good ol' days, you could apply an FCC to an already paid-in-full booking and get it out the other side as a refund to your CC, but they are no longer allowing that (shock, shock).  IT is my understanding that if FCC is not used before it expires, it is gone - poof.

@WAAAYTOOO, I knew I could count on you! Thank you, that is exactly my question. I have enough FCC to pay for my two previously schedules sailings plus about the amount of $3,400.00 I perused the offerings and our schedule and the open windows are just plain unexciting, BUT I am going back in to create excitement because there is no way I am leaving that much money on the table, thanks so much and I hope you have a WAAAY better day then I am, stay safe & healthy!

You know where freezing over when I leave that much money behind, still waiting for that much in cruise planner purchase refunds, from April.....

i am in hell GIF

cat tapping GIF

18 minutes ago, Neesa said:

@WAAAYTOOO, I knew I could count on you! Thank you, that is exactly my question. I have enough FCC to pay for my two previously schedules sailings plus about the amount of $3,400.00 I perused the offerings and our schedule and the open windows are just plain unexciting, BUT I am going back in to create excitement because there is no way I am leaving that much money on the table, thanks so much and I hope you have a WAAAY better day then I am, stay safe & healthy!

You know where freezing over when I leave that much money behind, still waiting for that much in cruise planner purchase refunds, from April.....

i am in hell GIF

cat tapping GIF

That's my girl !!

?

I paid for all the fares for a family cruise on Celebrity. When that cruise was canceled, Celebrity was going to assign the FCC to each individual. I called them and talked to someone who couldn't help and then bumped me up to their supervisor. When I told them to look at the credit card number for each payment (which was mine) they finally agreed to give me the full FCC for all. Just keep pushing it up the line. Of course, I was on the phone for almost two hours.

I'm not sure issuing FCC per person is unusual.  Cruises are very similar to the airline industry.  For my airline tickets that I had for my cancelled March sailing, each person received a credit.  It doesn't matter to them who paid for the airline ticket.  This is the same reason each person gets cruise/airline points rather than whomever purchased the cruise/flight.  

If cruise points were similar to hotels and  went solely to the purchaser, I'd easily be Diamond Plus now.  

13 minutes ago, melski94 said:

I'm not sure issuing FCC per person is unusual.  Cruises are very similar to the airline industry.  For my airline tickets that I had for my cancelled March sailing, each person received a credit.  It doesn't matter to them who paid for the airline ticket.  This is the same reason each person gets cruise/airline points rather than whomever purchased the cruise/flight.  

If cruise points were similar to hotels and  went solely to the purchaser, I'd easily be Diamond Plus now.  

Not exactly.  In some ways it is similar but in cases where the airline cancels the flight the money or miles used go back to the original form of payment.  

I have bought and cancelled dozens of award flights with Delta and the points came back to me.  Same with credit card purchases when they cancel the flight.  

If I cancel or we use 1/2 of a booked trip then the dollar amount is named to an individual, but only when I cancel for my own reasons.   

2 hours ago, melski94 said:

and just another example of what is the wrong way of handling refunds or future credits

Absolutely wrong.  I paid i should get all the credit back to me to use as "I" see fit.

13 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

and just another example of what is the wrong way of handling refunds or future credits

Absolutely wrong.  I paid i should get all the credit back to me to use as "I" see fit.

I get annoyed when my kids, with a kids sail free booking, get FCC.  It can only be used on cruise fare.  I purchased a cruise on a kids sail free cruise.  The next cruise is kids sail free, and I cannot use it.  That is the unfair part to me.  The part paid for my wife and I are being allocated to people who may not be able to use them in time....I think the whole FCC thing is a mess and pretty arbitrary....

3 minutes ago, jaredhamburg said:

I get annoyed when my kids, with a kids sail free booking, get FCC.  It can only be used on cruise fare.  I purchased a cruise on a kids sail free cruise.  The next cruise is kids sail free, and I cannot use it.  That is the unfair part to me.  The part paid for my wife and I are being allocated to people who may not be able to use them in time....I think the whole FCC thing is a mess and pretty arbitrary....

Have you tried appealing this "rule" ?  I think some have been successful in having it overturned.

2 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Have you tried appealing this "rule" ?  I think some have been successful in having it overturned.

I did.  It took over two hours on the phone and a supervisor.  It got applied correctly.  I think I won because it was the same party doing a kids sail free cruise to moving another kids sail free cruise.

Now, this FCC is applied to a 9/25/2020 cruise out of Galveston on Enchantment of the Seas.  I just hope there is not another fiasco if (most likely when...sadly....) cruise start-up gets delayed again....I just want 2020 to be over.....Maybe I can see if the mothers of the world are still making offers to slap people into next year.....

15 hours ago, twangster said:

Not exactly.  In some ways it is similar but in cases where the airline cancels the flight the money or miles used go back to the original form of payment.  

I have bought and cancelled dozens of award flights with Delta and the points came back to me.  Same with credit card purchases when they cancel the flight.  

If I cancel or we use 1/2 of a booked trip then the dollar amount is named to an individual, but only when I cancel for my own reasons.   

Similar experience with United. When a land vacation was cancelled due to COVID-19 I received all cash portion of refund to my CC. Part of the trip was booked with miles, I received all my miles back, wife didn't get my miles. Most important, the credit portion was issued in both names, similar to Royal, but I had a choice to leave it like that or combine into one large credit, which I did.

1 hour ago, jaredhamburg said:

Maybe I can see if the mothers of the world are still making offers to slap people into next year.....

Sadly, this is no longer socially acceptable. For some reason, it’s considered abusive. These days, we can only go for “I’ll slap you into next week”.  Too bad. Longing for the good ol days