Short changed by travel insurance company/TA

I've always booked my cruises through Cruises Only. In the past it has been easy and efficient. Our July cruise on Adventure was cancelled. Royal Caribbean took care of us with refunds, etc. rather quickly. Got everything back except for $328.00 I paid for travel insurance through Cruises Only and Leisure Care. I called Cruises Only and was told quite bluntly that I was going to have to eat that amount as a loss. It seems that myself and hundreds or thousands of people who booked and purchased the insurance and did not cancel it within 10 days of purchase are not entitled to a refund. That's right, all the policies are non refundable even though there will be ABSOLUTELY NO CLAIMS FILED by anyone who bought protection for a cruise that wasn't going to happen. I will be looking at other options in the future.

2 hours ago, Fuzzywuzzy said:

I've always booked my cruises through Cruises Only. In the past it has been easy and efficient. Our July cruise on Adventure was cancelled. Royal Caribbean took care of us with refunds, etc. rather quickly. Got everything back except for $328.00 I paid for travel insurance through Cruises Only and Leisure Care. I called Cruises Only and was told quite bluntly that I was going to have to eat that amount as a loss. It seems that myself and hundreds or thousands of people who booked and purchased the insurance and did not cancel it within 10 days of purchase are not entitled to a refund. That's right, all the policies are non refundable even though there will be ABSOLUTELY NO CLAIMS FILED by anyone who bought protection for a cruise that wasn't going to happen. I will be looking at other options in the future.

That sucks to put it mildly. Kathy, our new TA from MEI told me when I asked her the same question about our policy through Allianz, that they were allowing policies to carry over until next year.

2 hours ago, Fuzzywuzzy said:

Got everything back except for $328.00 I paid for travel insurance through Cruises Only and Leisure Care.

The $328.00 is the cost of the travel insurance? Why would you get a refund for a service you paid for in order to get a refund for your cruise, which was refunded 100% back? Am I missing something?

Some insurance becomes effective the day your purchase it.  Should you have developed a qualifying medical condition or some other qualifying event occurred on day 2 after booking the insurance you could have filed a claim and received your deposit back and all, except for the cost of insurance.

In the U.S. it's quite common for house or car insurance to issue a pro-rated refund if you cancel the policy before it reached it's normal end date.  Travel insurance doesn't work that way.

Forget the pandemic for a moment.  If you book a refundable deposit cruise and acquire insurance with it then six months later before final payment due date you cancel you'll get your deposit back but you won't get insurance premium back.  The insurance has been effective since day of booking and even though you booked a refundable cruise deposit the insurance isn't refundable.  This is quite common with travel insurance.  

So sorry to hear about your experience! We too purchased a policy with Allianz for our 5/31/20 cruise. Fortunately, when it was cancelled we were able to successfully move it first to 10/4/20, and then most recently they allowed us to move it again to our existing 4/24/21 cruise after we did a L&S on the 10/4/20 cruise. Once we explained the reason each time, they just moved it to the new trip dates with no penalties or hassle, etc. Due to the current climate they have been very flexible.

2 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

The $328.00 is the cost of the travel insurance? Why would you get a refund for a service you paid for in order to get a refund for your cruise, which was refunded 100% back? Am I missing something?

If I had not purchased the insurance I still would have gotten the $100% refund, that policy had nothing to do with it, that came from Royal and I did it myself. Thus I am $328.00 in the hole. Nonetheless we have 2 cruises booked for next year and I'll just concentrate on those and take the hit as a lesson learned. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Did you re-book for a future date?  Some insurers as a good faith gesture are allowing you to change to a re-booked trip in the future if you received a 100% refund from the travel supplier.  Some annual plans are extending the expiration date by 120d in lieu of a refund.  I also recommend contacting the ombudsman for the insurance company.   I hope you and the insurance company are able to work something out.  

Our outside insurance company on one of our cruises, since Royal cancelled the trip, would not transfer the coverage to our new sailing but did immediately refund the total amount to us. Makes for good relationship with the company and we will be using them for all our future cruises. The Royal trip insurance we had on another booking we have not seen and honestly do not expect to see any refund based on the extreme lapse of time from when our cruise was supposed to take place (one of the first to cancel in early March) and the fact that we have not received all the refund for the booking for that trip.

16 hours ago, Fuzzywuzzy said:

If I had not purchased the insurance I still would have gotten the $100% refund, that policy had nothing to do with it, that came from Royal and I did it myself. Thus I am $328.00 in the hole. Nonetheless we have 2 cruises booked for next year and I'll just concentrate on those and take the hit as a lesson learned. Thanks to everyone who replied.

that is insurance, you are insuring a risk your not willing to take, that risk started from the day the insurance was effective for most it is purchase date.

could be worse you could have also spent thousands of dollars on plane tickets not covered by insurance and definitely know your not getting on one by the end of the years, so the airlines offer to change your flight at no cost is actually useless