Proposal

Sruli

Hi next year I will be taking a cruise from Barcelona on harmony of the seas and will be stopping in Rome and capri. I am looking to propose to my girlfriend I was wondering if anyone had any ideas aboard the ship or in either of those places?

Well I honestly believe that you cannot go wrong with either depending on your preference. Capri is beautiful, there is a boat tour that takes you to this grotto that is absolutely gorgeous. With Rome you have so many great ancient artifacts to choose from: Sistine Chapel, Trevi fountain etc. Even some of the basic statues along the palazzo will work. Haven't had the pleasure of sailing Harmony but if you want to do it there, I am sure the crew can help sort things out.

If you are thinking about doing it on the ship, and I can not stress this enough, GET THE CRUISE DIRECTOR INVOLVED!  They live for this kind of thing and are really good at it.  I proposed to my wide on Enchantment of the Seas nearly 20 years ago now.  The director managed to lure her on stage between acts in the main theater on formal night after finding her SeaPass card that she had "misplaced."  While doing a really funny bit with her about why it's important to never lose it, blah blah blah, the Assistant Cruise Director had met me at the back of theater, rushed me through backstage and had me appear on stage to propose.  She had NO IDEA it was happening, and we got copies of the whole thing on tape from the ship's videographers.  This was the plan we arrived at, but he had a number of ideas and possibilities: everything from quiet and romantic to a huge public declaration.

I can't offer any suggestions about those places; but if you're thinking of proposing in a place that will have a bunch of people there, then you might want to try to subtly suss out if she personally likes the idea of being proposed to in front of a crowd. At least that way you can narrow down the options, and if you do it on the ship with the CD involved then he/she would know in advance what would and wouldn't fly.

I cannot speak for the ports of call, but Central Park can be romantic at night, small crowd so not overly embarrassing, and there *should* be a ships photographer there that you can alert to your idea a few ahead of time; a small $20 dollar tip will go a long, long way here.

My wife personally wouldn't have wanted a big spectacle, so what I did (which can easily be applied to a ship) was propose in the hotel room in Las Vegas. I went to a local florist and asked to buy rose pedals (most will have tons they sell as they are destined for the trash anyway), a ton of mini led lights, and a precious moments figure to hold the ring (I flew with this stuff from NY to LAS - my anxiety!).

It was a bit more challenging to set everything up in Las Vegas, not easy to sneak back to the room ... so, while she was in the shower, I quickly set everything up so that she would exit it to it. It was rose pedals leading to the table which held the figure with ring inside a heart shape from the mini lights ... as well as mini lights leading to the table with more rose pedals. She loved it! On a ship it wouldn't be hard to run back to the room and set stuff up. If you have a balcony or higher, you can have rose pedals or something lead out to the balcony where there is a bottle of bubbly waiting (might need room stewards help with this) and something like led lights around it... (rose pedals outside might blow away).

I don't want to hijack your thread with my story, but if you would like me to share the photos for an idea for yourself, I'll be happy to add them.

Welcome to the forums, congratulations, good luck & most importantly, share your story!

On 6/28/2020 at 2:35 PM, Sruli said:

Hi next year I will be taking a cruise from Barcelona on harmony of the seas and will be stopping in Rome and capri. I am looking to propose to my girlfriend I was wondering if anyone had any ideas aboard the ship or in either of those places?

Hi , 

Here you can see 3 live blogs on the same routes , feel free to ask any questions , in Capri  there the top of the mountain location were you take a cable car , they have a nice coffee shops and wonderful view , it is most of the time more quire from the other places in Capri .: 

The first one you can find a tour to Rome using the bus and coming back with a train 

Here you can find travel to Capri , I do suggest to take the tour from the ship , you can do it cheaper by yourself but the lines will kill you 

The 360th episode of the Royal Caribbean Blog Podcast is now available, featuring how Ryan proposed to his girlfriend while on a Royal Caribbean cruise.

Ryan took his girlfriend on Oasis of the Seas, and shares what steps he took to plan the perfect proposal.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/podcast/episode-360-ryan-proposes