Passport renewals

3 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I recall they were closed for a while so it is nice to see them getting through the log.

This is right from the State Department's website.  While they still have quite a backlog to get through, it looks like they're making progress.  The last two weeks, more went out than came in, so that's positive!

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 7.55.57 PM.png

I just mailed mine in last week and they cashed the check right away (6/22) so i'm hopeful new applications are getting turned around quicker, but if you look at the info from last week if they are issuing 50K more than they receive the backlog on 1.6M is 32 weeks ?

7 minutes ago, Drewww said:

I just mailed mine in last week and they cashed the check right away (6/22) so i'm hopeful new applications are getting turned around quicker, but if you look at the info from last week if they are issuing 50K more than they receive the backlog on 1.6M is 32 weeks ?

Yeah, they're quick to cash that check. ?

I'm sure things will be ramping up now that they are returning to some level of normalcy. I'm just glad we did not need our passports.

• 9 months later...
30 minutes ago, FManke said:

Anybody have any experience with this lately? Longer or shorter wait times?

We renewed both of our kids passports separately between February and March, and it took about ~4 weeks with priority processing

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

I'd get it processed ideally 6-9 months before it is due to expire.

OK, we have cruises booked for November, March 2022, and June 2022.  Would you do it before Nov or right after? Can he use the old one if he's waiting for his new one?

6 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

Is there a limit to how far out you can be?  It would be easiest to do this summer while school is out.

I dont believe so. 

There's not really any issue with waiting closer to when it will expire, other than a handful of countries that require passports not be less than 6 months from expiration (Maritinique, Russia, and Cuba come to mind). 

The issue I always think about is will there be enough time before our next cruise to get it back in time.

1 hour ago, barjpoe said:

Our son's passport went through the wash, so it damaged

He has to get a new one. His cruise in in April 2022. When should he start the process to get it renuewed?

Now or could he wait till Setember?

thanks

He's going to need to take it to an acceptance center because it is damaged. I really wouldn't wait; just get it taken care of, especially during a period it's definitely not needed.

image.thumb.png.58271f3e4a29929fd74b500d488e9aff.png

Apply in Person (state.gov)

12 minutes ago, CFL said:

We're on a May 2022 Alaska cruise and one of our passports expires August 2022.  Is Canada one of the countries that requires 6 months left on a passport?

The Canada website doesn't say explicitly if there is a validity beyond travel dates required for US citizens.  Passports are "recommended".

One concern I'd have is with the airline if the Alaska cruise departs from Canada.  Often we see airlines establish their own policy that is tougher than the actual requirement.  An airline could for example declare you need 6 months of validity beyond travel dates not because that is actually required, it's just safer for them to train their staff on one policy rather than get into the minutia of .. if the passenger is from this country visiting that country and there is a full moon on Tuesday then...     So maybe call you airline and ask them.  

However if your Alaska cruise departs from Seattle you may be okay but is it really worth testing the limits of what you can get away with?  You have time now, the easiest approach is to just renew them since you have to anyways.  

2 hours ago, CFL said:

We're on a May 2022 Alaska cruise and one of our passports expires August 2022.  Is Canada one of the countries that requires 6 months left on a passport?

The US and Canada do not have an agreement for Canada to treat the US Passport as valid for 6 months past the expiration date, though there is an agreement for the US to treat a Canadian passport as being valid 6 months past its expiration date.

9 FAM 403.9 (U) NIV ISSUANCES (state.gov)

It took 80 days to receive my son's new passport, submitted in early February. He is 16 now, so this one is good for 10 years! I had to make an appointment with the County Clerk, I filled out the application and printed it beforehand, photo was taken on-site. It took 10 minutes, no wait or lines. 40 days after submission, my check was cashed, 40 days after that we received his old and new passport in separate envelopes (standard procedure). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2021 at 9:05 AM, FManke said:

We only have passport cards now, but need to get full passports for Oct. Do we have to fill out applications for new passports? Is there a different form if we already have the cards?

You will have to fill out the renewal applications.  I just had to do this for my husband as we are flying to Barbados in December and his passport card won't work for Caribbean flights.  He had a passport in the past, so I was able to do a renewal.  

I just sent it off today, so I will let you know how long it takes.  Of course, we normally have pretty quick service since we live in Texas and there is a passport processing place in state.

I sent in my passport and renewal form, check and new picture just like I was supposed to.  Never saw the check being processed so I was curious.  Then I get a large envelope from the National Passport Processing center.  I was so excited I said LOOK I got my passport!  Then I opened the envelope and they were RETURNING MY APPLICATION BECAUSE I FORGOT TO SIGN IT. 

mixed soup GIFARGH

The only upside was that now I can get another picture taken...the one I had sent in made me look like a serial killer.

I just went through the renewal process myself. I live in Maine, and mailed my application and everything out on 4/5. I received my new passport back on 5/10 or 5/11, I think it was, so just over a month. I didn't hear from anyone, didn't see anything, but until about 4 days before I received my passport in the mail, the check I sent had finally cleared. So if you factor in a month, you should be relatively good to go, right now. Who knows what summer peak changes?

31 minutes ago, nhilding10 said:

So if you factor in a month, you should be relatively good to go, right now. Who knows what summer peak changes?

I've already filled out our renewal forms, just waiting for my wife to be ready to go get new photos. I've already factored in the extra month! ?