Needing Passport Help

Ok, so I know that passport offices are just getting back up. I'm not looking at going on a vacation that needs a passport anytime soon. HOWEVER, I would like to take one with my family at some point. This poses a problem for me as, after reading the passport website, getting one for my daughter may be a problem. She is currently 11 years old. My husband is not her biological father. Her biological father is on her birth certificate. In order for her to get a passport I need his consent. :34_rolling_eyes: That wouldn't be so bad, but he hasn't had contact with her for about 9 years and is not in the same state as us. I do know where he lives (sort of) and the internet is great for getting information like that and his phone number. I have no idea if I did try to contact him if he would even reply at all (and I honestly doubt he would). Has anyone ever had to deal with this? What steps did you take to get the passport? How long did the process take? I would love to take her to all kinds of places, but this is a hurdle we would have to get over first. TIA!!

15 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Go to the State Department website. They address the issue as you are not the first to have it.

Yep. Out of boredom and curiosity, I just took a quick look and I am sure one of the first three under "7. show parental consent" will apply in your specific situation.

Good luck!

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/under-16.html 

My understanding is if you have divorce papers or your second husband adopted your daughter, it should be fine.  Also there is a way to stipulate that your husband is a legal guardian by getting paperwork, your marriage license might even be enough. I would call and see because it might be less stressful than you think.

48 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

Yep. Out of boredom and curiosity, I just took a quick look and I am sure one of the first three under "7. show parental consent" will apply in your specific situation.

Good luck!

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/under-16.html 

It actually doesn't. I have no contact with him at all. I have looked at the paperwork and you are supposed to show how many times you tried to contact them. I don't have his email address. He doesn't have a social media that I am aware of, and yes I've looked. They never say how many times I'm supposed to mail a letter to him or phone him for it to be approved, if I can access his information in the first place. I need to know if anyone else has had to do this and how many times was required to try and contact the other parent before being able to turn in the paperwork and it be approved. I want to make sure that I get this right and not have to go back and forth with the State Department. That is why I asked if anyone else had to actually do this. I have been on the state department's website many times looking over what they say.

@Ampurp85 We were never married (not a shining part of my life) and my husband hasn't adopted her, though we looked into it. For more purposes than just a passport, I am looking at getting legal sole custody of her. I haven't done it yet due to money and wasn't sure if it was truly necessary.

@Mrs. Thomas Ugh. Sorry, sounds stressful. My only contributing suggestion is Google his name (assume you did that) and maybe one of those sites where you can get a record of someone for his contact information (not sure if I am allowed to post site names like that but a quick Google and you'll find some).

Good luck, hopefully someone has solid advice for you! 

@Mrs. Thomas Life happens, doesn't make you any dirtier, we all shine like we should. That being said if you have been married awhile, that could prove legal guardianship from your husbands standpoint. I can't see this being an issue...unless their is a custody battle and you were trying to take your daughter away. I honestly think trying to get in contact with him twice might be enough to satisfy. I know from experience we often make things far more difficult than they have to be by overthinking. I have known two people who got the passport books for their children, uninvolved father/mothers withstanding. They just showed up with their spouse and filled out the paperwork.

I got my first passport when i was 16 years old and my mother had filled out the papers for her passport on the same day that I Had filled out the papers for my very first passport and I only had my mother’s permission but I did not have my father’s permission, so my mother and when we applied for our passports in person my mom & I each had to bring our birth certificates when to show that we are related.