Lift & Shift vs FCC

FManke

We plan on taking the same exact cruise next year. Same week and everything. The prices right now are about 10% higher than we paid. The additional 25% FCC might be eaten up by rising prices and might not seem as enticing. They haven't officially cancelled our cruise yet. Sitting at 100 days today. I suspect its coming in the next 30days or so and then we can make a decision.

The biggest advantage to Lift & Shift is the fact that they price protect your current price.  The disadvantage to L&S is that you must wait a full year for your cruise.

I would look at the cruise that you would/could L&S to and see what the prices are for your room.  If your current price is significantly lower than what they are charging for your room a year from now, L&S might be a good option.  Of course, there is always the possibility that the price on the replacement cruise could come down, but the odds are against that.

If you want to cruise sooner than 1 year from your current booking, then FCC would be a good option.  Just know that there is a significant lapse time between the time that you cancel, using Cruise with Confidence, and when you actually get your FCC/refunds.  IF the time lapse is not an issue for you, then the FCC is a good option...it just takes freakin' forever to get it all done.

13 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The biggest advantage to Lift & Shift is the fact that they price protect your current price.  The disadvantage to L&S is that you must wait a full year for your cruise.

I would look at the cruise that you would/could L&S to and see what the prices are for your room.  If your current price is significantly lower than what they are charging for your room a year from now, L&S might be a good option.  Of course, there is always the possibility that the price on the replacement cruise could come down, but the odds are against that.

If you want to cruise sooner than 1 year from your current booking, then FCC would be a good option.  Just know that there is a significant lapse time between the time that you cancel, using Cruise with Confidence, and when you actually get your FCC/refunds.  IF the time lapse is not an issue for you, then the FCC is a good option...it just takes freakin' forever to get it all done.

Our end cost was about $1800 less than what I had originally booked the cruise at. It's currently 10% above final cost. L&S might be the quickest and of course easiest course of action. Like I stated above, waiting on the FCC might just be eaten up by increasing fares. My head is spinning. I just want to cruise. I need some escargot and a lamb shank!

3 minutes ago, FManke said:

waiting on the FCC might just be eaten up by increasing fares

Have you considered having your TA just put a "hold" on your cruise until the FCC comes through ?  Michelle did this for me on a couple of different cruises and it was really awesome.  IF you have a pretty certain cruise in mind and you know that you want to book it (or pretty sure), just put a hold on it, which locks in the price, and then do the formal booking and apply the FCC's once they come in.

1 minute ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Have you considered having your TA just put a "hold" on your cruise until the FCC comes through ?  Michelle did this for me on a couple of different cruises and it was really awesome.  IF you have a pretty certain cruise in mind and you know that you want to book it (or pretty sure), just put a hold on it, which locks in the price, and then do the formal booking and apply the FCC's once they come in.

I hadn't considered that. I'm caught up in switching TA's with the MEI situation. I'll have to ask Kathy about that. I'm trying to let her breathe, since we aren't going till 10/21. I'm sure she has more pressing clients than us.

Hi, I would like to know if I have a cruise booked and only paid the deposit, am I eligible to Lift&shift and/or FCC? Im thinking of cancelling an upcoming cruise to book another one,the dates of the one I have booked don't work for us anymore, but I'm not sure if the FCC is an option with just the deposit paid. It is a non refundable deposit.

35 minutes ago, MJO said:

Hi, I would like to know if I have a cruise booked and only paid the deposit, am I eligible to Lift&shift and/or FCC? Im thinking of cancelling an upcoming cruise to book another one,the dates of the one I have booked don't work for us anymore, but I'm not sure if the FCC is an option with just the deposit paid. It is a non refundable deposit.

If your cruise meets the L&S guidelines, you can certainly do a L&S with just the deposit paid to date. We just did the same on our 10/4/20 cruise with only the $500 deposit paid and moved it to 10/3/21.

The deposit transfers and the final payment due clock also resets to the new sail date. There may be an adjustment to the port fees, expenses and taxes charge based on your new sailing, but you should not have to pay any additional amount at the time of L&S.

Also, remember that anything your purchased through the Cruise Planner will automatically be cancelled and eventually refunded to original form of payment since the CP does not transfer to the new sailing. We actually just got our CP refund today... it took about 2 weeks from the time we did the L&S.

I'm sorry I can't speak to FCC scenario with a NRD from experience, but I'm sure someone will be able to chime in shortly!