Bad weather

Lora

Well if the weatherman is correct...when we are docked in Cozumel and Falmouth both have a 80% chance of thunderstorms.  (fingers crossed they are wrong).  Do they ever change their schedule to avoid bad weather (thunderstorms...not hurricanes)?  This weather forecast stinks!!  (sailing next week on Oasis)

I wouldn't worry too much, especially this far out.  Unless the seas are rough, it's unlikely they'll change the schedule.  In addition, the storms usually pass through pretty quickly.  While it will likely rain, it might be for an hour or two and then that's it.  We had a similar forecast this past weekend when we were in the Sequoias.  However, in the end, it rained less than an hour even though there was a 70% chance of rain.

Generally a schedule or port will only be changed because of weather if it becomes unsafe or impractical to berth (tender ports are easily cancelled because of this).  Geographies like Cozumel frequently have fast moving weather systems, so while anything can happen, don't be too concerned as frequently storms in these areas are quite fleeting.

Keep in mind that the Caribbean ALWAYS has a forecast for thunderstorms, especially this time of year.  Check Florida and you will find the same thing.

The tropics always have a threat of storms. Thing is, they are fast moving storms that disappear just as quickly as they appear.  It is quite rare for an all-day soaker kind of storm.

I know it looks like a bad forecast, but I wouldn't worry about it. 

Last week I was forecast for 100% chance for labadee, Falmouth, 80% in Cayman, and 50% in Coz.

Ended up with some early morning light rain in labadee, and none in Falmouth, Cayman and Cozumel.

Rain happens, and as said above, it rarely kills the day.

I do not believe Royal has ever cancelled a port call because of just Thunder Storms. Thunder Storms and very high winds due to a Typhoon or Hurricane high seas making it unsafe yes. But not a simple Thunder Storm, as Matt pointed out these storms are a daily forecast in  this part of the World. 

In Jan of 2010 we were on Freedom's western route. Haiti had been pounded with rains and storms for days, when Tuesday came our stop was cancelled because of a mudslide risk.

We docked long enough to offload to the shore side personnel (no pax allowed off) then headed back out.

Later that afternoon is when the earthquake hit 😞